Republican: Jesus Couldn't Be The Speaker and get 218 Republicans behind something

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Mr_Truth, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/...speaker-get-218-republicans-behind-something/

In a rare display of brutal honesty, a Republican member of the House of Representatives implied the very thing liberals have been saying for years – Republicans are the problem. As most of us are all well aware of, our country is facing yet another vote to raise the debt ceiling. Something that in the past was nothing more than a formality (also something Republicans did – without concessions – for George W. Bush seven times during his eight years in office), yet since President Obama moved into the White House conservatives have sought to try to redefine what the debt ceiling is. If you’re unsure, I recently wrote a very simple, yet detailed, article explaining it. I would encourage everyone to check it out, then share it with as many Republicans as possible. But since Obama’s election Republicans have attempted to use the debt ceiling as some kind of “hostage” to take a ransom from Democrats and the Obama Administration. This has not turned out well for Republicans, to say the least. They’ve essentially lost every one of these battles. But that’s what happens when your propaganda doesn’t match reality. See, it seems a lot of Republicans feel that if you repeat a lie enough, suddenly it will become true. You see it everywhere from the House and Senate right back to Fox News where the official talking points are spread. Well, a congressional Republican (and Boehner ally), apparently agrees with many liberals that Republicans in Congress are absolutely ridiculous. Ohio Representative Patrick J. Tiberi said: “Right now, Jesus himself couldn’t be the speaker and get 218 Republicans behind something, so I think Speaker Boehner is trying his best to come up with a plan that can get close to that. Whatever we move, there will be critics everywhere, but at the end of the day we still have to govern.” Granted, this is coming from one of his friends, but it’s still pretty accurate. After all, several prominent conservatives have attacked Pope Francis in recent months. So is it so far-fetched that they might question Jesus Christ himself if he contradicted their small-minded view of “Christianity”? Right now the latest Republican plan is to tie in a restoration of veteran benefits (something both sides are working to restore after they were cut in last year’s budget deal) in with the debt ceiling vote. Now it seems to be that Democrats oppose this idea. Not that they don’t want to restore the benefits (Harry Reid is working on a plan in the Senate to do just that), but they want a clean vote on the debt ceiling. I think Democrats don’t want to risk allowing Republicans to leverage anything in with the debt ceiling for fear that next time – they’ll do it again. Though we all know if we don’t give Democrats control of Congress this November, there’s going to be a next time no matter what happens with this current vote on the debt ceiling. But the congressman’s comments I felt showcased the extreme frustration even some Republicans are feeling as it relates to their more radical (mostly tea party) members of the GOP. Excuse me if I don’t feel sorry for the Republican party. They’re the ones who unleashed this terror known as the tea party on the American people. They essentially “sold their souls to the devil” to try to beat President Obama during the 2012 elections. Now Republicans are having to deal with the aftermath of their support for the tea party. They gave power and a voice to the most radical among them, and I’m not quite sure that they can undo what they’ve done. What was meant to usher in the Republican party to new prominence following the disastrous Bush years might actually end up being the very thing which tears their party apart.

---------------

Back in the 1960s many said Jesus would have been a leftist radical. Indeed, many of his views did square with the views they were expounding. Whether he would have been a political radical back then is debatable. One thing's for sure, he would NEVER have allied himself with the delusionals in the Republican Tea Party.

PTPLauthor and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Mr_Truth

here's why Jesus wouldn't be a Republican:

[​IMG]

3. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Jesus wouldn't be a democrat either.......

4. Mr_Truth

He would likelier be a member of the old school FDR faction and definitely endorse Social Gospel politics. :)

5. oldbill67

oldbill67 New Member

Jesus and I would have a lot in common politically, he'd be an anarchist or a Libertarian at best!:wink:

6. Mr_Truth

World's # 1 Jewish liberal:

[​IMG]

7. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Love how atheist like to bring up religion when they think it suits their cause. All the other times they are putting it down. They want it both ways.

8. CJtheModerate

CJtheModerate New Member

I don't care about Jesus's religious teachings and I sure don't care about his Political Ideology.

9. perdidochas

That article didn't say that Jesus wouldn't be a Republican. It said that “Jesus Himself Couldn’t be the Speaker and Get 218 Republicans Behind Something” - See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/...licans-behind-something/#sthash.a3CRqZE7.dpuf

Please stop misquoting (lying).

