Why we talk only about black and white?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Crosski, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Crosski

Crosski New Member

This country is changing not because of black or white. Black and white proportion is same for the years. But all other races are coming. And it really changes this country. Is it good? I don't know. White and black people built this country, this culture, this mentality, based on same religion and longstanding experience. But now people with completely different background are coming and they don't want to adopt this culture. Spending time for a black and white dispute we miss a real drastic change.

2. hoosier88

hoosier88 Well-Known Member

(My bold)

Black people were late to the Americas, just as Europeans in general & the UK specifically were. I suppose that the first Blacks in the Americas were either freedmen or slaves under Spanish & Portuguese explorers. There were some freedmen Blacks in colonial N. America, what eventually became the various colonies & then the US.

Did the first set of Blacks to the US have the same religion as the Whites? I don't think so - northern Africa (especially around the Middle East) had been mostly (?) Christian back when, up until Islam started conquering in 622 CE. The Black slaves to the Americas were from various tribes & peoples, probably animist. But certainly the Spanish & Portuguese & French & British colonists inculcated a slave form of Christianity. (& also wiped out the native languages, cultures, customs, etc. of the slaves - to the extent possible.)

All of this ignores the Native Peoples who were already here, from the days of the Asian land bridge to N. America. So, the Native Peoples are related to Asian stock - they developed corn, potato, chocolate, tobacco, tended forests & prairies, erected pyramids, written language, astronomy. & of course Chinese helped build railroads, as did Mexicans & various other immigrants looking to establish themselves.

I don't think the Black & White experience in the New World was @ all the same - they may have lived on the same land, but the standard of living, formal education, physical culture, food (see pellagra), housing, medicine, clothing - in the British colonies, @ least, where the majority of Blacks in the Old South were slaves - they didn't share the same experiences.

3. Crosski

Crosski New Member

[Did the first set of Blacks to the US have the same religion as the Whites?]

Of course, I know it. But it was long time ago. Now Blacks and Whites are native in this country in fact. They had a long history and now this is the history of one folk. With jazz and rock, food and sport, religion and behavior. Of course, there are some differences. But there is difference between Southern and Yankee, Redskin and Moneybag. And sometimes this difference is bigger than difference between Black and White from one community. But all of them together is one folk. Americans.
    I am talking about Middle East people, Indians etc. who have nothing with American culture and don't want to take it.

4. hoosier88

(My bold)

Blacks & Whites have a long history in the US, yah, in US terms - the country only dates from - DOI - 1776 CE. & Blacks were freed nationally in 1865. & then freed de jure in 1950-'60s. I think among the generation coming of age now, we can hope for more ease in treating each other across racial boundaries. The older generations - well, it's hard to break social conditioning. Most people don't even consider doing so, TMK.

I've only known a handful of people from the Middle East & India. Both sets have old cultures - the Indian is older, I think. & both sets have had glorious days behind them. The pious Islamic may not feel any need to acculturate to US popular culture norms - Hell, I have problems with that one myself, & I'm born & bred. India likewise, although India contains many cultural strands, ethnicities, religions, overlays of history, lots of conquerors & would-be conquerors.

5. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Well because most minorities issues discussions are driven by the Left and its media politicizing events in an effort to gain ideologically based advantages and to the Left Blacks are pretty much all there are in this nation. You see, they are embarrassed by Asians who simply rolled up their sleeves and then went to the head of the line via their own hard work, refusing to play the perpetual downtrodden victim for patronizing leftwingers. So the Left tries NOT to talk about Asians inside the United States.

Hispanics? Well that's a problem isn't it since last year the Left pretty much categorized ALL BROWN SKIN-TONED Hispanics as White Hispanics so that they could justify hating on the brown-skinned half native Peruvian George Zimmerman . . . and now they have no idea how to tell Hispanics, "Hey we were just kidding that you are all EVIL White people. We know that you are downtrodden brownskin-toned folk who want to get on welfare and food stamps and live off the taxpayer's teat. So all is forgiven, yes?"

So on the part of the Left there are troubling issues and problems . . . . :icon_jawdrop:

6. hoosier88

(My bold)

& what media do the Left own? Maybe the NY Times. But other major media outlets in the US seem to be in the hands of the conglomerates or Murdoch or similar, none of whom - TMK - harbor any great affection for the Left. Ideological advantages don't do much, except perhaps help make a case for a call to action.

& the Asians - Japanese, Chinese, maybe Philippines (?) - yah, they prospered by hard work, education, saving - & then the Chinese were barred by quota, & the Japanese too. & then WWII & the great Japanese Fifth Column scare, & internment, & all of a sudden, all that real estate & farms & equipment became available for pennies on the dollar.

I thought Zimmerman was born in the US, no? Doesn't that make him a US citizen? His mom was from Peru, as I recall. The dad was German? Of German descent? Course, it'd be different if'n he were from Luckenbach, TX, ja? Nah, I never worried overmuch about Zimmerman's trial. I figure he's a marked man - that level of violence - the other one died - leaves traces.

Yah, there are problems on the Left. But the minority issue - well, nearly everyone in the US now could be technically classified as a minority. It's not so much WASPs & Catholics & Jews - you can slice & dice the population by ethnicity, how many generations from immigration from the Old Country, by religion, by income, by urban/rural/suburban. And even in religion, for instance, it never was simply WASPs - it was Anglicans & Presbyterians & Baptists & all the variants thereto. Same for Jews & Catholics, really.

I think the Left in the US does better @ handling these issues. The formation of the Democratic Party recently was in the cities - which gives them a leg up in terms of meeting & interacting with other racial/cultural/ethnic groups. After all, a block party in a gated community tends to be pretty monotone, I imagine. So say hello to the future. Hope to see you there.

7. Gatewood

Hahahaha! A blast straight from a leftwing lah-lah-land Twilight Zone where reality is subsumed by fantasies. Wild.

8. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Why do you separate blacks and "the left"? Who is "the left"? Over 90% of blacks voted Democrat in the last election. They voted 90% for Al Gore in 2000. Essentially your argument makes no sense, because blacks ARE the left. A hell, the man who runs this country is a black man.

LOL, you make it seem like the left is a bunch of old white guys running everything, and blacks are this group of people outside the political spectrum. Blacks are the Democratic party today. For that matter, all minorities are.

93% of blacks voted for Obama.
    73% of Asians voted for Obama
    71% of "Hispanics" voted for Obama

All three of these "groups" represent the left.

- - - Updated - - -

George Zimmerman used to identify as white, it was even in the original police report.

That particular poster likes to repeat talking points that have been proven to be false. George Zimmerman IS white Hispanic. That's a fact.

9. Gatewood

Weird. You don't even know that your two post replies indicate intellectual schizophrenia on the subject of ethnic identity and race. Better hoist your ideology up on a car rack and inspect the shocks, wheel bearings, and transmission fluid level . . . because something is amiss there somewhere. Sheesh!

10. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Translation: I have no argument, and I admit separating blacks and the "left" was sheer stupidity on my part.