Want to loose weight? Go to McDonald's

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by SAUER, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SAUER

SAUER New Member

The worst nightmare of everyone keeping a strict diet is a fast food meal – high-calorie, greasy and, obviously, unhealthy. However, this assumption could be wrong. Recently, a high school biology teacher from Ankeny, Iowa, consumed nothing but McDonald’s for three months and surprisingly lost 37 pounds while his cholesterol dropped from 249 to 170, KCCI reported.
    Compared to the man featured in the 2004 documentary "Super Size Me," who ate at the fast-food chain for a month, science teacher John Cisna had all his meals in his local golden arch restaurant and has shed nearly 40lbs. Cisna wanted to see what happened if he only ate McDonald’s for three months and documented all changes with his body in an amateur movie. Cisna started the diet as an experiment, demonstrating how people can eat anything as long as they stick with daily nutritional limitations of 2,000 calories and stay close to the recommended dietary allowances for carbohydrates, proteins, fat calories and cholesterol.
    Following a strict 2,000-calorie diet, Cisna’s students constructed meals for him using McDonald’s online nutritional information.
    They also tried to stay close to the recommended dietary allowances for carbohydrates, fat, proteins, and cholesterol.
    In addition to watching his caloric intake, Cisna also began walking 45 minutes a day, though he was never much of an exerciser before.
    As for the food, Cisna didn’t heavily restrict himself; his typical breakfast would be two egg white McMuffins and a bowl of maple oatmeal with 1 percent milk, lunch would be salad, and dinner would be a value meal — like a cheeseburger and fries.
    "So this isn’t something where you say ‘well he went to McDonald’s and he only had the salads’," he said. "No, I had the Big Macs, the quarter pounders with cheese. I had sundaes, I had ice cream cones."
    The owner of the local franchise was so interested in how the experiment would turn out that he agreed to provide the 90 days of meals to Cisna for free which were some 270 meals.
    Cisna appeared significantly healthier by day 90, despite the fast-food diet. He lost weight ( and documented this in the pictures) and his low-density lipoprotein, known as ‘bad cholesterol’, dropped from 173 to 113.
    "I can eat any food at McDonald’s I want as long as I’m smart for the rest of the day with what I balance it out with," Cisna said, adding "I tell people not only can I see my shoes now but I can actually tie them".
    According to the Daily Mail, Cisna’s experiment proved his theory that many people have the wrong idea when it comes to being healthy.
    "The point behind this documentary is - it's choice. We all have choices," he said. "It's our choices that make us fat, not McDonald's."
    Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_01_06/Want-to-loose-weight-Go-to-McDonalds-US-teacher-1205/

2. lizarddust

lizarddust Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you deem fast foods. Here in Asia traditional fast foods are nutritious and healthy. For example 'fer' here in Lao, the traditional noodle soup (similar to Vietnamese 'pho' but better) is virtually salt and fat free. Extremely flavoursome and filling. Nothing like a steaming hot bowl of fer on a steaming hot day. Add extra chilli, lime and herbs, and you have a fantastic meal.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny tries to get Uncle Ferd to give up his computer, but he needs it to email his g/f's...
    :wink:
    Man gives up Internet, loses 70kg in one year
    Fri, Nov 06, 2015 - CHANGE OF DIET: After 10 years of sedentary life, a man decided to replace his smartphone with a feature phone and take control of his diet and exercise regime

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Exercise doesn't necessarily help with weight loss...
    :confusion:
    Study: Exercise Alone Doesn’t Help With Weight Loss
    January 28, 2016 - Bad news for those of you who are still trying to work off those holiday pounds: No matter how much exercise you get, if that’s all you do, the needle on your scale is unlikely to move very much. A new study has found that while exercise is good for you, it may not help you lose weight.

5. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned