Part 19 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mitt Ryan, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitt Ryan

Mitt Ryan Well-Known Member

Part 19 is a continuation of Post your tough questions pertaining to God/Jesus/Holy Bible and I will do my best to clarify and make sense of it to those who are unaware...I still have questions unanswered in Part 6 thru 18.
    Also I might answer questions that are on other members threads and so this will keep me real busy with the many questions that I will answer from my point of view/perspective keeping in line with Scripture.

I don't want my intentions to come across as converting you or whatever lol... but rather clear up things etc... so ask away.

2. Omnipotent

Omnipotent New Member

Why do Xtians believe the Bible is the 'word of god'? How do you reconcile such a belief, when those text were written by man? Why didn't Jesus himself write any books?

3. Giftedone

Giftedone Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think I can answer this one on behalf of the cult leaders.

Anytime you come across something that is clearly illogical you tell the followers... Gods ways are beyond the comprehension of man or some other meaningless dribble that will stop them from thinking about the these and other problems.

Why else would a God give a being intelligence if he did not want him to believe in stupid things.

4. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

5. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Explain again why "God is good"....when He committed infanticide or ordered others to commit infanticide.

6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

I had a fundy apologist who used a similar line....when I poinited out contradictions in the Bible, he said "You only see them as contradictions because you're not filled with the Holy Spirit".

Apparently being "filled with the Holy Spirit" can make you believe 2+2=5 and "The Ministry of Plenty announced that that chocorat has been UPPED to 10 grams... from the previous 20 grams"

7. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

And I've seen others who can't admit, 1+1=2.

8. Giftedone

And that killing babies in the name of God, because their parents are evil, is a righteous thing to do. Despite the fact that God forbids children being killed for the sins of their parents.

Twisted, warped and mind-bending inanity.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Well, as we see so often in these similarly-titled threads....there is no hoop that cannot be jumped through to keep true two things which obviously contradict each other-

A. "God is good"

B. "The Bible accurately depicts God"

Up to and including coming up with "baby cannibalization" theories by one poster......which are rejected by another poster whose rationalization is simply "If God HAD to kill children...it wasn't His fault and it was still a GOOD thing to do, because God is good and therefore anything He does is good...even if it's evil."

In political theorum this is called a "cult of personality"....most famously exampled by Stalin and Hitler, where the "Beloved Leader"'s actions....even oppression and death are excused or called "good" and "moral"....simply because of blind loyalty to him. The Right love to claim this against "the Left" for Obama on the political forums, but ironically, it is most true among fundamentalsit Christians who are...typically....rightwing and apply it to "God".

- - - Updated - - -

Math is a deception by the Devil....don't trust it.
    :)

10. Giftedone

Blind obedience to a leader or an ideal, patriotism for example, is similar to religious obedience.

Stalin and Hitler used fear of an external threat "evil" to justify taking away rights and killing people. Religion uses fear of eternal punishment in the afterlife.

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Carrot AND stick...no doubt the self-righteous imagine "I stayed true to God and rebuffed those atheists attempts to make me THINK....and I'll receieve eternal rewards in Heaven for my defiance of logic!"

It's funny though that they think both the self-righteousness and the excuse-making will "win over souls to Christ". But some even admit they don't care about evangelization....whcih means it's ALL about their own egos and being holier-than-thou.

12. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

13. Mitt Ryan

Mitt Ryan Well-Known Member

But it's not the same kind of fear that you are thinking of, WR specifically said, "People who worship and follow God fear Him because they know the consequence of sinning not because they are afraid or terrified of God."

And to elaborate further, for the unbeliever, the fear of God is the fear of the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God (Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31).

For the believer, the fear of God is something much different. The believer's fear is reverence of God. Hebrews 12:28-29 is a good description of this: “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ’God is a consuming fire.’”

This reverence and awe is exactly what the fear of God means for Christians. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

Believers are not to be scared of God. We have no reason to be scared of Him. We have His promise that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39). We have His promise that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Fearing God means having such a reverence for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives. The fear of God is respecting Him, obeying Him, submitting to His discipline, and worshipping Him in awe.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/fear-God.html#ixzz38BNQyiBx

Note: Definition of reverence- A feeling or attitude of deep respect, love and awe, as for something sacred.

14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Given he gets almost all his "answers" from this website....is there any reason to even speak with Mitt.

Shouldn't we bypass him and go directly to the source? Cut out the middle man? :)

15. Incorporeal

Yes! By all means... take your complaints to the "source": http://www.gotquestions.org/fear-God.html#ixzz38BNQyiBx

16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

We'd get more direct answers, wouldn't we? Not some "middle man" who Cut & Pastes his "responses"....which aren't actually his, but are gotquestions.org's.

BTW, you'd have a completely different opinion of this....if it was an atheist who asked for tough questions and got all his answers from an atheist website.

Oh, don't bother denying it. We both know it's true. Let's just sit back and enjoy the hypocrisy. :)

17. Incorporeal

Well, that is essentially what we get anyway... modified memorized statements that can be found on most any Atheist website. So what is the difference between the lyrics of the Atheist and the lyrics of the Theists as regarding source material? Only the melody

18. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Incorp, I've never gone to an "atheist" site for my information. I HAVE gone to a cite which points out errors and contradictions in the Bible...but always put that information in my own words and used my own arguments..

But if you beleive that about MittRyan's sources and responses, as well as for anybody who Cut & Pastes from an "atheist" site......then we have no argument. BOTH are intellectually weak.

19. Pasithea

Pasithea Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Incorporeal what denomination of Christianity do you follow if I may ask? Or do you not follow any denomination and just interpret the Bible for yourself?

20. Incorporeal

I guess for the time being I will have to accept what you say as I have no proof to the contrary.... without knowing what specific sites you are referencing.

In the case of your closing comment above.... that would make us all 'intellectually weak' as we all depend on the information and knowledge handed down by other men and women. Even in the ability to write a clear and concise statement.

21. Incorporeal

I am nondenominational. I do not interpret the scripture myself. I pray over scripture that is questionable and allow the Holy Spirit to direct my thoughts as to its meaning.

BTW: Congratulations on the wedding announcement.

22. Giftedone

Since you denounce everything written by a human as "subjective" there is no such thing as intellectually weak or strong as that would be an objective claim.

All is relative dependent on the observer according to you so why are you trying to pretend otherwise ?

Are you being disingenuous once again ?

23. Incorporeal

Why don't you take that up with GornCaptain who initiated the discussion on "intellectually weak".

24. Giftedone

Do you claim now that God speaks through your thoughts ? That these are not really your thoughts but God's thoughts ?

25. Giftedone

Running from what follows from your own arguments again ? Give me a D and an E an N I A L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.