There is no statute of limitations for murder...so the question becomes...

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by Gorn Captain, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

If the "pro-lifers" got their ban on abortion....would they prosecute women who got an abortion before the ban was in place?

If "Yes"...how many resources (law enforcement, judicial, etc) will they commit to that.

If "No"....then aren't they once again admitting they actually DON'T think abortion is "murder"...if they won't take the time and effort needed to prosecute a "murderer"???

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

I KNOW that some of those 23 Views this thread has gotten as of this post...were from "pro-lifers".

Did I stump them AGAIN???

3. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

It would totally slow down the legal system and overcrowd prisons if they prosecuted all of the women who had abortions in the past.

4. Fugazi

Fugazi New Member Past Donor

So then you are willing to allow people to get away with 'murder' (as you see it) purely because it would cost to much, " slow down the legal system and overcrowd prisons" .. :roll:

5. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

So you're okay with letting "murderers" ....get away with it if it's too inconvenient for us???

6. smevins

smevins New Member

I have yet to see you stump anyone the first time. Unless you are a prosecutor, you cannot prosecute :wink:

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

smevins...I notice YOU didn't answer the questions in the OP?

Are you pro-choice....but like "other things" you can't actually say it too much or your friends on the Right won't like you as much....sort of like that "other thing"?

Or are you "pro-life".....but not really able to answer questions regarding your views?

8. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

im sure some extremists would want to send every woman in the USA who ever had an abortion, to the electric chair.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

THAT ...would actually be atleast CONSISTANT....if monstrously evil.

But as you see from numerous questions like the one in the OP, it puts them in a paradox-

A. stay true to their rhetoric and CLAIMED beliefs...and appear like monsters.

B. be forced to admit their rhetoric is false.

Or of course C. try to bob and weave, dodge and deflect, change the subject, attack the question, attack the questioner, etc.....rather than risk the embarrassment of answering.

10. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

It's an issue of being realistic, not convenient. Jailing tens of millions of people would cause taxes to skyrocket, there would be no space in prisons for that many people. It would cause prison overcrowding.

11. Reality

Reality Well-Known Member

Go to the constitution. Article 1 Section 9 Clause 3. And I quote directly "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."
    Now see the definition of ex post facto law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law "An ex post facto law (Latin for "from after the action" or "after the facts") is a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences (or status) of actions that were committed, or relationships that existed, before the enactment of the law. In criminal law, it may criminalize actions that were legal when committed; it may aggravate a crime by bringing it into a more severe category than it was in when it was committed; it may change the punishment prescribed for a crime, as by adding new penalties or extending sentences; or it may alter the rules of evidence in order to make conviction for a crime likelier than it would have been when the deed was committed. Conversely, a form of ex post facto law commonly called an amnesty law may decriminalize certain acts or alleviate possible punishments (for example by replacing the death sentence with lifelong imprisonment) retroactively. Such laws are also known by the Latin term in mitius."

So the simple answer is: Someone could make the attempt. And then we could tattoo "I"m an idiot who can't read. Kick me" on their forehead.

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

So again.....if it's "too hard to do"....you want let "murderers" get away with it?

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Actually it more simply boils down to....."pro-lifers" don't REALLY believe it when they say "Abortion is murder".

If they REALLY did, they'd want women who had abortions even before a ban, to be arrested and jailed.

Young Sam argues against it on the basis of "too much in taxes" and "prison overcrowding"....yet I'll guarantee you he'd support paying a TON in taxes and building 100,000 new prisons.....if it took that to go after illegal immigrants.

14. Reality

Or perhaps they don't believe in instituting ex post facto laws in flagrant violation of our laws. Or maybe some of them are idiots and would do what you suggest. Perhaps still more are hypocrites or lack conviction. Not any worse than the left.

I'd support shooting them as they cross after warning them for several dozen yards first and making it easier to immigrate legally. Giving them 3 hots and a cot is an improvement for many and just further incentive.

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

So you'd shoot migrant children?

16. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't believe you can be convicted of murder, retro-actively.

17. Reality

And also make it much easier to migrate legally, yes.

Though I wouldn't be doing anything. That's what we have drones and sentry guns for. I would move the border back 100 yards (the actual fence checkpoints etc. The deadline in the original meaning of the term) mine the 50 out from the gate and post barbwire and warning signs for the 50 closest to mexico. The signs say "Next checkpoint >>> that way. WARNING: Only cross at checkpoints. Everything else is mined and those passing through the mine field will be shot. No humans man the guns there will be no mercy. Please turn back and go to the nearest checkpoint if you'd like to enter."
    And make getting work visas, visit visas, and green cards, much easier.

Carrot AND stick is how you fix a problem, not either or.

18. smevins

smevins New Member

I am not a prosecutor so I cannot prosecute anyone. If the law deemed abortion was murder and I were a prosecutor, then yes I would prosecute anyone in my jurisdiction for an abortive murder if it occurred within my jurisdiction and the evidence existed for such a prosecution. What the grand jury did with the evidence and the charge, and then the courts would be up to them.

19. js1080

js1080 New Member

This isn't possible under US law. This would be ex post facto prosecution. Congress (section 9) and the states (section 10) are both prevented from passing ex post facto laws in article 1 of the constitution, basically meaning that you cannot prosecute a person for something they did while something was legal after it becomes illegal. So, abortion being a legally enfranchised act now (not viewed as murder in the through the blind eyes of justice, as it were, in most cases, anyway), were it to become illegal in the future (and thenceforth considered murder), it would not be possible to prosecute former offenders under the new statute.

20. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

How brave ! :roll: Let others do your slaughtering...the idea that you don't mind shooting children is beyond words....

21. FoxHastings

How would a charge be brought? How would you know there's a suspect? What would be investigated ? What evidence?

22. smevins

smevins New Member

In addition to not being a prosecutor, I also am not psychic. They would be brought the same way any other murder charge would be brought--either by arrest warrant or direct indictment I suppose.

23. FoxHastings

What would the arrest warrant be based on? How would someone be "suspected" of abortion? HOW would it be investigated? How would it be proven that a woman had an abortion?

24. Germania

Germania Member

I see your point;

They won't go after them for murder, rather the crime of an illegal abortion. I don't know.

25. smevins

smevins New Member

The same way any other murderer is caught. (just itching to start that "Well how are you going to prove she didn't masturbate with a papya" crap again like the last however many times Gorn has gone down the same rode before I presume.)