Tightening the belt except for the army. What is Abbott planning?

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Apr 23, 2014.

1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Hmmm,
    that is all we need, isn't it?

Bad relations with our neighbours, which don't trust us anymore.

Tightening the belt wherever possible (health, schools, education and so on), but wasting 12 billion $ for a plane, which has problems from day one.

Even some Liberals are very much in doubt. But there comes Mister A.Abbott, getting a hard one again, when referring to his subject of biggest importance.

I just wonder, whether we are preparing for another one.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-23/australia-to-buy-58-more-joint-strike-fighters/5405236

Is it only me who sees him as completely dangerous and untrustworthy?

Regards

2. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Groan....

Howard (Lib) signed onto the industry participation program with the option to buy.
    Rudd (ALP) signed the agreement to buy the aircraft, taking advantage of the opportunity afforded by the Howard (Lib) gov.
    Abbott (Lib) signed into the production schedule as part of the committment/decision made by Rudd (ALP).

Now tell me how that is Abbott's decision? So many folk are so blind to the left bias of the media that they do not realize just how much one sided reporting from the media actually goes on!!!! Just imagine if everything you'd been told was a lie, would you still hold your position and defend it or would you stand for the truth? Check your information sources and be honest to yourselves dear readers.

So now I've explained reality to you, does this make Rudd dangerous etc? Or is that just hyperbole and emotional fear mongering designed to create a political divide into society - because that sort of tactic would be most unAustralian IMO.

3. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

This would have to be the F.U.C.K.I.N.G joke of the century, and again demonstartes how far these parasites are away from the "reality" that is happening within Australia and to the Australian people. They spend $12 billion on planes that are already out-of-date, but you and me have to work until we 70 to pay for it. These parasites say that pensions are going to have more "means tests" applied to a recipients ability to claim, but never once did they say anything about applying ANY "meant test" to a politicians ability to claim public pensions.

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

Gotta love the shot of Abbott sitting in the cockpit with the thumbs up. Very George W. Bush!

5. axialturban

Blame Rudd, he made the decision. It's nonsensical to blame someone who wasn't responsible and then get upset at them for doing something they didn't do. You can also blame Rudd for wanting to buy a bunch of new submarines too if you like.

6. m2catter

Hmmm,
    Labor agreed to have 2000 more American troops in Darwin, big mistake because one main reason (for me) not to vote for them again. They did however postpone the decision for those planes, as far as my memory goes.

In general it can be said, that any conservative government is far more likely to stretch their anus when it comes to the army. Like it or not......

The big question remains, all Australians are expected to tighten the belt, and Abbott signs a contract (12 billion) for a plane (with problems), that is only good for one use - combat!!!!

Whom are we fighting against? 52 Australian planes against maybe 1000 Chinese? You must be kidding me....

Regards

7. axialturban

Nope. Rudd committed to this aircraft by signing up to buy a bit over a dozen of them - as the decision of what aircraft type to replace the FA18A/B's.

Doing so meant he was locking in a commitment for more later on as required to replace the capability - another 50-70 odd. He knew this, everyone knew this.

Howard only signed up to the industry involvement program (to get local work on it) and the option to buy the jet in the future. There was still the option to buy another type until it was Rudd who made the final decision to buy the F35, all of them. Abbott was just signing off on the final batch as part of that to replace the FA18A/B capability.

Cause Rudd committed us to the jet as a replacement for the FA18A/Bs.

Well thats an interesting question...but its the main multi-purpose air capability of the nation. You need the capability because if it becomes required, it take a long time to develop (the capability). You have to keep up with allies otherwise you cannot operate with them in mutual defence agreements. You need a capacity which is equivilant or superior to any potential threat. Plus, it was already budgetted because Rudd made the decision to replace the classic Hornet fleet with F35's :rolleyes:

8. m2catter

Lets assume you are right,
    there is still no reason why a new government would continue signing the contract (for 58 instead of 12), except they are longing for it.
    And Abbotts does......
    He is so hot on the topic of army and weapons, makes me throw up.....
    You sincerely trust that the purchase of those planes holds off a nation like China, with 1.5 billion people???????????????????????????????????????
    Come on, mate....

9. axialturban

The replacement aircraft is replacing 3 operational squadrons and one conversion squadron - you cannot do that with 12 or so aircraft. Its more like say 14 aircraft in one squadron, so assuming that it would 14 x 4 = 56.

