Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year

Discussion in 'Environment & Conservation' started by Professor Peabody, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

How can this be since CO2 levels keep climbing?

Arctic Ocean Predicted To Be Ice Free By 2013

Myself I think there needs to be a major investigation into the climate scientist's who were so very wrong about what's happening right now and where the taxpayers money went, spent on what? With all the technology available how could they have been this wrong? Did they think no one would ever check or hold them accountable for the research grants they applied for? I'd say full audits for the taxpayers money they took needs to happen for all American Scientists. Any money granted to foreign scientists need to be audited as well. While we can't "force" them to cooperate, we should be able to freeze any funds currently allocated till they comply with an audit. The American Taxpayers have the right to know if we were ripped off or not.

2. Windigo

Windigo Banned

3. smevins

smevins New Member

It could just as likely be the spread of ice as glaciers melt and refreeze. Regardless, I don't think there is a thing we can do about it one way or the other. That is just human arrogance at work.

4. Professor Peabody

The arctic ice is increasing because it's warming.

5. Windigo

Windigo Banned

While I know you are joking that is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

What directly drives arctic ice loss or gain more than another single factor is wind, wind direction and magnitude. Strong southerly winds break up and drive arctic ice south where it melts in warmer waters. If an arctic warm pattern were to lower temperature gradient and reduce wind it could have a positive effect on ice growth under a certain set of circumstances.

6. Crawdadr

Crawdadr Well-Known Member

I do not think I would use only two years of data to make a decision. Climate change happens over decades and I have not decided one way or the other whether we are effecting things on a large scale. What I do know is it makes sense not to potty where you sleep, so a cleaner environment is a better one for all of us.

7. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Since progressives push climate change out of legitimate fear for the planet's well-being and not because of some sort of Marxist political motive, I'm sure they will feel very relieved to hear this news. Thanks for posting.

8. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

No doubt they'll be rushing in here to express their gratification...any time now...give 'em a few more minutes...

9. Professor Peabody

Thread posted "Dec 19 2013, 11:38 PM". I'm shocked they aren't boasting how the EU's ETS is saving the world.

10. Whig Out

Whig Out Banned

It's almost Christmas and in many Northeastern states it was 70 degrees yesterday and will be higher than that today. Although I am happy to hear any good news that indicates that global warming is slowing down it's not definitive yet by any means and when it comes from a thread that is solely meant to be a trolling thread I really don't put much weight into it. Waaa waaa liberal/conservative threads have about as much substance value as the conversations heard by kids on city corners.

11. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

:roll:

Fast growth of thin skins of ice can blow away as fast as they grew.

Imagine the Arctic is a warehouse where you kept your money.

Decades ago, the entire floor was covered with bundles of $100 bills.

Then in the last 10 years, those bundles of $100 thinned and then started disappearing from half the floor area of your warehouse.

NOW, part of the bare floor area is covered with a thin sheet of single $1 that easily blow away in the slightest breeze.

If you think that restored thin cover of trivial amounts of money means you can relax and rejoice and spend like you did when that floor had a thick covering of $100 bills, you are a Denialist.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/neverending-daily-mail-nonsense.html
    [​IMG]

Bowerbird and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Professor Peabody

[​IMG]

It's an illusion!

13. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Ooooops! I see the "daily fail" is at it again!!

Notice how they do not name the "scientists" who think we might be in for a "cooling phase" - and you know why? Because almost to a person they are the denialist scientists and you do not want them being shown to be wrong.

but once again do not confuse the word "could" with "will" and certainly do not confuse poor journalism with good science

14. Bowerbird

I some degree you are right. There is a vast amount of difference between single year and multi-year ice

15. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

They just see the peaks and not the valleys. They don't seem to understand what a trend is.

16. Bowerbird

OR the difference between "could" and "Will"

Any time a scientist says something could or might happen by a certain time they prance around shouting "it hasn't happened the whole thing is a scam - there is no global warming"

ANY excuse in a storm

17. Pardy

I think that would explain why they cherry pick climate simulations. These simulations differ by input variables, using "what if" scenarios, so many "fail" at their predictions because some variables never end up occurring. They're just "could's" and not "will's", as you said, but the denialists will find a "could" and say, "See, all earth scientists are wrong because this model said that the earth is cooling." (And, they're usually referring to simulations, not models).

I make models (mostly with MATLAB or C++) and help with analysis. I get a kick out of them telling me how they work -- what an IV is, what multiple regression is, what squared deviation is, etc. I hear "would/could/should" often.

18. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Well if you are going to go that route then you would also have to say that those "maybes" prove nothing and the "Science is setteled" crowd is wrong.

Eh?

19. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

If it's snowing it can't be getting warmer. Conservative logic 101.

20. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Who says "science is setteled" (sic)? We humans progress precisely because science is not settled. Unlike conservatives who live in 1954 in their minds...

21. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

That would be the Al gore crowd. That would also be the label anyone that has any doubt whatsoever a "denier" crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

You were saying?

22. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Al Gore? When did he qualify as a climatologist? He's a politician. I don't listen to politicians.

23. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

24. Pardy

Wow. If a simulation predicts that increased CO2 levels will cause greater temperature extremes or more chaotic weather, and that happens, then maybe increased CO2 is a significant variable? Maybe CO2 emissions should be reduced to prevent global catastrophes? Hmmm?

Cleaning up the environment is expensive, but the catastrophes caused by man-made climate change won't exactly be cheap to fix.

25. trout mask replica

trout mask replica New Member

Yep, it's the "look outside of my bedroom window" analysis on climate change....LOL.