Pro-Western Petro Poroshenko wins Ukrainian presidency

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by pjohns, May 25, 2014.

1. pjohns

pjohns Well-Known Member

Pro-Western forces have apparently prevailed in today's election in Ukraine.

From BBC News:

Here is the link: BBC News - Petro Poroshenko claims Ukraine presidency

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

The Candy Man can...
    :woot:
    Ukrainians back Poroshenko to find way out of crisis
    Sun May 25, 2014 - Petro Poroshenko, a billionaire chocolate manufacturer, claimed the Ukrainian presidency with an emphatic election victory on Sunday, taking on a fraught mission to quell pro-Russian rebels and steer his fragile nation closer to the West.
    See also:

A LONG LINE SIGNALS HOPE IN A UKRAINE NEIGHBORHOOD
    May 25,`14 -- The line for the voting booths, a half-dozen flimsy plywood enclosures draped with blue curtains, stretched down the main hallway of Educational Institution No. 323. It went past the election officers sitting beneath paintings of talking rabbits and blond princesses. It turned the corner into the lobby, with the photographs celebrating school plays and Christmas parties, and then out the door and onto the courtyard steps.

3. KGB agent

KGB agent Well-Known Member

Prevailed against who? There were no opponents out there.

4. olegp

olegp Member

the map BopIaFgIYAIuQ_B.png

5. pjohns

pjohns Well-Known Member

Well, let us just say that he won, with approximately 54 percent of the vote--not a mere plurality (thereby forcing a runoff), but an absolute majority...

6. KGB agent

Sure, one of those oligarh guys with full support of the media and lack of opponents, which were forced out of race giving no media coverage or with direct threat of violence, "won". Surely a great vigtory for ze glorius freedom-demorcracy thing, isn't it?

7. highhopes

highhopes New Member

That's ironic coming from somebody living "13,9km north from Putin" and calling himself "KGB Agent".

8. KGB agent

Apparently "irony" and "sarcasm" are hostile concepts for you. And yes, Putin is democratically elected leader.

9. highhopes

highhopes New Member

Irony applies pretty well to your post.
    Definition : a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected.

Leaving aside the argument with Putin being democratically elected - which would be pointless to discuss I think since we won't reach any conclusion, yes, it is ironic that somebody with the screen name "KGB Agent" decries the non-democratic procedures in the presidential elections of Ukraine.
    Why did you choose that screen name by the way?

10. KGB agent

Percisely. Apparently pro-western forces are oligarhs coming into power through coups, mass murder, threat of violence, bribery and media control. That was the irony of my post. Don't you get it?

Actually my nickname is intended to be ironic. Some people tend to go butthurt mode and throw baseless accusations, when they are reading alternative opinions. Particulary they call you "agent on a payroll". So it is kinda of a preemptive strike.

11. philfish

philfish New Member

You must mean Askyonov in Crimea...

12. KGB agent

No, I do not.

13. philfish

philfish New Member

north korea then?

14. KGB agent

Poroshenko in Ukraine. Thought that was obvious. I am sorry you didn't get it.

15. philfish

philfish New Member

hardly crossed my mind, as you may have noticed, too, that many, including international observers, noted generally free and orderly elections..

tymoshenko, while still widely respected, fell into a sort of 'yesterday's news / been there done that' Lyashko, Tyahnybok and the remainder garnered enough attention ..and..well..the Ukes spoke.. apparently against the fringe..

(as an aside - threats of violence - mainly fell in the Luhansk / Donetsk regions - what with the violent separatists threatened any and all attempting to go to the polls)

16. KGB agent

We have a pair of proverbs for the case.
    "Those who pay call the tune."
    "The one paying for supper with a girl dances with her later."

Ofc, since most of "international observers" originate from the West and the crook is pro-Western, the elections were surely "free". Just like Karzai in Afghanistan, you know.

If you call electing an oligarh, which sponsored Maidan under "thieves out of office!" banners, which led to a massive bloodshed in a country a "free and transparent elections" - be my guest in discussion about basic logic.

We have yet to see "the violent separatists" actual violence. So far it was olny Junta forces, who were murdering civilians.

17. philfish

philfish New Member

Yes, I agree, basic logic does escape some. I do think that the deposing of the Russian controlled Yanko..was messy. But luckily, the people prevailed..sadly, the russian backed separatists, did not. that's called tough s**t.

meanwhile....speaking of free and transparent...maybe try voicing a Ukrainian leaning opinion near a separatist in say, Luhansk....

18. KGB agent

It clearly does.
    Oh.....was he? Last time I checked he was going to sign FTA. Dog, actually, bited itself. Sadly with some 300+ Ukranian corpses.
    Another proverb:
    "Between the cup and the lip a morsel may slip."

And what is going to happen? You'll be torched alive, like people in Odessa?
    Thought, I am sure those thughs will get their Po 210 tea one day.Can't fight fate.

19. philfish

philfish New Member

Litvinenko didnt get a good cup of tea, perhaps he should have had some of Yushchenkos 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzodioxin tea. ???

and, yes, he was. And no, the FTA with Russia was not what was wanted by the peoples of ukraine.. as you may have noticed.

20. KGB agent

Nope. Too bad as a poison.
    And the proof is.......?
    Talking to you now seems useless. It was FTA with EU.
    0,04% of Ukranian population is not entire Ukranian population, as you may noticed.

21. highhopes

highhopes New Member

Well, it doesn't really help you in getting taken seriously on this site.

22. KGB agent

Actually, it does. If you are not butthurt Eastern European or commies-under-my-bed Yankee.

23. philfish

philfish New Member

talk with me is useless? I see. Ok, so, sure....yanko was adamant on signing the FTA with the EU. It was not he that put it on hold based on Russian pressures to join their 'union'. He, Yanko, was not a theif, and a puppet, but instead a loving father figure, living not on the monies siphoned from ukraine, and not in a palace built on said siphoned monies..

then dont talke to me, not a problem. I cant do fiction anyway..

24. KGB agent

Ah. Alternative history. Love it. It is fun to read.

Actually he suddenly got understanding of future economical situation after signing it (economical suisice). Oh, and imaginable "Russian pressures". Love it. Keep it goin'.
    Isn't it shoking to see that People Liberation Junta hasn't signed it too? Must be teh dirty KGB spies....

So no proof for "puppet", I guess?
    In contrast to that freedom-loving, hard working father of the nation aka oligarh Poroshenko.

Actually you are pretty good in it.

25. pjohns

pjohns Well-Known Member

Well, far more "glorius" [sic] than the sort of autocracy that would likely be preferred by someone whose chosen moniker is "KGB agent"...