Did anything become of Einstein's gravity waves?

Discussion in 'Science' started by wgabrie, Oct 8, 2013.

1. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

Did anything become of Einstein's gravity waves?

Let me step back for a moment so that you know where I'm coming from. Earlier this year, while I was studying Bézier curve formulas, my mind started to wander. Before I knew it, I had three seemingly non-related subjects on my screen, and the more I stared between them, the more I felt that something about them was related.

Here are the 3 topics:
    1. Bézier curve: These curves are altered by a number of control points and the results of these formulas each produces a set of points of a curve from the start point to the end point.

2. Mysterious Death Valley Racetrack Playa moving rocks: There's a mystery about some rocks moving around on their own in random paths out in the desert.

3. Why do mass and distance affect gravity?: A basic description page featuring a simple gravity attraction formula.

The story about the mystery of the rock movements led me to the gravity formula but the gravity formula felt too simple to me. I mean, I GRIND numbers as an ameture hobby in recreational mathematics. And, after just previously looking at the complexity of the Bézier curve formulas it just felt wrong. Well not wrong, wrong, but just like an oversimplification. We have mass 1 and mass 2 as the primary variables. But the objects I would use this formula on: stars, planets, or rocks are not actually a single mass but a collection of countless smaller pieces each with their own masses. As they say every bit of the universe is pulling on us.

So, there's another question, why am I stuck here on Earth, through gravity, instead of being drawn towards the nearest giant star, or the black hole in the center of the galaxy (or elsewhere)? The only change is distance. Even though the gravity formula page says that's important, it doesn't explain WHY it just suggests looking up Gravitons -- a force we haven't yet observed.

If gravity were more like the Bézier curve formulas that I studied earlier that day, however, I wouldn't actually be affected more strongly by the gravity of even massive distant objects until I was already past the half-way point between, let's say the Earth and the massive star.

So I scribbled down what I thought gravity would look like if it were actually a Bézier curve with a simplified (that means totally unscientific and inaccurate) view of the individual masses of an object acting as control points:
    points Gravety.png
    Points of Gravity (click for larger view):
    The control points at the end closest to you have more of an affect on you than the points at the other end -- you would appear to move very little until past the halfway point.​

But now I'm lost. I can't move beyond this 'up in the air' concept to something more concrete and it's been bothering me, in the back of my mind, for some time now. I feel like there should be an obvious next step but I'm missing it. The only thing that sounds like it's similar to my thoughts is Einstein's gravity waves. Some background: even though I took science heavy courses in college I never actually learned about any of the forces that exist below the atomic model's level. Keep that in mind if you respond because I suspect that some of the people who post here actually do have that knowledge.

2. Perilica grad Ameriku

Perilica grad Ameriku Banned

The rocks on the Racetrack Playa move during wind/rainstorms. The water creates a thin lubricated layer of mud, and the wind literally blows the rocks around, leaving trails.

3. wgabrie

Yes, they say that the water is what moves the rocks.

I'm also wondering about gravity as its own subject unconnected with the rock movements. I just want to clarify this because there are actually two topics. They aren't as connected as they first appear even though I realize now that I structured my post to seem like I was suggesting only the topic about the rocks.

4. Perilica grad Ameriku

Perilica grad Ameriku Banned

No. The wind moves the rocks. The water just makes it easy.

So what's the question? Have gravity waves been detected?

5. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

OK...this is a subject I know a great deal about.

Einstein showed us that Gravity was actually Space-Time Curvature or the Warping of Space-Time and this warping occurs around EVERY OBJECT THAT HAS MASS.....or to be more specific....the Quantum Particle/Wave From known as the Higgs-Boson is responsible for allowing Hadrons...ie...Protons and Neutrons...to obtain MASS.

If you want to ask me ANYTHING about Gravity I can cover it.

AboveAlpha

6. FearandLoathing

FearandLoathing Well-Known Member

Not a math person at all...

But, I note something in your discourse that I would, as a biologist pondering a three sided equation, question the hypothesis of all three sides, not just two.

Gravity is One of many theories about these rocks, along with winds etc., at least it was so the last time I looked.

I also suspect the aspect of how, or why, distance affects gravity can be explained [not be me certainly, along the lines of how waves of energy lose their power over distance..

Best I can do for an ex journalist who loves plants...

7. AboveAlpha

Google....Inverse Square Law of Gravity.

It will answer your questions.

AboveAlpha

8. AboveAlpha

The thing is that people have to come to terms with the reality that we live in a MINIMUM 10 or 11 Dimensional State Universe and it could be even higher.

Gravity is simply an EXPRESSION OF ONE DIMENSIONALITY and this seems to be proven through experimentation.

AboveAlpha

9. FearandLoathing

My first reaction as to post something along the lines of "WHAT?".....

But I get it, thanks....

I knew there was an explanation....

Want to know what's really happening when leaves compost?

Just kidding, it boring to most and involves bacteria....

10. FearandLoathing

OK, gravity bends and it wears down over distance....I know way to simplistic but the best I can do...

