Imagine Dictator with an Army of Robotic Warriors

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by BEG, Jun 26, 2014.

1. BEG

BEG New Member

Every Dictator must have at least a a certain percentage of supporters of his rule, even when it is just the ruling class and the security Forces left....

Imagine now a crazy Dictator with 1'00'000 of intelligent Robowarriors, who has Robots who follow every bloody order, and this Dictator would even have no Need for an ruling class...

[video=youtube;pMkV8E2re9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMkV8E2re9U[/video]

In 10 Years is this a credible Scenario.

I think the UN should forbid automatical Shooting robots.

2. Same Issues

Same Issues Well-Known Member

Russia's Deadly New Robotic Weapons Platform
    http://inventorspot.com/articles/russias-deadly-new-robotic-weapons-platform-bears-striking-resem

**Russia's armed forces unveiled the latest technological addition to their arsenal: a robotic weapons platform that (rather fittingly) goes by the name of Platform-M.

On top of that, my understanding is that Project-M will primarily be a remote-controlled unit. That means that we're going to have a human operator on the other end, monitoring what's going on and making decisions.

"Platform-M is a universal combat platform. It is used for gathering intelligence, for discovering and eliminating stationary and mobile targets, for firepower support, for patrolling and for guarding important sites. The unit's weapons can be guided, it can carry out supportive tasks and it can destroy targets in automatic or semiautomatic control systems; it is supplied with optical-electronic and radio reconnaissance locators."

From the sounds of it, what they're saying is that even though the robot might currently be remote-controlled, the capacity is there for it to enjoy some degree of autonomy.

These remind me of old "Johnny 5". I can see them being useful for guard duty as a front line expendable unit for the time being. As the technology gets better and they improve their models I can see robots taking a more active role in military operations in the next 20 to 30 years. (Beyond what air based drones have done in a short time period.)

3. Same Issues

'Killer robots' to be debated at UN
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27343076
    9 May 2014
    **Killer robots will be debated during an informal meeting of experts at the United Nations in Geneva.

Two robotics experts, Prof Ronald Arkin and Prof Noel Sharkey, will debate the efficacy and necessity of killer robots.

The meeting will be held during the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW).

A report on the discussion will be presented to the CCW meeting in November.

They already are:wink:

4. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

We (U.S.) already have these. Heck, drones are human controlled robots. They are also capable of flying themselves. I think what we really have to fear is NOT using a large portion of our tax dollars to spy, quantify actual threats then, based on that information do research, experiment and develop these robot weapons and staying ahead of the curve.

5. Same Issues

Not using tax dollars for r&d and staying ahead of the curve is not a strength in our military complex unfortunately.