Examples of White Privilege

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by ErikBEggs, Apr 10, 2014.

1. ErikBEggs

ErikBEggs New Member

Interesting read, from a white male's perspective.

2. Sanskrit

Sanskrit Well-Known Member

Thread and article should be retitled, "Examples of One Guy Race-Baiting Dishonestly, and Another Racist Guy Making a Race-Baiting Thread About it on a Political Forum."

3. WallStreetVixen

WallStreetVixen New Member

#WhiteDudeProblems

4. saintmichaeldefendthem

saintmichaeldefendthem New Member Past Donor

Hmmm....

I'm not white at all, but I've never seen the inside of a jail, never had a negative contact with law enforcement, never used drugs, never sold drugs, never been pulled over just for being American Indian, and I've never been discriminated against by teachers, employers, landlords, police, or any other authority.

Here's what I conclude from all that:

1. I don't get treated like a criminal because I don't act like a criminal
    2. I'm never discriminated against because contrary to what the Left would have you believe, America isn't a racist nation
    3. I've achieved precisely the level of economic prosperity that I work for and earned and no opportunity has ever been denied to me.

So, the OP is full of crap.

5. ErikBEggs

ErikBEggs New Member

So your single person anecdote is somehow supposed to mean white privilege doesn't exist?

Nice try.

6. saintmichaeldefendthem

Your OP is full of anecdotes.

7. ErikBEggs

ErikBEggs New Member

Mentioning anything YOU don't like pertaining to race is race baiting to you.

There is nothing "race-baiting" about this thread at all. It is meant to spark a discussion on white privilege from the point of view of a white male. I've posted examples from a minority point of view.. and was promptly called a racist by a bunch of confused souls who have no idea what the hell the term means.

- - - Updated - - -

How many academic studies, or anecdotes from non-white people (including myself) will you need?

8. Sanskrit

Maybe we should have more "Examples of Black Laziness," "Jewish Greed," "Homosexual Pedophelia," "Irish Drunks," or "Italian Organized Crime" type threads around here. Is that what you are getting at OP? Because this thread is not one bit different than any of those.

9. saintmichaeldefendthem

Hmm...I'm not white, you're not white, yet you see white privilege and I don't. Sounds like we choose our own worldview, doesn't it?

10. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

Meh. Not near as interesting as the story of the privileged life and career of Barack Obama.

11. ErikBEggs

ErikBEggs New Member

Enlighten me as to how his life was privileged.

12. saintmichaeldefendthem

Everyone thinks their worldview is the "real world". That's why it's called a worldview. Yours seems to be detached from reality, particularly when you make things up about children not being able to wear a hoodie or being shot because of the music they listen too. It sounds like you're a ghetto black and you ghetto blacks sound an awful lot like reservation Indians. Same victim mentality, same blame projection, same hopelessness and despair, and same refusal to accept responsibility for your life's choices. I rarely visit the reservation because I can't stand people like you and the rez is full of them.

13. Sanskrit

There is no "white privilege," any more than there is "black laziness," "jewish greed," "hispanic temper," etc. Those are bigoted statements because they attribute generalized traits or qualities to whole groups of people based on immutable characteristics alone like race or ethnicity. Anyone seriously forwarding such statements is a bigot. Anyone forwarding them based on race is a racist. Millions upon millions of whites have 1. historical oppression against them, 2. are no more "privileged" than anyone else, and in the age of affirmative action far less privileged than others.

14. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

There is absolutely white privilege and I benefit from it!

I never think about what people of other races are doing or getting away with. Are they getting into schools or getting jobs ahead of me? I don't have to think about race at all if I don't want to. I don't worry if other people on my team at work are judging me because of my race; I don't care! I don't hate and resent my country because I feel it's done me wrong ,but still feel obligated to pretend I'm as patriotic as the next (differently raced) guy.

I didn't have to give my kids "the talk." They were raised to know I expected them to be polite and respectful to police officers.

It's awesome to be white! I wouldn't do well with the bitterness and anger that American nonwhites display on this forum. I guess they get to come here to blow off steam to deal with the pile of resentments they have at living in a country they despise. But for me, I love my life, my country, and don't hate and resent my fellow Americans. That damn sure is white privilege.

15. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Perhaps the "non whites" on this forum who are supposedly bitter are tired of the racist drivel your right wing brethren post about minorities over and over and over and over and over again, eh Mike?

Nah, that can't be it.

16. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Plenty of PFers who are minorities keep telling leftwingers to cool it on all their race-baiting . . . but the problem there is one of arrogance. All leftwingers KNOW that they are correct about race and ethnic issues . . . even when people of said race or ethnicity are telling them that they are wrong. It's a marvelous example of ideological blindness.

17. saintmichaeldefendthem

It's true. I'm a Native American but you'll never gather that from the way I post. I don't act smug, I don't bash white people, and I don't play the victim. Leftists hate me.

18. Gatewood

Welllll . . . officially they cannot allow themselves to actually hate you (liberal-guilt complex) and so either they believe that you are confused or they believe that you are lying about your bloodline. Myself once I informed them that I have a brown skin tone they got . . . flustered.

19. After Hours

Heh, kind of like conservatives telling blacks they are idiots belonging to a mythical "Democrat plantation", as if they know nothing about politics, and are completely outside of the political spectrum? Hell, we have black posters here who know plenty about politics, and have refuted the "Democrat plantation" drivel conservatives come up with as an excuse for why their worthless ideology is rejected by the majority of every single minority "group" in this country, but that doesn't stop your right wing brethren with their "Democrat plantation" crap.

20. Gatewood

Oh sure you can always embrace the bitter "Woe is me/us!" mantra of "There are no opportunities for people of (fill in the blank), and so they must be given things without limit or end!" Or you can simply point to the states where there is plenty of opportunity available for everyone and see that -- gasp! -- minorities of various types generally just work and contribute to society and culture and continue to enter the middle class via their own efforts.

So absolutely there are judgment calls to be made. One can be a member of a minority and select bitterness and defeatism as a working credo or embrace a certain amount of self-reliance and the sort of self-respect that grows from a healthy work ethic. So there are always choices for INDIVIDUALS to make . . . regardless of their skin tone shading.

21. After Hours

You're Italian right? A brown skinned Italian, right? Once upon a time you weren't considered white, until the powers that be decided you were white to increase the numbers of the white population. The same thing happened to Irish folks like myself (though I'm pasty white, not brown).

I suspect when the "non Hispanic white" population gets below 50%, your right wing brethren who bash the living crap out of Mexicans now, will suddenly start calling them "white" instead of "Hispanic", so that can increase the numbers of the white population. And yes that includes George Zimmerman (who originally identified as white).

22. After Hours

Yes, and many of those minorities vote Democrat, and have no "woe is me" mentality. Hell, the ones who have the biggest "woe is me" mentality, are the far right who are always complaining about how these mean ole pesky minorities are living off the "white man's tax dollars", while at the same time complaining they are moving to "white areas" and stealing "white people's jobs".

Sure, and the same applies to your fellow conservative brethren, who have the biggest "woe is me!" mentality right now.

23. Gatewood

Actually in Texas they still mostly just call one another neighbor. While the tonal value of one's skin was a fairly big deal a half a century ago, it's generally not anymore.

This is not because people have become better human beings but because people who operate restaurants or entertainment venues or want to lease or sell something in this state . . . mostly just care if your credit is good. The point being that brown-skin-tone folks now are as likely as not to be the ones with cash in hand. That tends to put a smile on the faces of merchants and entrepreneurs and so forth and so on.

24. Gatewood

Actually . . . what I'd like to know is why generally speaking every place that the Democratic Party is mostly in control of things most of the time the minorities seem to be so poor and angry and bitter all the time.

25. After Hours

Seems to me you enjoy making crap generalizations.