What has always fascinated me is that there are BOTH fixed and unfixed orbits around stars....planets and planetoids, asteroids revolve around the star in a fixed, or patterned orbit.

But other bodies, meteors are unfixed, come close because of our sun's gravity, but because of other gravitational forces and inertia veer off in a radical orbit lasting sometimes millenia....

What's going on there...

Let me know if my questions are too simple...these are the questions I was too shy to ask in high school 50 years ago...

11. FearandLoathing

Eleven dimensions?

Now you have my attention...

I recall a super hero comic that went down this road in what I thought then was far from comic and was logical sounding science..

Then again Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clark and company still make a lot more sense than some "scientists" I hear today...

So, with an open mind and some intrigue, I wait your unpacking of those dimensions..

I'll save you a step, I hope, and concede that the fifth dimension is time, if you do not accept that time is a human invention designed to make sense out of eternity...

Just as light makes no sense without the dark first...

So is another dimension light perhaps?

12. AboveAlpha

I will give you an example although this example is not actually what is going on but it will allow you to grasp the concept.

You have a bunch of Marbles some are bigger or heavier then others and you have a round sink.

If you throw different marbles at different speeds and different angles to allow them to go around the drain....you will notice how some dependent upon Mass or velocity or the angle you threw them will have different orbits around the drain.

Get it?

AboveAlpha

13. AboveAlpha

Light which is comprised of Photons are Quantum Particle/Wave Forms which exist as both Particle and Wave as well as can obtain specific Frequencies and Wave Packets.

These facts show us that our Universal Reality has greater than 4 -D as 1-3-D you understand with the 4th D being Time and the rest allowing for the behavior of Quantum Mechanics.

AboveAlpha

14. FearandLoathing

I do, just as changing the quality of water will change the eddying effect, although the cause if different.

What I don't get, is how something the size of a meteor can come from zillions of miles to within a few trillion and not get caught in that gravity, how that object can continue on in a severe ellipse....

- - - Updated - - -

And on that note, quantum mechanics eludes me.

15. AboveAlpha

Because in reality...Gravity is not a Force.

It is the changing of distance and Space-Time Curvature..

The Drain is the SUN and the sink is the curved Space-Time....without the sun the sink would be like a flat board without friction.

AboveAlpha

16. wgabrie

I want to know whether the study of gravity waves has gone beyond preliminaries because we haven't observed it yet. Whether such waves behave like they have a start and end point, like a line or a curve. Or, whether gravity waves are more like a diffuse field that emanates outward from objects with mass. And, whether the waves can be bent side to side, whatever way, if another mass pulls on it.

17. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

It is a consequence of simple geometry. It is said that force is a result of an exchange of force carrying particles, gravitons in this case. Now, if a body of mass emits gravitons, then their flux at a distance x is going to be smaller by a factor of x^2, because the area they cover at that distance is larger by a factor of x^2.

This holds true in our three dimensional space. In higher or lower dimensional space the relationship is going to be different, and as an interesting consequence of that is the fact that orbits in other dimensional spaces are going to be unstable and thus complex chemistry as we know it would not be possible. And this is also a possible test for string theory, since it predicts higher number of dimensions at small distances which would make gravity stronger and lead to easier production of micro black holes in particle accelerators.

18. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Gravity waves turn out to be space dust...
    :confusion:
    Gravitational waves turn to dust after claims of flawed analysis
    Wednesday 4 June 2014 ~ Astronomers who thought they had detected echoes of the big bang may have only seen the effects of space dust

19. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I heard that some say those huge pyramid rocks were moved by pouring water on a bed of sand.

20. AboveAlpha

Cosmologists and Physicists for many years have tried to come to an understanding as far as whether our Universe is the only one of if there is indeed a Multiverse.

Many aspects of Quantum Mechanics and I have to tell you...even though I hold a degree specific to Particle Physics if I said I knew everything there was to know about Quantum Mechanics I would be LYING!!

BUT.....right now we have certain existing technology such as Quantum Computers and Cell Phones that allows us to use a PRACTICAL APPLICATION of Multiversal Theory.

That alone...say's a lot!!

AboveAlpha

21. wgabrie

I was very disappointed when the observation of polarized gravity waves fell apart after independent review.

:frown:

22. Wizard From Oz

Wizard From Oz Banned at Members Request

Yes, that is right, but the actual motive power was still supplied by humans. I believe friction is reduced in the order of 60% or so. There are other combinations of dirt and water that are even more successful but these materials were probably not available to the Egyptians

23. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

Except it didnt, it is still more likely the effect is from primordial gravitational waves than any foreground objects. Anyway, there are like 6-7 experiments now to confirm it with more precision, which should definitely show the truth.

24. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

"On March 17, 2014 scientists announced the first direct detection of the cosmic inflation behind the rapid expansion of the universe just a tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago. A key piece of the discovery is the evidence of gravitational waves, a long-sought cosmic phenomenon that has eluded astronomers until now."
    http://www.space.com/25092-cosmic-i...ves-complete-coverage-of-major-discovery.html

With video

25. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

If you already know the truth, then experiments are superfluous.