Eric Cantor "talks tough" on immigration reform...until his Primary is over-

Discussion in 'Immigration' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

by Matthew Boyle 16 Apr 2014

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor sought to distance himself from entreaties by President Obama to pass amnesty through the House, blasting Obama in a statement to the press about a phone call the two shared this afternoon on immigration.

“I told the President the same thing I told him the last time we spoke,” Cantor said in a statement. “House Republicans do not support Senate Democrats' immigration bill and amnesty efforts, and it will not be considered in the House.

Cantor's aggressive posture with Obama stands in contrast to his support for a significant immigration push in the House led by Rep. Jeff Denham (R-CA).

A White House aide also said the statement was “all staff bluster,” suggesting Cantor may be working to avoid scrutiny from conservatives as he faces a primary challenger in Virginia and plans for a potential leadership shakeup at the beginning of the next Congress.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...on-Cantor-Takes-Aggressive-Posture-With-Obama

Soon as that Primary fight is over (with some guy named "David Brat").....Eric will be free and clear, as there's no way the Tea Partyers or Nativists will run a 3rd Party/Independent candidate against him in November.

Same for a lot of Republicans. My prediction? As soon as Election Day November 2014 has passed.....the Congressional GOP will "allow" a vote on immigration reform, over the howls and screams of their Base who TOO LATE realized they were hoodwinked.

2. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I would not describe Americans who insist that our immigration laws be enforced as "nativists."

But if so that makes libs who support amnesty "Quislings."

3. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Gee, saying one thing about illegal immigration while doing the exact opposite. Sounds just like Obama.

4. expatriate

expatriate Banned

Everybody is going to have to start supporting immigration reform sooner or later. The demographic growth in the hispanic population is where more and more votes will be coming from each and every election cycle. Republicans ignore that reality at their peril.

5. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Never. The North American continent will NOT capitulate simply because you refuse to enforce the laws. To give into a lawbreaker is to encourage lawlessness. I have but one question for these traitors of our union: How much "love" shall we extend to these "immigrants", a projected 11 million? That's a 10 million increase from the "compromise of 1986" And now the union must capitulate a second time in 2014?

Here's my official proposal: If the Union must capitulate to foreign demands, then we must take the remaining Mexican territories. You can either be an American or a Mexican, but you cannot be both. Gone are the days where we'll subsidize criminal activity and foreigners in general. You won't celebrate "Latin America" but instead North American traditions.

6. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Is disrespect for the immigration laws a genetic defect of Hispanics?

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Ascribe any term you want.....Eric Cantor is going to "sell you out" once he's done with his little Primary fight. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Cool......yet he's YOUR House Majority Leader and will be again in 2015.

So keep your focus on Obama.....as he signs the "amnesty" bill that guys like CANTOR and Boehner and McConnell send to his desk in 2015. Just keep focused on Obama.....that's a good fellow.

:)

8. expatriate

expatriate Banned

Your official proposal and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee some places. The fact remains.... the percentage of the population that is non-white is growing. You can't stop that. We are not talking about ILLEGAL immigrants, but naturalized and native born citizens. America is getting more ethnically diverse and if the GOP wants a piece of that pie, they need to wise up.

9. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I'm sure cantor will try to have it both ways on the campaign trail.

But even when the election is over politicians still fear the voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, now you are saying that all non whites lack respect for the law.

10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Republicans in Congress just need to wrap up the 2014 midterms.

Once that's done (it's a "Base election" so you have to energize your Base)....they're going to start looking at the NATIONAL election of 2016 and the fact the GOP MUST try to stop hemorraghing Latino votes by being the "Party of Joe Arpaio and Pat Buchanan".

They WILL "find a way" to pass an immigration reform bill.

Oh, they'll tell their Base it's a "tough, tough, really tough bill...with no easy way to citizenship"....

then tell Latino voters "See? We're not racists...we passed immigration reform!"

And they hope (especially if Hillary runs) the GOP Base will be too distracted on the Presidential election to raise too much of a stink over the fact they were IGNORED by their own Party Leadership.

Plus the usual die-hard "My GOP Right or Wrong" partisans, like you find here, who will still vote GOP even after being "sold out", due to their knee-jerk hatred of Democrats or slavish love of the Grand Old Party......names provided by Private Message if you wish. :)

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Why? Why would Eric Cantor, who is subtlely pushing a DREAM Act bill NOW.....and yet will easily win his Primary and have ALL the Tea Partyers still vote for him in November...

"fear" them? Plus he's "safe" for 2 years...and in 2016, voting that straight Republican ticket in their desperate need for a Republican President after 8 years ...or especially if the Dem is Hillary.......he'll be re-elected again....easily.

So....where's the "fear" to come from, Mac? If YOU lived in Cantor's District....would he "fear" YOU ....not voting Republican???

12. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Politicians always have feared the voters and cantor is no exception.

13. expatriate

expatriate Banned

OK, now you are just putting words in my mouth. I'd rather you didn't.

14. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Not by my choice and a new house may result in Boehner and his pals falling from power.

Boehner, for all his faults, isn't stupid enough to put his own head in the noose amnesty would represent and he hasn't caved in yet.
    But I guess you can always hope and wish in your little dream world.

15. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

You're telling us that it hurts republicans politically with immigrant minorities by insisting that we enforce our immigration laws.

Maybe you just don't realize the implication of your words but what yore saying is that immigrant minorities and citizens from their ethnic group are natural criminals.

16. expatriate

expatriate Banned

maybe you can't seem to understand that enforcing existing immigration laws and wanting to see those laws reformed are both lawful endeavors.

Or maybe you're just a doucehbag.

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

WHY, Mac? Again, say Cantor pushed for a DREAM act for kids who came here undocumented.....and YOU lived in his Congressional District...

you going to vote for his Democratic opponent or even vote for a 3rd Party Tea Party candidate who will HELP ELECT his Democratic opponent???? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Name the figure. Seriously...pick the largest amount of money you can think of...

and I'll bet you that John Boehner is still Speaker of the House come January 2015 and Eric Cantor is still House Majority Leader.

18. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

There is nothing about the current immigration law that needs to be reformed.

What you mean is that unless Hispanics are rewarded for breaking the current law they won't vote for republicans.

19. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

LOL @ hyperbolic internet bets. Whether Bohner does or does not hold onto power is immaterial with regard to your fantasy contention.

If Boehner is not in power he cannot cave in on amnesty. If he's still in power there is no reason to believe he would suddenly not have the orange scared off him at the prospect of the backlash if he gave in to evil.

20. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Odd change from - Originally Posted by Yosh Shmenge
    "Not by my choice and a new house may result in Boehner and his pals falling from power."

Don't want to stand by your "may result" declaration???

21. expatriate

expatriate Banned

the first sentence is your opinion only. Others do not share it. The second is more of your (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)baggery.

22. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

>>>MOD EDIT: INSULT<<<

Boehner may indeed hold onto power. Or he may not.

23. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

YOU said it....how much chance do you give to your own hypothetical of "Boehner may lose power"?

50-50......30%......10%.....5%? or was it just a cheap throwaway line you don't really believe in?

24. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

I never quantified my guess and don't intend on starting now.

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I assure you more Americans share my opinion than what you and the lawless Mexicans want.

That's why amnesty has been stalled in congress for so many years.

- - - Updated - - -

The mere fact that he is being challenged and under attack within his own party represents a loss of power for him.