PTSD and Suicide Among Our Veterans

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by upside-down cake, Oct 7, 2013.

1. upside-down cake

upside-down cake Well-Known Member

http://www.politicalforum.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=12

There are layers to war that can peel men's minds apart with vicious efficiency. Some veterans who return home from campaign refuse to even speak of what they have witnessed or what they have done. The only veterans we are really allowed to see are those who escape unscathed and show nothing but love and dedication to "the cause".

However, those who return scared and mentally unstable tend to be mocked society and the media- not necessarily in that order. The edgy veteran who jumps at noises has become a sort of joke. And, shockingly, the very same people who champion military intervention and bash others who criticize it with the fact that people are dying for it...these very same people tend to call the people who return with PTSD- a very general term for a series of illnesses- liars, phonies, takers, or "effeminate complainers" (to avoid more profane language).

The suicide rate in the military is astounding, both in the past and in the present. The inability to deal with this by the government- whether through beauracratic tangles or seemingly evident dodges at financing such figures- has been something compounding over the decades of American military action.

And this is one of the more silent issues in the NEWS. A backstory. It's not just the present, but all throughout history, the soldier is a hero one day, forgotten the next, only to be remembered again when there's fighting to be done. So amazing a plight can be underlined when you consider that the soldiers who fought the revolution for America's freedom...were largely unpaid and, eventually, resented and suppressed by the new government.

The soldier faces many battles during his campaign- both internal and external. When he returns home, many still have to fight. I wish someone could go around and ask these men what they saw...what they witnessed...why they became this way. Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth it. Would people listen? Would the media debase views counter to national interests? Would they be chewed up and pulled apart by members on both sides of the political trench to further their own ambitions?

Ultimately, soldiers are not inherently heroic. They are men and women who, for various reasons, decide to risk their lives in service to the State. Many hope never to see combat and, during combat, the greatest political issue they consider is how soon the fighting will end. They often form the bloody tip of national interests- the battered shield of national safety. They have no power or authority over who they fight...or why they fight. Dissention is resented...ridiculed...or punished when it cannot be mitigated or negotiated with. In some ways, these are among the most tragic members of our society. Largely from the poor and working class, young and idealistic, what parent sends their child to war...to death's playgound...happily? Who condones war? Is war necessary? Are the fights that we fight...necessary?

It's that question that we should consider each and every time, and in order to do so, we should have a much greater awareness and appreciation of the costs of war on all people on all sides. But if we claim to revere those who fight, ideally, for everyone, the least we can do is ensure that everyone who fought receive adequate care and aid.

[/B]

2. upside-down cake

upside-down cake Well-Known Member

Oh, wow, sorry. I meant for this to be in the blog, not this thread.

I can't delete it, though...

3. apoState

apoState New Member

Well, I wouldn't have read it if it was in a blog. And I am glad I did. It is spot on.

4. Wizard From Oz

Wizard From Oz Banned at Members Request

No need to delete it - It is a very important point. Governments dumping on veterans seems a pretty universal thing. No matter the nation or the time period

5. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

Bah, another disguised attack piece. Nothing to see here, move along.

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

AVA to focus on vet suicides...
    :thumbsup:
    Fight against suicide tops vet group's agenda for 2014
    March 24, 2014 WASHINGTON — Broad action is needed from Congress and President Barack Obama to combat the growing problem of veterans suicide, a group representing veterans of recent wars declared Monday on Capitol Hill.

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Suicide impacting special forces...
    :omg:
    U.S. special forces struggle with record suicides: admiral
    Thu Apr 17, 2014 - Suicides among U.S. special operations forces, including elite Navy SEALs and Army Rangers, are at record levels, a U.S. military official said on Thursday, citing the effects of more than a decade of "hard combat."

8. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Yep, you called it!

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Mixed progress on lowering suicides...
    :confusion:
    Active duty military suicides drop; Reserves go up
    April 25, 2014 WASHINGTON (AP) — Suicides among Army National Guard and Reserve members increased last year, even as the number of active-duty troops across the military who took their own lives dropped by more than 15 percent, according to new data.

10. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Defense cutbacks mean financial insecurity for troops...
    :omg:
    Military Service Members Face Financial Anxiety
    May 23, 2014 — Military service members are facing on-going financial concerns with 77% of them saying they are worried, according to a recent survey commissioned by the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).

11. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Calls to Vets' Suicide Hotline Still Sent to Backup Centers...
    [​IMG]
    Report: Calls to Vets' Suicide Hotline Still Sent to Backup Centers
    21 Mar 2017 | WASHINGTON — The Veterans Crisis Line continued to send approximately 30 percent of its calls to backup centers near the end of 2016.

12. therooster

therooster Banned

Great post sir, I am glad I read it. Wouldn't have if it was a blog. President Trump campaigned on 100% support of our military. It is obvious this subject needs much attention . I will wright a letter to President Trump, I believe he really cares.