Alzheimer's Preventable?

Discussion in 'Science' started by longknife, Jul 14, 2014.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

This is good news for an old coot like me. According to this, I might stand a chance of avoiding it as I don't smoke, do “some” exercising, and have a decent education. I've even read elsewhere that pets can often detect the onset of the disease by the odor the body releases. Just how my little Pixie is one of them. ☺

Read more @ http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28262878

2. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

Apparently there is a link with aluminum.

Research detoxification for another angle on this.

http://www.msm-info.com/#Detoxification

3. Rickity Plumber

Rickity Plumber Banned

I am not out to derail this at all but since you mentioned "Pixie" I must mention my wife's nursing home. It is a not for profit 96 bed facility and there are several resident cats. My wife pays all vet bills for them, food etc and these cats are free to come and go throughout the facility as well as outside. The residents here are very poor and many have nothing at all meaning no family and many of those have differing stages of Alzheimer's. There used to be one cat, a beautiful black and white long hair domestic who was called Stinky Cat. Stinky Cat would roam the hallways and several times would spend the last few days with a dying resident. Stinky would not leave the room other than to do her business elsewhere like all good kitties do then return and lay on the bed with the dying resident.

One man had spent much of his waking moments at his wife's bedside for a long period of time as her Alzheimer's grew worse. He grew so fond of Stinky Cat that when his wife died my wife asked him if he wanted to take Stinky Cat home with him. Of course he did as he and the cat grew together as his wife's health deteriorated. Perhaps Stinky was a link to his wife or something. Anyway, the gentlemen brings my wife an avocado or two every month or so and shows her pics of Stinky Cat's new home.

The news that Alzheimer's may be preventable in the future or perhaps the near future is extraordinary news! My wife's mother died of Alzheimer's just as her two sister's did. So this is extremely great news. I worry heavily about this as we too are old coots.

4. DennisTate

Wow! Rickity Plumber... that is exceptionally good news.

I have also read that seniors homes in Israel are having excellent results by giving hemp oil and some forms of marijuana to patients for pain relief.

http://phoenixtears.ca/what-it-does-and-how-it-works/

5. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

They don't mention the recent evidence regarding low Vitamin D levels.
    Is the epidemic of senile dementia another product of the "Nanny State".

1) Years of anti sun exposure propaganda lowering peoples internal production of Vit. D in the skin.

2) After fortifying dairy products with Vitamin D, an oil - fat soluble vitamin,
    they don't want you to consume "dairy fat". Margarine for butter, what a winner that ended up being. Non Fat dairy products advised. Even by Michelle Obama.
    BTW Michelle, dairy was fortified with Vit. D because Black kids in the North had epidemic rickets.
    Score another for Nanny State healthy diet recommendations. :roll:

Moi :oldman:

r > g

No :flagcanada:

6. DennisTate

Yes..... I have heard very good things about Vitamin D but I haven't started taking it yet.

I would also sure love to see serious research done on glyonutrients.... which may be difficult because they are natural and cannot be patented.

I purchase a gallon of aloe vera juice several times each year at Walmart. Apparently this is a good source of one of the major nutritional sugars.... mannose.

7. longknife

longknife New Member

I've read where one of the most important preventions of Alzheimer's is to stay mentally active.

Puzzles. Reading. Interesting discussions. Creative hobbies.

8. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Uncle Ferd hopes dey can find out what makes Granny to have her goofy fits...
    :confusion:
    Nobel discovery opens window onto Alzheimer's disease
    6 Oct.`14 - The discovery of cells in the brain that act as the body's internal global positioning system, which won three scientists the Nobel Prize for medicine on Monday, opens an intriguing new window onto dementia.

9. DennisTate

Any form of detoxification that would lead to lower levels of aluminum and other metals in our cells would also surely help.

http://www.msm-info.com/#Cell Membrane

Oh..... I also decided to do a blog with the full article by Dr. Rayburn Goen:

http://rayburngoenmd.blogspot.ca/
    The New Nutrition Paradigm

by Rayburne W Goen, MD, FACP, FACC.
    December 21, 2001

10. Prunepicker

Prunepicker Well-Known Member

I've heard that dancing is a good exercise. Rhythm, memory, balance and
    other things are involved at the same time.

11. DennisTate

Plus..... it is difficult to be dancing without getting at least a little bit into an attitude of "gratitude!"

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/water-crystal.html

… scroll down to "Water and Words."

12. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

which is what my buddy tells me, since he's a neurologist I tend to believe him...he says it's not a cure but it can delay the the dementia considerably...the brain needs to be exercised/challenged to stay healthy and sharp just as the body does...

13. DennisTate

Yes… vitamin D is critical!

So is B-complex and C.

14. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Anti-inflammatory drug reverses Alzheimer's memory damage...
    :confusion:
    Pill for Menstrual Pain Restores Memory in Mice with Alzheimer's
    August 15, 2016 - A surprising discovery has been made in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

15. OldManOnFire

OldManOnFire Well-Known Member

I think back many decades as a young kid and I don't ever remember anyone who had cancer or dementia. Of course at that time we may not have known much about these diseases but even so neither of them were prolific as they are today.

I'm thinking most everything we deal with today is rooted in changes to our environment. This might include the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, the chemicals we are exposed to voluntarily and involuntarily (like deodorants).

And, enough time has now passed, several generations, in which the diseases themselves might be prevalent genetically in future generations...and this to some degree perpetuates itself.

Education or intelligence/awareness is certainly a factor as well because moving through life we make decisions about how we treat our bodies. Behavioral choices, like tobacco, alcohol, drugs, food, exercise, obesity, learning, etc. surely exacerbate the root causes of dementia/cancer, etc...

16. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - take yer vitamins - dey's good fer ya...
    :grandma:
    Vitamin D pills 'could stop colds or flu'
    Thu, 16 Feb 2017 - Food should be fortified with the vitamin for improved health, researchers claim.