How does the EU work?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by spt5, Jan 8, 2014.

1. spt5

spt5 New Member

Do you know a link or a book that explains the basic operation of the European Union? Like the USA is well published to have a legislative, judicial, and an executive branch, plus a federal reserve bank, plus a hierarchy of laws with federal law first then state law, and so on. Where can I find basic information about how the EU does these, without getting lost in the details? Thanks. :)

2. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Best places to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

http://europa.eu/index_en.htm

3. Indofred

Indofred Banned at Members Request

The EU works?
    First I've heard of it.

4. Stadhouder

Stadhouder New Member

It's basically this:
    a Commission of 28 unelected officials have the right to propose legislation, which is then voted on by the European parliament (which sits half-empty due to lazy, money grabbing MEP's signing in, but never showing up). Should this legislation pass it instantly becomes the highest law in every member state (see Van Gend and Loos and Costa Enel), surpassing even the constitutions of the European member-states. The legislation passed is very diverse in scope: from the amount of water flushed down a toilet to the maximum amount of deficit on a member-state's budget.

5. Woeler

Woeler New Member

It doesn't work.

6. spt5

spt5 New Member

This is interesting, and also puzzling then. Can those "unelected" legislators legislate something like for example an ultra-nationalistic mandate for every member state, that they take away property rights from those citizens who they don't like? ... Just an example.

7. Stadhouder

Stadhouder New Member

I would imagine this would be taken to the European Court for human rights, and the law has to pass through the parliament, so there are some checks and balances.

8. spt5

spt5 New Member

Here is an example. How can it be, that the EU allows the Czech republic to ban property ownership if at least one of the associates of the business is not a Czech citizen? For example you are a German farmland investment holding and you have identified potentially profitable farmlands on sale in the Czech Republic. Now you would go and put in your bid to buy, but you can't because none of your board members are Czechs. Is the EU for real? Isn't this what the EU was supposed to fix, buy being the EU? (So, now how do you bid for grain producing lands in the beer industry? United market?)

9. Wizard From Oz

Wizard From Oz Banned at Members Request

Is there any EU legislation that trumps the position of the Czech government?

10. spt5

spt5 New Member

I can't find any, and it would be interesting to start one. How do you start one? Lands that produce the various grains for both the German and the Czech beer industry are very hot. This archaic country border does seem to turn the bidding process upside down.

11. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

The commission is nominated by the elected governments of member states (everyone gets one) and they can only propose legislation in areas over which the EU has competency. I can't see how that would fall under competencies.

12. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

13. morfeo

morfeo New Member

Does not it work?
    UE works too much better, just look at the tens useless regulations that the eurobureaucrats issue every year.

14. spt5

spt5 New Member

It appears that they have competency authority in things that don't matter that much, and they don't have it in matters that do.

Side question: why is Sardinia not Italy? What language do Sardinians speak? Not Italian? Or is it French, like the Corsicans? You have a really interesting signature! Tell us a word. :)

15. morfeo

morfeo New Member

Very shortly because it is ot.
    Sardinia not Italy because we are a different people respect italian, with our language, our history and our culture completely different from italy. We are under the italian rule only for historic unlucky coincidences.

We speak sardinian language, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinian_language) that is the only survivor of southern romance languages (that in the past comprised the romance languages spoken in africa first the arab invasion). it is more similar to spanish and catalan than the italian.

800px-Romance-lg-classification-en.png

we are ethnically different respect italian, just look at the princpial haplogroup's distibution for undesten that. for exeple the haplogroup I

792px-Distribution_Haplogroup_I_Y-DNA.svg.png

we have a history of 5 century of indipendece, 4 century under the crown of aragon and only 150 under the italian rule. So we have a culture totally different form the italian culture. We don't have mafia, we don't eat pizza and we have our traditional music.

spt5 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. tamora

tamora New Member

All EU legislation trumps all EU national member states governments. The Czech Republic joined the EU in 2004 and was required to adopt the entire Acquis Communautaire (the EU's huge body of law) to start with when it did.

17. kill_the_troll

kill_the_troll Banned

EU works good for those who get a profit with it, it doens't work for those who suffer from it. A better question is: are people aware of what they gain and what they lose with this EU? I'd say not at all...

