Does anyone here play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Bartholomew_Vine, May 7, 2014.

1. Bartholomew_Vine

Bartholomew_Vine New Member

Does anyone here play a musical instrument? I play piano and violin. As a part of a project I did a bit of busking for seven days in London and again in New York, Londoners are more generous than New Yorkers. The money I was given I donated to various charities. I played classical pieces and jazz pieces as well as some popular pieces on violin.

2. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Alas, music is one of the few art forms I cannot do. My wife was classical piano and voice trained but I've got nothing in that area. On the other hand all we listen to in the house is classical music and after about thirty years of that I don't really mind it anymore. As a matter of fact there is a chamber orchestra in Houston, Texas called Mercury Baroque which plays music from -- well -- from the baroque era and even to my untutored ear it's music descended from heaven. I lose myself in it at their concerts. Meh . . . but on the other hand I am a very good wood carver and landscapes painter. So we all have our own talents . . . :cool:

3. Shooterman

Shooterman New Member

Not for nigh on 60 years. In high school I played Trumpet, French Horn, and Baritone, the last two because the Director didn't like my tone or it kept him from kicking me out of the band and orchestra. Of course I kinda stayed in hot water with him because I played football, correction- I collected a lot of splinters from the bench. I was 97th trumpet in the college band at Lamar. ( there were only 10 ) :roflol:

4. sparquelito

sparquelito Banned at Members Request

I play guitar, mainly.
    I am in a rock and roll band in my off hours and spare weekends.
    Have been making music with my brother since the mid-1970's.

He and I both also play bass guitar, drums, keys, and ukulele.

5. Angedras

Angedras New Member

6. smevins

smevins New Member

I assume you did all your busking with the violin and not the piano :icon_picknose:

Yes, I did that at university with a guitar. It is actually pretty fun. Not too long ago I went down to a local grocery and played with this guy just for the fun of it for a bit to up his haul some (I assume I didn't scare off folks). I always pocket the money though when I did it.

7. Unifier

Unifier New Member

I play the everything. Guitar for 20 years, been playing bass in a friend's band for the last three years, and my current focus is on my own electronic project. Vocally, I growl, I rap, I sing, I do spoken word. I do it all.

8. longknife

longknife New Member

I play the radio better than anyone you've ever seen!

My father was a concert/big band pianist. My mother was a Ziegfeld girl. I was gifted with a high, clear tenor voice and sang solo and in choirs until my early 20' when I let cigarettes get the best of me.

One of these days ... I might get one of the neat new keyboards that show chording to see if I can get back to sight reading like I did so many decades ago. Actually, when the regular and back-up pianists at church failed to show up for some reason, I was able to manage some of the regular hymns.

9. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

I played drums for about 10 years in the late 80's and early 90's in various local rock bands. Went from that to sound reinforcement, and from that to multi-track recording on an 8 channel reel to reel. I play a little guitar, bass, and keyboards now, just at home for my own amusement (much to my wife's chagrin). I own a horse farm now, that my wife manages, and I work in I.T. No time for anything serious, musically.

Just for fun: If we started a PF band, what would the name be?

How about: "The Partisan Family" :D

10. antb0y

antb0y Well-Known Member

I play guitar and sing, occasionally some bass. Trying to learn to properly play piano right now, but with little success so far.
    Did also a short excursion into electronic music a couple of years ago, which was awesome and completely unlistenable.

Pretty versatile. Most people I know can do at most two of those things.

11. jpevans

jpevans New Member

I play guitar, harp (harmonica), Kazoo, washboard & recently pick up a $7 penny whistle which I'm having fun with, I giged up until about five years ago. I've written about 30 keepers untold nice trys.You can prob'ly guess from my instraments, I consider myself a folk singer & cover Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Dock Boggs, Utah Phillips, Reilly Pucket, Hank Sr. etc. I also used to busk in Northampton Ma. 50 yrs of smoking has given my voice a certain folky flavor, but cut my ability to sustain, 3 songs & I'm done.
    I played a little in my early 20's & didn't pick it up again for 20 yrs. I'm not a master at any, but my son has sat in with North Mississippi Alstars, Jameo, Derick Trucks etc. Opened for the likes of R.L. Burnside, Matt Guitar Murphy. I like to say I taught him everything I know.
    :oldman:

12. gongli

gongli New Member

I play cello, piano, harmonica, guitar, and recorder. I also sing a little, but that's not my audience say - they say it sounds like an animal being tortured...hehe

13. Virgil Jones

Virgil Jones Member Past Donor

I played piano growing up, but I haven't played since the mid 1990s

14. Unifier

Unifier New Member

Whenever I get bored with what I'm doing, I just move onto something new. That's kind of my approach. Eventually you just end up with this toolbox full of gradually acquired talents.

15. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Is this the ukulele player who was featured on PBS?...
    :confusion:
    Prisoner furloughed to play gig in US
    Thu, Aug 11, 2016 - A ukulele player from Maui who unwittingly sang a duet with reggae artist Matisyahu is to perform with the singer in Hollywood.