10. Mr_Truth

What atheist are you referring to?

How about addressing the issue rather than making insinuations??

11. Mr_Truth

On the one hand you quote me as saying Jesus wouldn't ally himself with Republicans, then you say something else.

Take off the hate filled blinders, please.

12. perdidochas

The title of the thread is the lie. Please reread it. I'm not full of hate at all. I'm just getting tired of all the misquoting on this site.

I did say that I didn't think that Jesus would be a Republican earlier, and I do agree with that. That said, he certainly wouldn't be a democrat either.

13. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Just another trash and bash post.

Nothing to see here.

Move along, move along.

14. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

That's the funny thing, If Jesus really did show up, he'd be opposing money grubbing churches worshipping the rich and he'd be supporting food stamps and welfare and health care for all and attacking and opposing Israel, and opposing everything "Republicans'', ********** Nation whould be like "GTF Outta here, ya'll ain't no Jesus!" Hell, he'd be healing people even if they weren't insured. They'd be so confused?

15. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

He'd also be against the liberals too.

But we all make god in out own image.

Being right is serious business in America.

16. Elcarsh

Elcarsh Well-Known Member

You neither have to believe in, nor approve of, deities to acknowledge that most people who supposedly follow the fictitious character of Jesus don't actually give a crap about most of the things he taught, like selling all the possessions of your community and distributing the money evenly.

The point is pointing out hypocrisy, not approving of christianity.

17. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

LOLZ - Is that what you took from Tiberi's statement? :lol:

I'm not sure what brand of Epic Fail we have working here - is it an Epic Logic Fail or an Epic Reading Comprehension Fail?

18. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

spot on!

19. Talon

A Leftist bumper sticker is why Jesus wouldn't be a Republican? :lol:

Given how many Democrats are so openly hostile towards Jesus' followers, I think the Nazarene would cast his support elsewhere...

20. Mr_Truth

Laughable! The people Jesus attacked the most were Pharisees or religious hypocrites such as the so called "Moral Majority" and PTL club and those right wingers who demand war in his name. All of those hypocrites are Republican and will face the severest judgment on Judgment Day.

21. Talon

Unfortunately, Republicans don't have a monopoly on hypocrisy. Look at the anti-Christian Leftists who have convinced themselves that Jesus would cozy up to people who dismiss him and his message and hate his followers. If anyone sounds and acts like the Pharisees, it's them. :lol:

22. Mr_Truth

I'm sure there are some. But I don't see any multimillion dollars "churches" spring up like PTL and Moral Majority. Do you??

23. bwk

bwk Well-Known Member

Jesus wouldn't be a Republican because he wouldn't be that misinformed as many Republicans are about the very laws they believe we can break; http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...te-caught-saying-states-can-nullify-laws.html This is really embarrassing for Joni Ernst.

---------------

Back in the 1960s many said Jesus would have been a leftist radical. Indeed, many of his views did square with the views they were expounding. Whether he would have been a political radical back then is debatable. One thing's for sure, he would NEVER have allied himself with the delusionals in the Republican Tea Party.[/QUOTE]

24. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Also. Jesus wouldn't be for Republicans either.

"A rich man has a harder time getting into heaven than a camel going through the eye of a needle."

25. Brtblutwo

Brtblutwo New Member

Today's conservatives/neoconservatives are self-proclaimed Biblical scholars. (Just as they are self-proclaimed scholars in constitutional law due to their assertions that they alone understand the thoughts and motivations of the Founding Fathers.)

This self-assured knowledge has them selectively applying their religious dogma as well as deciding which members of U.S. society deserve the protections guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

The Republican Party declared themselves the "Party of God". This declaration transformed most rank-and-file Republicans, changing their bigotry, racism, religious intolerance, and narrow-mindedness from character flaws into virtues. This transformation allows their interpretation of Jesus' will to be very flexible.

Since the GOP's ascension to "God's chosen Party", Jesus is no longer an advocate for the poor, the sick, and other weakened members of society, now, according to the "Gospel of the Right", Jesus is the servant of the very rich, His duty being to repel the impoverished hoards and their attempts to steal wealth from the upper classes.