Tea Party Afraid Obamacare will be a success.

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by CourtJester, Jun 3, 2014.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Previous thread closed for a rule about " Thread Capacity". Can't find that rule in the Rules and Guidelines section.

2. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

3. CourtJester

Even the Republican party does not claim that the health care system in the United States was a good system. The issue has always been how to change the system not whether or not the system need to be changed.

4. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

5. hudson1955

hudson1955 Well-Known Member Past Donor

6. Mr_Truth

^ See previous posts "Face of Obamacare"

----------

Meanwhile 95% of Minnesotans are now covered under ACA:

http://www.startribune.com/business/262726381.html

''Percentage without health plan is 2nd-lowest in U.S.

About 180,500 Minnesotans gained health insurance from last September to this May, with the vast majority getting coverage through one of the state’s public health programs, a report from the University of Minnesota found.

... second only to Massachusetts."

More lives to be saved thanks to ACA - Thank you Mr Obama! :flagus:

7. hudson1955

They have a policy lets see if they can use the coverage as they thought.

8. Mr_Truth

My case is proof that it works - I now get comprehensive coverage which is great for me considering my age and medical condition. I paid my taxes over my many years and am getting back what I paid for all these unlike Fortune 500 company employees who have always gotten a free ride at taxpayer expense.

9. hudson1955

Forturne 500 companies have the money to offer employees better benefits across the board, including health care. But I don't believe it is at our expense, but was is at taxpayer expense is the cost of subsidizing premiums while still paying for those without insurance that visit emergency rooms and don't pay their health care providers even $1.00 per month. As a small business employer we have as many other small businesses have; paid 100% of our employees health insurance premium as a benefit to keep them as employees. Your employers apparently didn't do so, for that I am sorry but cannot apologize for.

10. Mr_Truth

The fact that they get a deduction on their corporate 1120 tax forms means they are subsidized by taxpayers.

Meanwhile more progress for Obamacare:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/o...contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article&_r=0

''Americans are finding very affordable health insurance and a wide choice of plans on the exchanges operated by the federal government, according to a report issued Wednesday by the Department of Health and Human Services. The report was based on data from the 36 states in which the federal government is operating health insurance exchanges this year ...

The survey found that nearly six in 10 people who bought insurance through the exchanges were previously uninsured, a good sign that the law’s goal of near-universal coverage may be achievable. Though the system is still new, millions of Americans are already being helped, and every success makes it that much harder for its political enemies to repeal or disable it.''

ACA Success: Saving money and lives every day.

All real Americans rejoice at this TRUTH.

11. Mr_Truth

12. Goldwater

Goldwater Well-Known Member Past Donor

I work for a large national insurer and I handle one of their red states. On Dec 1st we projected 19K new members, by Dec 31 we had 97K. It has been a LONG 6 months. At any rate, the law has metasticized itself to our business, and any sudden repeal would be catastrophic for us. I'm guessing part of why repealing it won't be part of the GOP platform are the 7+ million people who now have insurance and how they will vote based on that. Obviously the people who buy it to avoid the fine aren't included there, but elections are won and lost over less than 1 million votes all the time

13. CourtJester

J
    Also if the GOP were to repeal the ACA they would then be responsible for coming up with a new plan to solve the health care problem in the US.

14. Hoosier8

There was no health care problem just an health care insurance problem. The ACA has made a whole new set of actual health care problems.

15. Goldwater

Goldwater Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sorry Hoosier...it's just not that simple, at least not in the state I handle. The ACA reimbursement rates to providers for on exchange plans is 80%. Medicare is 75%, and Medicaid is 25%, and Medicaid-Medicare rates haven't changed because of the ACA. The exchange plans are very new, and the doctors who have opted out of accepting those plans, are doing so because of uncertainty regarding eligiblity and claims....BECAUSE we have too many people enrolled and not enough people trained to effectively handle enrollment and claims issues. There was NO WAY POSSIBLE to be prepared for the 8 extra members for every 2 we expected.

When things settle down and we get steamlined, as many doctors that have opted out of exchange plans, and take medicare/medicaid, will probably come back, unless their decisions are ideologically based, and that happend a lot in this red state.

I am on the front lines of the ACA. It's a very different view than what you see from the media. You may be inclined to dissmiss what I'm saying because I'm a lefty, but it's the God's truth.

16. Hoosier8

I appreciate your comment.

First question, how can you have too many enrolled with the enrollment rate is barely what was predicted?

Next is that Medicaid was increased to Medicare reimbursement for 2013-14 to keep doctors from dropping it but will disappear if more funding is not found. Right?

The ACA reportedly reimburses 10% above Medicare but is that forever? Doesn't medicare underpay primary doctors, many times below cost? Right now Medicare's unfunded liability stands around 38 trillion. That money will have to come from somewhere.