Basically your arguing for a non-functional air combat capability for Australia... which is probably the Greens policy.

10. m2catter

Reading your lines I am happy we have different backgrounds and obviously values.

If it takes a green opinion or point of view, to build good relationships with our neighbours and not only pleasing our Allie, I rather be green.........

regards

11. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Doormat defence policy doesn`t work.

12. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

The RAAF isn't the army.

The plane isn't out of date.

No plane ever developed hasn't had design flaws during development and cost overruns.

We were originally committed to buying 100+ of these planes. We've bought less.

Australia has 23 million people. We need a strong airforce to defend Australia. After you've been invaded it's too late.

Abbott is still a moron, just for different reasons.

13. m2catter

I believe that in our modern age things are changing rapidly. Just look at all those people signing petitions, to stand up for change, not only in downunder. even the Muslim world can't deny the age of the internet, and looking to Turkey gives me hope, that people one day will have the final say.
    Sometimes CD is right, governments first priority is to protect themselves. I hope that in the future Australia will never fall for such a loser again as T.Abbotts turns out to be.
    He will cost us precious time, and an awful lot of money. The damage due his *turning back the clock* approach will cost us dearly.
    China is changing. People have enough even there. They are very much involved in renewables and in for a change. They don't trust their leaders anymore.
    If it hadn't been for lying governments, the Iraq War wouldn't have happened. If some soldiers, even a minority, question some of their deployment, we are on the right track.
    War is no answer, and not a single war can be won.
    One thing however is clear, you cannot trust your government, whether Libs or Labor, or Hitler or Bush or Howard or or. People are getting smarter...
    I don't believe we need more planes, or an stronger army, but more dialogue and a future, which doesn't seperate us from our neighbours.
    Regards

14. aussiefree2ride

You obviously expect Abbott to invade Poland, next time 1938 comes around.

15. Panzerkampfwagen

We don't live in your dream perfect world. We live in the real world where not everyone wants peace. Until everyone wants peace it'd be idiotic to disband your military.

16. m2catter

No, I think he would be to stupid to achieve that. And by the way, it was 1939....

- - - Updated - - -

So you really believe purchasing those 52 planes will scare anyone off ???????????????

Maybe I am dreamer, but I am not the only one. It was by Supertramp, wasn't it?

17. Panzerkampfwagen

Yes, it will. Australia is, and will continue to be, powerful enough to defend our borders against any country on the planet except one. The only one we obviously couldn't defend against is the USA. Luckily they're an ally and unlikely to just up and invade us.

18. aussiefree2ride

Just trying to get on your wavelength, going on the way you were trying to smear him with your tacky "Adolf Abbott" ruse. Your "correction" of 1939, confirms your reference to Abbott as a Nazi, tacky.

The song you referred to was "Imagine" the beetles. Good song with a sentiment that appeals to us all, particularly on this day. It`s a pity that human nature will never "Imagine" to emerge from the world of idyllic fantasy. Another good song holds the lines "soldiers who want to be heroes, number practically zero. While there are millions, who want to be civilians".

Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice, their innocence, and those who died for our freedom.

Lest we forget.

19. m2catter

Lest we forget, 1939 not 1938. Does it take that much to acknowledge a mistake?

You might be right there, it could have been the Beatles, sorry for the mishap.

Not all wars we were involved in were just wars, and also that we shouldn't forget.....

regards

20. m2catter

You must be kidding me, our border personnel (and the army) couldn't even detect a vessel entering Geraldton in 2013.

http://www.news.com.au/national/asy...s-into-geraldton/story-e6frfkp9-1226615986980

They obviously don't even know where Australia starts and ends, in terms of sea boundaries, turning the boats back.

All we do in our small mindset is to rely on the US, buy their weapons, and hope for the best......

Regards

21. axialturban

It's a big country, small military units will easily penetrate the border during peacetime and war... it's not what is being discussed.

22. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Supertramp - "Dreamer"

"Imagine" by John Lennon

23. Panzerkampfwagen

You think someone is going to invade with a single vessel?

24. m2catter

you are missing the point....

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for that mate,
    I start mixing things up, wish we had more music around from those days....

25. Panzerkampfwagen

No, I'm not missing the point.

Single vessels are easy to miss. Invasion fleets are not.