Gluten And Wheat Politics

Discussion in 'Other Political Issues' started by Ayvean, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Ayvean

Ayvean New Member

Gluten and modern wheat are more unhealthy than previously thought and/or admitted. In addition, more people are sensitive to wheat and gluten than previously thought (due to an inefficient healthcare system). I would like to underline the socioeconomic consequences of side effects of wheat consumption such as neurological problems, depression, lethargy, et cetera. Wheat consumption is so widespread that it is actually detrimental to our social health and economic efficiency.

[video=youtube;eSEQnlTsK1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEQnlTsK1Y[/video]

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Ukraine is the breadbasket of Europe & Russia...
    :omg:
    Wheat Prices Rise Amid Drought, Ukraine Tension
    May 02, 2014 — Poor weather conditions and tensions in Ukraine are sending wheat prices higher.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Wonder if that's the same as spelt referred to in the Bible?...
    :confusion:
    Demand Rises for Teff, Other 'New' Alternatives to Wheat
    October 30, 2015 — Wayne Carlson became a convert to Ethiopia's staple grain while doing public health work in Africa in the mid-1970s. Teff flour is the key ingredient for injera, Ethiopia's signature, spongy flatbread. It has a mild, nutty or earthy taste.

4. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

I wish people would quit trying to tell me what to eat.

There are two kinds of food...food I like....and foods I don't like.

5. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

There are three posts ahead of yours - none of which try to tell what to eat. They are merely pointing out that certain foods are detrimental to one's health.

6. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe you should quit trying people what to tell you :wink:

Eat whatever you want. I have no problem with there being alternatives, but when the alternatives taste like crap, I tend to stick to what I want that doesn't taste like the container it came in.

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

New portable gluten testing device...
    :cool:
    Company's Device Permits On-the-spot Gluten Tests
    August 30, 2016 — A California startup has developed a portable technology that will allow consumers to test their food for gluten on the go.

8. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Gluten free is just another bullchit fad brought to you by folks trying to sell you something.

9. Mr_Truth

Gluten intolerance is a fact of life for many, myself included.

10. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Maybe, less than 1% of the population.

11. Mr_Truth

That's what science says. In fact I had been told for years that there was no such problem. Then we discovered that it had been true for me all along. I imagine that this is also true for many others.

12. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Well-Known Member

Per the article provided by Waltky an estimated 15 million Americans have some or other kind of food allergy and some of them can be fatal. That amounts to 5% of the population.

I have a gluten allergy and so does my daughter. She is also allergic to eggs.

Those that don't understand what it means to have to deal with a restricted diet are fortunate but it is inane to denigrate those who do. (But par for the course, unfortunately.)

Gluten is insidious because it can be in all kinds of products. Take a can of tomatoes off the shelf in the supermarket and there would be no reason to suspect that it would contain gluten but apparently it does because wheat flour is used on the conveyor belts during the canning process.

As consumers we do have the right to know what we are buying especially when it can have a negative impact on our health.

Mr_Truth likes this.
  13. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is a lot of cultish mania around food and diets
    And obviously there are people trying to make a buck off such popular enthusiasms.
    Also, it seems like even apparently scientific nutritional advice can be ill founded

Generally speaking our digestive systems can cope with a wide range of diets

All the above leads some people to go with the comfortable notion that it is fine simply eat what ever we enjoy. But the simple fact is that pleasant palatability of a food provides no assurance of anything other than that fact. Clearly there are lots of things that people enjoy that turn out to be unhealthy for them.

If we look around at eachother, it is pretty clear that there have been some long term negative impacts of our dietary choices.

Check out metabolic syndrome from the mayo clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metabolic-syndrome/home/ovc-20197517

14. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Gluten intolerance is fashionable.

15. Deckel

Why eat food that you don't like when there are choices that you do like? Maintaining a healthy appetite is part of ensuring one gets proper nutrition. It doesn't matter how much healthier sunflower seed bread is, it still tatstes like cardboard and ergo those nutritional benefits won't be realized.

16. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

Our taste in food is no absolute thing
    Some people really like soft drinks... And find other drinks unappealing
    So, should they only drink that which appeals to them now?
    is that a healthy choice
    Is drinking soda the only enjoyable option for drinking?
    Based upon your logic, why would anyone choose to drink anything else?

17. Deckel

If everything else gags them then yes they should drink only soda. It is better to die in decades with no teeth than it is to die within days from dehydration.

18. Mr_Truth

For years I was told to take aspirin for body pains and that there was no such thing as the type of food allergies that are found to exist today. I, too, am allergic to eggs and to tomatoes. For years I would suffer from illness brought on by these foods and given aspirin to supposedly alleviate the condition. The aspirin would only get me sicker. Thankfully, we started to use acetaminophen and it worked to reduce pain and fever. It took many years for me to learn of the consequences of eating tomatoes and eggs.

Now that I am in my mid 60s, my stomach feels so much better because I no longer eat these harmful foods or use aspirin. How I wish I could have known of these hazards years before.

19. Mr_Truth

Tell that to someone whose child has died from having a severe allergy to it. Go ahead and laugh at their faces. Tell us of the consequences when you do.

20. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

More like 1 in 10. Often the cause of IBS.

Look at it this way, most people can tolerate it but wheat is a relatively new addition to human diet. In modern society it is concentrated even more in prepared foods. Our guts were never designed to eat this much wheat which is basically a complex carbohydrate. Our diets are now loaded with complex carbohydrates and it is bound to have an effect on health.

And yes, it is also a current fad.

21. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

What a load of crap. Humans have been eating wheat for 10,000 years or more. I find that folks are generally very polite to my face.

22. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Well-Known Member

Yes, and that has benefited those with gluten allergies like myself and the OP.

Speaking personally, for decades I have never known what ingredients were causing my symptoms because no one saw fit to include trace amounts of wheat in their product descriptions. It is easy enough to avoid pasta and cookies but who knew that there was gluten in vitamins? :eekeyes:

So while gluten allergies/intolerance might have only recently become fashionable it has done a great service to millions of Americans at the same time.

23. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The first identifiable wheat with enough gluten to make bread has been identified to be around 1300 BC. That is a very short time span in the history of man. Even then they did not eat it in the quantity that we do now and it was not processed like it is now.

24. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

This is simple. There are some people who have a major reaction to gluten, a lot more who have less severe negative reaction that may or may not be worth any sacrifice. Its a sliding scale impact. There are side benefits to going gluten -free that have little to do with the lack of gluten and that are instead associated with the behavior of reading labels, learning more about diet in general and consuming unprocessed foods which lay persons do not parse out in peer reviewed scientific study.

You don't need to know about the science beyond a diagnosis of celiac disease. If you are interested, go gluten- free and see if the benefits outweigh the advantages for you and your family. You don't need to justify the decision with any statements about wheat, the human gut, and evolution etc and no body else needs to refute them with tales of mass starvation and micro-nutrient malnutirion prior to wheat domestication, so they can eat their piece of toast.

Don't sweat the politics of gluten consumption, just enjoy your dinner with your family.