Pet care

Discussion in 'Animals & Pets' started by RedWolf, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

I just need some advice on what's the best stuff to deal with fleas? They're irritating my cat right now and I would like to get rid of them for him. I just don't want to waste my money on something that isn't really going to make a difference.

2. mamooth

mamooth Well-Known Member Past Donor

I used the Sentry brand from PetsMart. It's the same stuff (fipronil) as Frontline, but cheaper. And cheaper still than what a vet will sell you, which is the same stuff for twice as much. It works.

Do not, under any circumstances, use the stuff you'll find in the pet aisle at Walmart or the grocery store. That stuff is nasty, and cats and dogs can have very bad reactions to it. It's cheaper than Sentry, but that's because it's awful crap.

If you can, have someone help you with applying it. One to hold the cat still, one to apply the drops to the back of the neck. Since it's not cheap, you don't want to waste it.

3. smevins

smevins New Member

I can verify the cheap stuff is dicey. I had a dog I used the stuff on and then when I changed her flea collar, the one I got ended up causing a burn type skin reaction a few days after it was on. Ever since then, I just suck it up and use Frontline. It really isn't that much more expensive because you have to buy so many doses in the same box.

4. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

Sergeant's flea shampoo is what we use and we also use their flea and tick powder.

Cats hate a bath!!!

5. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

Ps...don't use anything with permethrin in it.

We use it for livestock spray( cows and pigs) but it is bad news for cats.

6. RedWolf

Yeah I'm not about to give my cat a bath. He still has claws and value my, well everything.

7. RedWolf

I'll have to give that a shot. These fleas are just really tormenting him and you hate to see him just constantly scratching.

8. RedWolf

I'm willing to dish out some money for him as long as it's not in the hundreds. If that turns out to be the case(which I don't se happening)I'll still help him, but he's helping out and getting a job.

9. justonemorevoice

justonemorevoice Well-Known Member

Use dawn or ajax. Any of the ones that are blue or green. Thats what vets use. The dye kills them.

10. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I would suggest Frontline. My husband and I are trying the less expensive stuff now...we will see how it goes but I have never had good results. I don't like how the stuff dried up on my dogs coat.

Frontline is not cheap (about $44 for a few months) but it kills the fleas in the environment as well as on the animal. It DOES have one other ingredient that the cheaper brands don't have--a type of oil that affects the life cycle of the flea.

I had an outside dog once that ended up totally infested with tics and fleas---after the frontline---the problem was eradicated from the yard.