Do you Support Planned Parenthood?

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by longknife, Apr 8, 2014.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

2. Cady

Cady Well-Known Member Past Donor

Those who attack an organization by distorting the founder's words are dishonest and evil. Here is the context of her quote:

“We do not want word to get out that we want to exterminate the Negro population.” Sanger was aware of African-American concerns, passionately argued by Marcus Garvey in the 1920s, that birth control was a threat to the survival of the Black race. This statement, which acknowledges those fears, is taken from a letter to Clarence J. Gamble, M.D., a champion of the birth control movement. In that letter, Sanger describes her strategy to allay such apprehensions. A larger portion of the letter makes Sanger’s meaning clear:

It seems to me from my experience…in North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, that while the colored Negroes have great respect for white doctors, they can get closer to their own members and more or less lay their cards on the table…They do not do this with the white people, and if we can train the Negro doctor at the clinic, he can go among them with enthusiasm and with knowledge, which I believe, will have far-reaching results…His work, in my opinion, should be entirely with the Negro progression and the nurses, hospital, social workers, as well as the County’s white doctors. His success will depend upon his personality and his training by us.

The minister’s work is also important, and also he should be trained, perhaps by the Federation, as to our ideals and the goal that we hope to reach. We do not want word to out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs (Sanger, 1939, December).

http://www.trustblackwomen.org/2011...et-sanger-and-the-african-american-community-

3. longknife

longknife New Member

These were just one of many such comments made by a woman of her time when others in positions of power agreed with her. And, all one has to do is check out the statistics of minority verses white/Caucasian abortions to see where the organization is going.

4. twed

twed Banned

that one's a lost cause, despite it's good intentions.

5. Cady

Sanger's comments have been dishonestly distorted, misattributed, and taken out of context by some who are attempting to discredit Planned Parenthood. The truth is, she worked with black leaders to help black women break a cycle of perpetual pregnancy and birth. Black leaders respected her then and still honor her now for her work.

6. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

When desperate, when facts are a mirage for you, trot out this OLD and dishonest crap.

Another poster has straightened you out on what the REALITY was.

And I'll straighten you out on the FACT that Sanger, right or wrong, does NOT control Planned Parenthood NOW! She's DEAD!!!!

TRY to be honest,...Give a feeble effort to find out what Planned Parenthood is really all about.....don't let truth and education frighten you so much .

7. Pasithea

Pasithea Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Margaret Sanger was pro-life. Apparently now though the organization she founded is pro-choice so clearly what she said and thought at the time doesn't really matter anymore.

8. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

Every single, so called, quote by Sanger used by pro-lifers has been shown to be false, misrepresented or wrongly interpreted ..

Place as many 'quotes' here as you like and I will happily debunk every single one of them as being false, misrepresented or wrongly interpreted.

9. Fugazi

Sanger was a pro-lifer, in fact she would fit very well into the main stream pro-life groups of today.

“The real alternative to birth control is abortion,” wrote Dean Inge, [Dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London]. It is an alternative that I cannot too strongly condemn. Although abortion may be resorted to in order to save the life of the mother, the practice of it merely for limitation of offspring is dangerous and vicious. - http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/webedition/app/documents/show.php?sangerDoc=236637.xml

So, too, with woman’s struggle for emancipation. Women in all lands and all ages have instinctively desired family limitation. Usually this desire has been laid to economic pressure. Frequently the pressure has existed, but the driving force behind woman’s aspiration toward freedom has lain deeper. It has asserted itself among the rich and among the poor, among the intelligent and the unintelligent. It has been manifested in such horrors as infanticide, child abandonment and abortion. - http://www.bartleby.com/1013/2.html

While there are cases where even the law recognizes an abortion as justifiable if recommended by a physician, I assert that the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization. - http://www.bartleby.com/1013/10.html

It is the most amusing thing that pro-lifers try to claim that Sanger was in favor of abortion, along with the outright lies, misrepresentation and false interpretation of her words that only got to prove that pro-lifers will resort to ANYTHING in order to promote their uninformed opinion.

10. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

People bring up Margaret Sanger as if pro-choicers are conservatives and they just found out Ronald Reagen wiped his butt with Constitution. In all honesty, I would be willing to wager that not many pro-choicers living today give a crap about what Margaret Sanger may have said. No disrespect intended, she's just not relevant to a modern day pro-choice position, and in no small part because she was pro-life.

11. Fugazi

100% agree .. but I still find it utterly dishonest to try and lie and misrepresent someone purely on the basis of trying to score some brownie points.

12. longknife

longknife New Member

Are you claiming that the words in the image are false? Not true? Is so - prove it!

13. Cady

I did prove it. Do you understand that taking words from their original context changes their meaning?

14. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

So you were incapable of reading all the posts so far....so you don't really want to discuss the truth....of course not :)

15. SteveJa

SteveJa New Member

I don't support them, because they are the #1 provider of abortions in America

- - - Updated - - -

it very much is.. #1 provider of abortion

16. OKgrannie

OKgrannie Well-Known Member Past Donor

They're the #1 PREVENTER of abortions as well. They provide birth control at reduced rates and education on how to use it.

17. Pasithea

They also provide prenatal care to poor pregnant women who most certainly want to have their babies. But nooo, let's just ignore all the good PP does for women in poverty and focus solely on the fact that they provide abortion services (which accounts for 3% of all their services).

Pro-lifers really don't care about the born, you know, like born pregnant women who need access to care to give birth to healthy babies.

18. Pasithea

It is also a big provider of prenatal care to pregnant women, cancer screenings, STD screenings and a whole slew of other care to the poor. Abortion only makes up 3% of it's services.

By removing Planned Parenthoods nationwide you are putting the lives and health of so many people at risk. But oh wait, I forgot, only the unborn matter.

19. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

What does one have to do with the other?

What of the below do you object to?

Planned Parenthood believes in the fundamental right of each individual, throughout the world, to manage his or her fertility, regardless of the individual's income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or residence. We believe that respect and value for diversity in all aspects of our organization are essential to our well-being. We believe that reproductive self-determination must be voluntary and preserve the individual's right to privacy. We further believe that such self-determination will contribute to an enhancement of the quality of life and strong family relationships.

Based on these beliefs, and reflecting the diverse communities within which we operate, the mission of Planned Parenthood is

to provide comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings which preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual
    to advocate public policies which guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services
    to provide educational programs which enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality
    to promote research and the advancement of technology in reproductive health care and encourage understanding of their inherent bioethical, behavioral, and social implications

I support that mission statement- and I support the work that Planned Parenthood does.

20. SteveJa

SteveJa New Member

That's not why I don't support them

- - - Updated - - -

Wow way to be completely wrong on why I don't support planned parenthood.
    Stick to the facts I never once said get rid of planned parenthood

21. Pasithea

Most pro-lifers want to do away with PP clinics entirely. This is a serious matter and needs to be addressed whether you are actually interested in it shutting down or not.

22. SteveJa

SteveJa New Member

no, just the practice of abortion, unless the woman's life, fetus life, or the fetus is already dead. I know PP does a lot of good things too, but I can not support PP when they perform abortions so freely and even seem to brag about it at times. That's my perception

23. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

psst... do you support America... have something to tell you about some of it's founders... they supported slavery...

24. SteveJa

SteveJa New Member

pssst they also put in the amendment clause to change the constitution, so that it keeps up with the changing times.
    Slavery was never mentioned in the constitution and the 13th amendment and 14th amendment were put in place to ensure that all American citizens and in fact all people in America(even non citizens) are equally treated under the rules of the law. Segregation was allowed to go on for way too long when it was a clear cut violation of the 14th amendment.

25. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

well, blacks were only considered a partial person... and you can't say some of our founders did not own slaves... but that said... planned parenthood is not what longknife is trying to suggest either