European Union: a monetary union between different nations with no laws nor language in common lol

18. Xanadu

Xanadu New Member

It is not nessasary to study the EU, it is simply a political-financial union which clearly was created to cause an anti-attitude in many Europeans to let local politics enforce and grow (and they do)
    Look at the French voter. Yesterday twentyfive percent swung to the 'far fight', the trap worked. Because what 'politics' and propaganda are causing is motion in many Europeans.
    A problem because such movements will one day cause opposition when it starts to look like a repeat of history (and it start to look like that more and more)

19. clarisse150

clarisse150 Member

It don't work, it's not organised, especially euro! That's why there's all this problems!

20. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

It wasn't such a big problem until around 15 years ago. And now it's an organisation where everyone's trouble is shared amongst those who had little to do with it.
    And of course there's the erosion of sovereignty and the disruption to trade that it causes.

21. clarisse150

clarisse150 Member

I'm completely agree with you!
    One of the problem in the Euro zone is that countries which got this monney are too differents...! We can see now that it was an error; the majority of countries in UE who didn't adopt this monney are in a better way than the others; and, it's not possible to leave it without problem... In France, they said that there will be an inflation of 30% if we go back to the national monney, Franc. I suppose that it's the same in all the country... We're stuck, now!
    There's to much countries, too differents in UE... It can't walk like that!

22. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Absolutely. I mean we all do business differently which is a symptom of the unique cultures that inhabit Europe and it's actually a good thing.

But the EU just seems to want to merge Europe together both economically, politically and culturally and in doing so actually disrupt the relationships we already had.

Yes, thankfully our politicians weren't quite so dim as to surrender the GBP and that is to our benefit.

Well France, Germany and the UK are among the biggest contributors to the EU and should they leave then the whole EU faces dissolution.
    However the majority of people in the UK are quite tired of the EU and there are promises for a referendum from the government.
    In fact the EU and the open borders policy are at the tip of most peoples tongues when they talk about politics.

A rock and a hard place.
    It seems difficult but if I were in that situation then I'd rather cut my losses and deal with the consequences rather than eventually have to face it with far worse problems.

I agree.

23. clarisse150

clarisse150 Member

That's real! There's only the biggers countries who can act in UE; the others can just follow...! That's not really an union... And we can easly see that everything happen in Berlin...

An other problem is the identity... I've never met somebody who was an European patriot! People love their own country, not the Europe, or, really less. The union have no identity!...
    We can see that in our monney... In UK, there's people who made the country print in monney - in the euro, there's nothing more than bank's symbols... That's one of the numberous reason why I prefere the former monney... It was a real national monney, not just a bank monney...
    British are right to keep their monney - I think that nowday, they are very happy about that and we can easly understand that!...

Yes, it will be a good thing to get our former monney back... But the problem in France is that there's only the National Front, the extrem right, who want that and that if France leave Euro, I'm not sure that the money can still exist... Others European countries who don't want leave Euro will not to be very friendly with that decision!...

24. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Yes it does seem that the larger states seem to have more power in the EU than others.

I agree. Ultimately states can't sustain themselves without a common identity.

Yes it's also a part of our national identity and not just a means of exchange.

Well for a currency that's around 60 cents over the dollar I think we would have been very silly to abandon it.

There is a similar situation in the UK with potential secession from the EU.
    In the UK the only real party that actually has this policy is UKIP but the problem with them is that they've yet to mature as a party.
    Although our current coalition government is starting to realise the concerns of the public it's doubtful whether they will actually act but if they want to get elected again then they will have to do something.

Maybe in France they will form a new party which does want to leave the EU but isn't a nationalist party after all the need is there.

Well that's tough but that is the penalty for making others suffer for the benefit of a few.

25. Vlad Ivx

Vlad Ivx Active Member Past Donor

In a future not so remote, countries like Poland and Romania will be like Italy or France in economic terms. I expect that from Poland especially. Warsaw is going to be a pocket of leadership in the near future. One thing you notice about Poles is that they are very ambitious.

Who said it should have? Patriotism is becoming an obsolete idea anyway. But that's not the reason why it doesn't need one.

That should tell you a lot about the people who want the old money back.