Major Al Qaeda Meeting Missed By Intel

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by flyboy56, Apr 16, 2014.

1. flyboy56

flyboy56 Well-Known Member Past Donor

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/15/world/al-qaeda-meeting-video/
    Washington (CNN) -- A new video shows what looks like the largest and most dangerous gathering of al Qaeda in years. And the CIA and the Pentagon either didn't know about it or couldn't get a drone there in time to strike.

U.S. officials won't comment on that, but every frame of the video is now being analyzed by the United States.
    In the middle of the clip, the man known as al Qaeda's crown prince, Nasir al-Wuhayshi, appears brazenly out in the open, greeting followers in Yemen. Al-Wuhayshi, the No. 2 leader of al Qaeda globally and the head of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, has said he wants to attack the United States. But in the video, he looks unconcerned that he could be hit by an American drone.

The video started appearing on jihadist websites recently, drawing the attention of U.S. officials and global terrorism experts. U.S. officials say they believe it's authentic.

"This is quite an extraordinary video," Paul Cruickshank, CNN terrorism analyst, said.

2. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

Where they passing out weapons from kaddafis stockpiles?

3. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Obama was playing golf or basketball or planning his next all expenses paid multimillion dollar vacation. He's a busy man and can't be bothered with things like terrorist meetings.

RiseAgainst and (deleted member) like this.
  4. flyboy56

I'm not going to put this on Obama until we know for sure our over priced intelligence services knew it was taking place and we did not send a drone in to take them all out. Obviously an opportunity was missed. The question is why it was missed?

5. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

They're too busy spying on the Tea Party and cattle ranchers.

6. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

When Bush was pres he was deemed responsible for every single thing that happened on his watch and now that obammy is pres I will hold him to the same standard.

7. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Gotta luv the notion that American Intel is infallible, and should know exactly where all the bad guys are.

You'd think that after it took ten years to nail binnie that most people would understand exactly how difficult it is tracking these scumbags.

8. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

Ukraine keep them busy.

9. flyboy56

Each and every one of those Al Qaeda leaders should be on Obama's kill list. The CIA/SOG have been tracking and killing people from that list for years now. Osama went into hiding. These guys are actively involved with the missions. If we didn't know where these guys were, shame on our intel services. If we did know and failed to exterminate them while they were gathered at this meeting, shame on us again.

10. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

We're a paper tiger now and the entire world knows it.

Jihadists are dancing in the streets unafraid.

Welcome to "Compassionville" Population: Idiots

11. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

The worst thing I can think of is that this was done with the CIA blessing as way to exact revenge against the US public for budget cuts.

I've been worried that the entire defense industry has been up to something, ever since at least that show where a US navy ship refused to deploy overseas in the name of defending the homeland, and it was actually done because of budget cuts. I think we're in the middle of a shock and awe campaign designed to increase US defense spending.

I don't think the news has yet reached the Pentagon just how far America has fallen after the Great Recession. It's always sad to watch a gilded statue collapse from the base up. But, sadly, the abundant money supply of the past just won't be there in the future, regardless of the situation or perils of the world security situation. :frown:

- - - Updated - - -

Probably yes, just like party favors.

12. Jonsa

how do you know they aren't? Under Obama, there's a fairly decent track record of killing the bad guys.

I guess the issue is knowing where they are at any given point in time. It might not be hard to find out that X is in Y village, but not in what house. would you advocate blowing up the whole village?

Collateral damage is the best recruitment aid for AQ and other Islamists that there is.
    Stomping on one while producing two more isn't necessarily the smartest strategy.

13. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Nasir al-Wuhayshi probably works for the CIA.

14. krunkskimo

krunkskimo New Member

i thought the right was against obama's drone program now.

15. Pronin24

Pronin24 New Member

Where were our drones?! Such an opportunity had been missed.

16. flyboy56

This meeting consisted of Al Qaeda leaders. Just tracking one of those guys would have led to this meeting. Obama and his covert teams are killing terrorist on his kill list on a daily basis. So how did this group of Al Qaeda leaders not get targeted? Stop justifying and providing excuses and start asking the questions that should be asked. Tax payer money is footing the huge bill for the intel services. I bet they know where you've been and where you are now.

17. flyboy56

I don't believe for a minute Obama has been compassionate towards terrorists. But I do have to wonder how this huge opportunity was missed. Something big is being planned and our intel services may be missing the clues.

- - - Updated - - -

The tax money being spend is still a huge chunk of change.

18. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

How many terrorists have been put on trial since Obama took office?

Being soft on terrorist also means looking the other way. Obama is a champion of not seeing stuff he doesnt wanna see.

19. flyboy56

When drones are killing Americans overseas without due process, yes. When drones are killing suspected terrorists sitting around the dinner table with family, yes. When suspected terrorists are attending weddings and other social gatherings, yes. But if good intel shows a group of Al Qaeda leaders are having a meeting then I say bombs away. But the key word is "good."

20. flyboy56

You really need to watch the documentary "Dirty Wars" then get back with me on just how compassionate Obama has been towards terrorists. He has his kill list and the CIA/SOG(*)to carry out assassinations.

21. Jonsa

Like I said, its amazing how many americans think their intel services should be infallible.
    I do agree that the money spent on myriad of homeland security and intelligence agencies is obscene and rife with waste.

Of course they know where I am, but then again, I ain't hiding or using spycraft to avoid detection, get covert Islamist government support or living in the middle east.

22. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

is that before or after he gave them weapons and material support to overthrow kaddafi, and Assad?

23. flyboy56

Watch the video if you haven't. And then tell me if the terrorist in the video was trying to hide.

24. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. I mean, what do they do, sit around a big oak table and look at graphs of increasing terror attacks or what?

The whole idea of asymmetric warfare is that the small side has only the most basic and rudimentary plan of attack. Terrorists increase terror by making it random, so they just basically kill people and blow stuff up higgledy-piggledy. Why would they even need a plan?

Unless, of course, they just want to stage a meeting for propaganda purposes, which seems to be working pretty well if that's the purpose here.

25. Jonsa

Now that is hilarious. You think for a moment that they would have released a video that shows them skulking in the shadows?

Look at those tens of followers and the artful editing to suggest large numbers and the fact its only a couple minutes of video.

All they'd need is 30 minutes or so to gather, shoot some agi-prop show how "fearless" they are before scattering like the vermin they resemble.