Anyone know about MS Word 2010?

Discussion in 'Computers & Tech' started by Coolia, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Coolia

Coolia New Member

I have been having a hekuva time with my MS Word software.

Every time I save and close a document, it stops working...EVERY TIME. Then it reopens.

Also, while I'm working on a document, it stops working, then reopens and sometimes without having saved a good portion of work even though I have it set to 'save' every minute.

I've been thinking of doing an uninstall, then reinstall, but don't know if that would work.

Any suggestions?

2. smevins

smevins New Member

If it just started doing it but work previously, my guess is perhaps a software update of some sort gummed you up. Unless it has been too long since you had one, I would try to find the most recent restore point for your computer and roll back to it first. I had a problem with WordPerfect after a windows update. If I had it on while connected to the web, it wouldn't print and then disconnecting it wouldn't help, so I would have to reboot to print a doc if I had been online. Rolling back to the earlier setting fixed the bug.

3. HT!

HT! Well-Known Member

Have you tried this?

https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

4. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

What version of windows is this running on?

5. Coolia

Coolia New Member

6. longknife

longknife New Member

I'm not a techie but spend hours on end using word processors. I have MSWorks and like the grammatics checking it has.

However, for day-to-day work and the vast majority of my megabytes of word documents, I've downloaded and use the following FREE software - OpenOffice and LibreOffice. They both have features not available on the home version of MSWord and are compatible.

7. Coolia

Coolia New Member

Neither are an option for me because my job requires MS Word.

8. Ctrl

That's weird. I have not encountered that combo having any issues. A bad install is not likely the issue. Could be the .net framework... but my suspicion would be that the hard drive has bad sectors where the software is installed, or this is the result of something evil (malware of some sort) lurking on your system.

First thing I would check is the drive.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hddscan_for_windows.html
    Check the SMART sigs, but I would concentrate more on bad sectors from a full scan.

Assuming all checks out well there, grab Superantispyware, install, update, and do a complete system scan. Good idea anyway. Can uninstall it when done. Living resident gives no real benefits, reinstall when you want to do a scan in the future. Anti-malwarebytes will be recommended by someone, and it is good at its job too, but real resournce hungry, and has gotten very invasive of late... causing some things to crash while it tries to sandbox etc.

http://superantispyware.com/

Failing that, I would remove the office install, and the .net framework completely from the PC (control panel, small icon view, programs and something), and reboot. Then reinstall the .net http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en and reboot, then reinstall office.

Good luck.

9. Ctrl

A couple of things... that HDD scanner doesn't understand other stuff is going on and can give errant results if you are using the PC (or a lot of background stuff is doing heavy read/writes) while it scans. I usually go into safe mode, turn off screensavers, disconnect from internet and leave it be while it goes for the most accurate results. Temporarily disable antivirus packages. Shouldn't take longer than 20 min.