If all the Gods/Religion in Human history were real...which one would you worship?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mrbsct, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Mrbsct

Mrbsct Active Member

Title.

Please say why.

You can choose not to worship btw.

2. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

"Truth."

The ideal of Truth will be my god, because it is the son of the Reality which creates it, and the light we need into the future so as to be saved from bucking up against the facts-of-life.

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the Truth, and the way and the life."

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Cthulhu.

See supposedly "benevolent" Gods...like Jehovah in the Bible....are bipolar, waivering between "loving and merciful" and psychotically murderous.

Same for the Greco-Roman gods....who were spiteful, egomanical, jealous, and thought nothing of raping virgins to produce demi-god offspring (see above.for Jehovah).

But a malevolent god....honestly malevolent....is atleast honest. You know what you get.

So why not Lovecraft's eldritch horror who promises his followers power and revelry after he destroys all who oppose them and acts upon no phony morality, in fact, amorality.

Such truthfulness would be refreshing from a deity.

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't worship anything or anyone now and I don't see how the circumstances you describe would change that. I can't see how it would have any positive outcome.

Also, in purely practical terms, if all the gods ever imagined existed, worshiping any one of them would likely anger many others more than refusing to worship anyone of them would. Treat them mean to keep them keen. ;)

5. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

The one that gave me 72 virgins when I died I think.

6. Flintc

Flintc New Member

If all past and present gods were to suddenly turn real, we'd have one hell of a battle waged, and reality as we know it would become whimsical at best and continuously rewritten at worst. If some coalition of gods were to win the reality wars and stay agreed on one single coherent reality, I suppose we'd all worship them if they chose. But if they chose differently, we'd have no way of knowing that a zillion different realities were poofed into existence and poofed out again last night.

7. Vicariously I

Vicariously I Well-Known Member

Aphrodite.

The reason should be obvious.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Honestly, compare sex with a virgin versus a woman who "knows what she's doing".

9. badlandsleprechaun

badlandsleprechaun Banned

I worship the God who "admits" to making us, and "admits" that it was a mistake.
    The same God who took "responsibility" for us, and atoned for his mistake of making us.
    In Genesis 6:5-6 he says why he was grieved for making us. - All the imaginations of our hearts are wicked.

I know of no other God who admits to making us from dust, admits it was a mistake because of the evil in our minds, and atoned for making us.

Yahushua said " be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect". My heavenly Father made me, admitted it was a mistake, took responsibility for making me and atoned for it. PERFECT!
    Thats how you become perfect, even as YAH is perfect. You make a mistake, admit it, feel sorry for it [repent]], and atone for it. Perfect!

10. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

If I may quote Dennis Reynolds: " We don't want wild girls. We want good girls gone wild. It's important to see the transition, watch the process."

You have to remember that you have all eternity for them to learn.

11. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The one with the most power obviously.

Here's another question...If all the Gods/Religion in Human history were real.....would you choose to be an Atheist?

12. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

The one that does not require me to judge those who do not believe as I do.

13. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

You can't choose to be (or not to be) atheist. You either are or not.

This scenario doesn't really change that principle, it would just make it much more unlikely that anyone wouldn't believe any gods existed.

14. AKR

AKR New Member

Here's the twist: they remain virgins for eternity, which means you don't actually ever get to have sex with them. You're just C-teased for eternity and are actually in hell. :wink:

15. crank

crank Well-Known Member

This is interesting, because effectively this is what religionists believe is our reality. All past and present gods were/are fervently believed to be real, after all. Yet oddly, there has been no hell of a battle waged, and reality doesn't seem especially whimsical (at best). Of course, reality could be experiencing continuous re-writes and we wouldn't know, but it does seem as though the gods are very VERY lame.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd choose a god who promised an afterlife full of beardy redheads. num num.

16. Prof_Sarcastic

Prof_Sarcastic New Member

If all the gods of war were all real then I'm not going to be alive much longer anyway. And if Zoroastrianism is real, then we will all end up in paradise eventually. So, in short: it doesn't matter much. And as such, I would probably not waste my time.

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Take pregnancy and disease out of the picture and 99% of guys would want Marilyn Chambers (in her prime) over Taylor Swift.

18. cupid dave

What about the god, Truth????

Since the Science of modern times, most people bow down to the facts-of-life when they understand them.

19. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I would worship Carl Sagan.

20. cupid dave

Truth is the most powerful, because lies lead man towards failure and even extinction.
    , too.

And,... Truth can (and has) risen from the dead in generations that tried to kill it

21. cupid dave

His Science is very good, though not complete yet.
    But he can't read the Bible comprehensively or he would agree that Genesis is pretty much saying the things Science tells us about Creation.

His problem is fighting the church people who have their interpretations wrong.

22. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

He would not. It would be impossible for him to agree because he knew it would have been impossible for the sun to have formed after the Earth, for the Earth to be older than any of the stars we see at night. In order for Genesis to work, all the stars in existence would need to be younger than the Earth because God creates them after he creates the Earth. Science tells us that's impossible because without prior stars exploding and scattering their insides, there would be no sun, and with no sun, there is no Earth.

I find it hard to imagine that when Genesis was allegedly being imparted to man that God or whichever of his servants was doing the talking got the chronology all messed up. That would be like Einstein telling you how to do E=MC2 incorrectly.

And the pattern of no scientific predictability started in Genesis continues throughout the bible, spanning both the old and new testaments. That is why scientists, other than perhaps those in the hisotrical sciences like Anthropology, do not use the bible as a scientific text because it isn't a scientific text. It contains no knowledge that allows future predictions about the universe to be made. Real science can make predictions and those predictions can often be either verified or shown to be incorrect which means the science itself is incorrect and therefore must be changed. It is this method that has allowed the human race to build on it's knowledge across all the centuries.

Humans inherently know better than to trust the bible for anything other than allegory and fables because it's practically in our DNA. Experimentation, using evidence, pattern recognition, building on knowledge that came before us. We've used these techniques to create literally everything that wasn't created by natural phenomenon.

Until it can be shown the bible or any religious text contains things that allow it's science to be verified, that shows unbreakable scientific principles which can be used to make predictions, they must not be taken as anything more than what they are. Philosophy books.

23. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ahh Sagan worship...:roflol:

24. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Genesis says God created the plants BEFORE He created the Sun.

25. cupid dave

Christ = Truth
    God = Reality
    Holy Spirit = Truthfulness

Trinity = Reality, Truth, Truthfulness

- - - Updated - - -

No, Gen 1:1 says God created the heavens and the earth... all the mass of the universe.
    On "day" 4, God MADE the solar Clock by "assigning" the Sun the task of time keeper.