Whatever Happened to the Good Old Jeep?

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by longknife, Apr 10, 2014.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

Photos_08_PhantomWorks_700x466-660x439.jpg

Defense contractors and the military R&D system always seem to come up with something new. Then, after months and years of lab testing, they send them out to the field – only to discover that the troops find the flaws and come up with their own fixes. What will replace this?

[video=youtube;iXyQPDm2w34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iXyQPDm2w34[/video]

Read more @ http://www.wired.com/2014/04/navy-phantom-badger/

:salute::flagus::salute:

2. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Jeeps were underpowered, got stuck easily, rolled over at the drop of a hat and had zero protection in the way of armour. The hummers are far better vehicle for the military. Heck we could not even get our jeeps up the hill to our GPs in Korea, but our duece-and-a-half could climb the hill with ease.

3. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

That's a torquey son of a gun, climbs 45 degree + inclines with no problems. I read they will be destroying the MRAPs shipped to Iraq at the height of the IED phenomenon. The cost of shipping them back is prohibitive vs. destroying them. They are trying sell them to any interested parties, but no takers yet. They'll probably be blow torched and used as scrap metal.

4. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

Jeeps were good, but I ran the same yamas in Korea (1st cav.) in one of the best vehicles I ever drove in the Army-The 3/4 ton truck.
    Enjoy!

5. Casper

Casper Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Jeeps were cute, not powerful enough plus the rollover issue, lost two troops in Korea and two at Ft Carson CO to them in rollovers. I was with the 2nd ID, 1/31st Inf Reg on the north side of the river, meaning actually on the DMZ at Camp Greaves, which was handed over to the ROK Army in 2004. The good thing is we never went on reverse cycle because we were always on it doing our job of running patrols and manning the GP's.