The suicide rate among doctors is one of the highest in any professional service, one claim is that they spend more time on paperwork and bs instead of with patients. My doctor retired because of that and that was just will insurance companies. I don't know how you can 'streamline' something so vast and complicated as the ACA that requires more data gathering. Kind of like making a purse out of a sows ear.

17. CourtJester

Hoosier8: Could you explain exactly what the difference is? I always though the number of uninsured and the fact that health insurance costs were rising much faster than inflation were both part of the overall health care issue in the United States.

The fact that our health care outcomes are worse than a number of other developed countries could also be seen as a problem since our spending as a percentage of GDP is greater than almost all other countries.

18. CourtJester

It is interesting to note that I live in a part of Florida where over 85% the population is on Medicare and we have no shortage of doctors. In other areas where there is a shortage of doctors I suspect if they can pick and choose their patients many will avoid Medicare patients since private insurance will probably pay better

I suspect the question of why we have a national shortage of doctors should be left for another thread..

19. hudson1955

Having insurance does not mean you will receive the treatment you thought you have paid for. Many are finding that their doctors and hospitals are not covered by the insurance. Many are finding that treatment for their problem is not covered(not approved for payment) by their insurance. Many are finding that Hospitals in their immediate area are denying them admission because the hospitals are finding that the insurance company is not cnyovering services as they said they would when insurance coverage was verified or the payment is so low that they can't afford further patients admissions that have coverage by the insurance company/plan.

20. hudson1955

Mr. Truth know nothing about the real world practice of medicine and the problems physicians face with private insurance, Medicare and Medicaid. He/She obviously has never had to file claims or deal directly with these companies. He/She has never actually provided services and seen payments continually decrease from the early 1990's while the cost of providing services have continually increased.

It is easy for Mr. Truth to assault those that provide life saving health care for charging fees that cover their costs and provide a profit based on their experience and education. I am sure Mr. Truth and others like him would be more than willing to pay services fees charged by his plumber or electrician when needed, fees that are likely to be higher, hourly, than his physician or surgeon are currently paid. In fact, most of us don't have comprehensive dental coverage or comprehensive vet. coverage but are willing to pay their fees out of pocket. What hypocritics the left are.

21. Mr_Truth

correction mr_ms Hudson - as shown in my earlier links, the nation's productivity is growing as people return to work and as jobs are being created under ACA

Down Jones is up to 17000 and jobs created are the highest since the Clinton years and all jobs lost under traitor Bush have been recovered --- you and others from the deluded far right may see that as failure but we patriots know it is good and that's the TRUTH.

By the way, my name is Mr Truth because I am male just in case you'd like to know.

Dunno about your gender but you may say what it is f you wish.

22. CourtJester

Amazing, the ACA has not destroyed America. Guess the Conservatives going to have to find new imaginary hobgoblin.

23. hudson1955

Hasn't destroyed America but definitely not lowering premiums as promised and definitely not providing coverage for those that are in the "insurance gap", earning too little(really?) to qualify for a subsidy and too much to get Medicaid. Current number of those in the gap are nearly 3 million people.

being a success at this time, without reform, isn't a possibility. Party affiliation has nothing to do with the facts. Blindly believing in something isn't smart.

24. CourtJester

Blindly believing is not my style. I do however believe the ACA will turn out to be good for America. Not perfect but healthcare prior to the ACA was recognized as a problem by both parties. The difference is the Democrats have done something toward solving the problem.

The point of my post was merely to point out that despite the " the sky is falling crowd " of opponents the economy has not been destroyed by the ACA and hiring is picking up.

Since we both agree that improvement in the ACA is possible I am curious as to what your proposals to improve would be.

Mine would include selling insurance across state lines but only if the policies meet the minimum standards of the ACA. And some type of tort reform although this could be pretty hard. I think it has to include some allowance for pain and suffering and probably has to deal with the problem of juries that really aren't qualified to deal with complicated medical issues. I really don't think that even the most conscientious jurors are competent to deal with complicated issues of science and medicine.

25. Mr_Truth

Obamacare is a success!

80 percent of Obamacare enrollees in New York were previously uninsured

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...es-in-New-York-were-previously-nbsp-uninsured

One of the more lame answers Republicans had to Obamacare's 8 million enrollees was along the lines of, "Well, yeah, but they probably already had insurance so this didn't make any difference, anyway." That's already been disproved, with the latest Kaiser survey finding that six in 10 of the new enrollees didn't have insurance. That finding just got a big ol' exclamation point from New York state, which reports some very good news.
    The report […] shows that more than 80% of the 960,762 people who signed up for coverage through New York’s health care exchange did not have insurance at the time they enrolled. More than half of the enrollees—52%—came from New York City.
    And guess what? More than a third of them are those young invincibles, the ones Republicans worked so hard to try to get to boycott getting health insurance. Thirty-four percent of New York's new insurance holders are under 35.
    What else you got, Republicans? Anyone?

ACA - saving money and lives every day!