I just want a Mike's Hard Lemonade...

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Pasithea, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Pasithea

Pasithea Banned at Members Request Past Donor

...and to take a break from debating people who do nothing more than shout pointless insults at one another, accuse people of being hypocrites and bounce off into pointless semantics debates and chase after red herrings. What's the point? I ask myself all the time. Why am I here? Why do I have such a strong desire to debate?

Sometimes you just need a drink (or ten) after all of it, you know? :beer: :beer: :beer:

And if drinking doesn't suit your fancy maybe smoke some of the chronic instead to relax. :weed: :weed: :weed:

2. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I disagree with you already. Why Mike's Hard Lemonade? Why not a cool, crisp, beer?

3. Pasithea

Because I like Mike's Hard Lemonade. xD lol

I am a girl if that explains it better.

4. Lil Mike

Actually it does.

5. Unifier

Unifier New Member

I think the act of debate is addictive. I have seriously grown to hate this place. I've left multiple times, but I always come back. I think it fulfills some kind of internal drive for competition that's not getting met elsewhere in my life currently.

6. Pasithea

omg me too Unifier. Me too. ((o___________o))

We are competitive people. That's what it has to be.

7. AndrogynousMale

AndrogynousMale Active Member

This describes my experience here as well. I left back in October for a week, but came crawling back because this place is addictive. I haven't been posting much lately, but every now and then, I'll come on here and have posting sprees.

8. Lil Mike

I totally disagree with you.

9. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

In real life I can't be like this.

My instinct is to interrupt anyone talking and say "not necessarily..." which make enemies of people quickly (or at least gets you a rep as a jerk). My only redeeming qualities are that I hate bullies and gravitate towards mutual solutions.

So here I can be as much of a jerk or a hero as I want to be, and when I'm done I push a button and everyone here disappears.

10. Pasithea

Dangit Mike! Bringing debates in this thread of relaxation! lol

11. Lil Mike

Ha! Then debate isn't an addiction and having a thread to relax and talk about malt beverages is de facto proof!

Resolved: I win. Unless of course CEDA throws out the rules because I've unfairly used white privilege.

12. Pasithea

lol Nice.

13. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

At least in the abortion and religion sections, I'm bascially arguing with the same people everytime. It is somewhat of a pointless endeavor. No one is having their opinions changed, so we're all wasting one another"s time I suppose.

14. Lil Mike

I don't think I've ever changed anyone's mind, but I've had my mind changed on rare occasions, and I've leaned how to hone my arguments from debating the other side.

And then I would have a beer, not a Mike's Hard Lemonade, afterwards.

15. Pasithea

You wouldn't even have a Lil Mike's Hard Lemonade? xD

16. Pasithea

I think people are just naturally stubborn and hate to admit they are wrong, I know I certainly am.

It's weird though because when I do finally give in and admit I was wrong in a debate or made a mistake, those ever so rare times I do, I feel a lot better afterwards. 'Course it doesn't help when people intentionally try to make you feel bad about it repeatedly afterwards for admitting your mistakes. =(

That's probably what fuels people's denials and inability to admit they are wrong too. Also I think the fact that we aren't debating face to face makes it harder for us to relate to one another and so we just really push each other's buttons to the max. That's one drawback of Internet debating (one advantage though is no one can interrupt you while you talk lol ).

17. Lil Mike

Ha! I'd have both a Mike's and a Lil Mike's Hard Lemonade. I would just prefer the beer.

18. Pasithea

lol I like beer, I used to drink it myself, but the carbonation from beer really kills me. It just ignites my esophageal inflamation. I'll have the occasional MHL and it seems to be a bit softer on my insides. But I can't drink carbonated stuff regularly anymore. Probably a good thing though since I've lost some weight after I cut soda out and my teeth are much happier for it too.

19. Lil Mike

Aren't those malted beverages carbonated as well? I at least thought they were.

20. mikezila

mikezila New Member

my browser stopped before "lemonade" and i'm all what the ham?! if my gf reads this, she's gonna beat me like a pinata.

hopefully she'd stop before i started disliking it. :-D

21. Pasithea

lol!!!

22. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I come here to make myself smarter. I don't believe smart is just knowing information, but also how people work, what drives them. I also come here to get a glimpse of a wider sampling of people than I'm exposed to in my daily life. There are views here I would have never considered before.

As weird as it sounds, I've grown because of this place. I've seen ugliness and beauty, sense and ignorance, hope and apathy.

There's even a small amount of strategy, of competition to be had here. Who can make the best argument, who can make the wittiest argument while remaining true to the point. Words are so interesting even before considering the ideas they're meant to convey.

I don't know that there's been any situations where I've completely reversed my thinking on an issue, but the variety of viewpoints I've seen here has 100% made me think deeper about a lot of things. Religion comes to mind. I'm still the atheist I was when I came here but I have felt a tangible sense of tolerance enter into my life on this topic. I have definitely grown. I used to be a snarky well....(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) when it came to religion. I was one of those people who'd insult folks, say religion was a mental illness, that sort of thing. I don't do that anymore nor do I want to. I've come to understand religion and the way it affects people in a deeper way. I'm not the slightest bit closer to actually believing in a god but I have come to be more empathetic with those that do. I've learned the various ways that religion affects people and how it's intertwined in their lives and in their sense of community.

I try not be insulting anymore. I'm not always successful, but here too I've seen some growth on my part over the way I was in the past.

Love this place or hate it, but discourse is important. Being exposed to ideas, especially those that differ from your own, is healthy and productive. Seeing the way people speak about what they believe in also has taught me that we are not all so different, even when you're talking about people who are polar opposites in their views.

One thing I've definitely learned is that there is hardly anyone on any side of the isle who is out to destroy America or ruin things just for fun or because they hate this country. I think that kind of thing is bullcrap when it's brought up and I'm glad I've learned this because I was a person who used to make that comment about righties during the Bush years. God what an idiot I must have sounded like back then.

EDIT: I also make longwinded posts that have nothing to do with the thread topic.