Gay rights leads to discrimination against Christians.

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by The Amazing Sam's Ego, Jul 24, 2014.

1. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

A new law says that christian organizations who refuse to hire gay workers will no longer receive federal funding. http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...tive_enda_forbidding_lgbt_discrimination.html

I agree with some of the stuff this law promotes, discriminating against gay people is wrong, but in some situations, from a moral and ethical and logical perspective, a Christian organization (not a secular organization that a Christian owns, but a religious Chrisitan organization) should not hire people who live lifestyles contrary to Christianity.

Discrimination IS wrong, including from a moral perspective, if a Christian is working in a secular organization, like a store or a business. BUT, if a Christian decides to not hire a gay person working in a Christian organization, then it makes sense. I believe in being civil and respectful to people, and even Jesus associated himself with sinners to an extent. It should totally be illegal for anybody, even a Christian, to discriminate against somebody in the workplace, but exceptions should be made. Christian organizations like world vision, are organizations which are Christian in nature, and people working in them should not be living lifestyles contrary to what the bible says is godly.

Why would any gay person want to work for an organization who disagrees with their lifestyle? That literally makes zero logical sense whatsoever. Christian organizations should be allowed to not hire people who follow a non christian lifestyle.

Why would a gay person even want to work in a Christian organization in the first place? To find an excuse to sue them and make a lot of money? If World Vision or Christian colleges stop receiving federal funding, it would harm their business a lot. And for what valid noble reason?

Here are some quotes from a Charismanews article, a christian site, about which this new legislation is wrong. http://www.charismanews.com/

Here is another interesting article on this topic. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sed-on-race-sex-religion-politics-appearance/

2. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

they can discriminate all they want, they just lose federal funding if they do

3. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Losing federal funding would harm their buisness and their work.

That's like saying, "they can refuse to preform a wedding at their church, they just will lose their tax exempt status".

4. FreshAir

if their desire to help people is greater then their desire to discriminate against people.. then the choice is easy

- - - Updated - - -

not the same at all, Churches are exempt, for profits are not exempt

http://rationalrevolution.net/articles/history_of_the_separation_of_chu.htm

"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.
    - Benjamin Franklin: in letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780"

your saying gay people that pay taxes should have to support people that discriminate against them, maybe gays should get a tax exempt status

it's funny, the only time these religious groups give the tax payers credit for their good works is when the money is drying up, the rest of the time they claim it as their own good works and give the tax payers no credit

Casper and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Pasithea

Pasithea Banned at Members Request Past Donor

What the hell!?

Why are we giving tax payer money to Christian organizations to begin with!? That is wrong on so many levels!!! They are already tax-exempt, so why in the world would we give them money especially when not all tax-payers are Christian?

6. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

How would it be any different if they wanted to discriminate against a Jew for religious reasons?

Or an African American?

Spare me the "But that wouldn't be Biblical!"- and think this through.

IF a religious organization is allowed to discriminate against any set of people, claiming that they offend some religious principle- then a religious organization could make that claim against Jews or Muslims or atheists or African Americans or women, etc.

Do you think that a faith based employer(not a church) should be able to discriminate against Jews or African Americans?

Because if you say no- then they shouldn't be able to do so to gay employees either.

7. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

First, everybody lives contrary to the bible, Romans 3:23. So you can't hire anybody except Jesus.

Next, being homosexual doesn't mean you aren't capable of being Christian.

Last, religious exemptions shouldn't be allowed. I could simply invent my own religion where being left handed means you are the spawn of Satan. So religious interpretations to justify prejudice should not be acceptable.

That being said, I think a business owner should be allowed to higher and fire who ever they want.

8. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Just yet another of the millions of examples of Christians and their blatant "sins" of Pride, Arrogance and their Anti-Jesus attitude.

Who the $#!* do these creeps think they are that THEY don't have to follow laws like everyone else...THEY, despite what they think , are NOT god and certainly aren't better or more moral than anyone else..

Some like to whine about, "not one penny of mine should go to abortion!"....but these hypocritical unethical, immoral jerks sure don't mind sucking up everyone else's taxes for their purposes while they treat these "precious lives" like dirt.

OP: """" Why would a gay person even want to work in a Christian organization in the first place?""""

To deny gays their choice of religion is the height of ANTI-AMERICANISM.......this support of discrimination against American citizens leads to .....what....think about it...

9. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

How many large city LGBT groups hire Christians since they also receive federal funds.

10. FoxHastings

Here's one of the dozens of questions you will ignore.

Why is it OK with you to discriminate against gays but object to Christians being allegedly discriminated against....?????

It's obvious you do not get the point of "discrimination" being not a good thing for ANYONE.. YOU do not get to chose who can be discriminated against, no single group or person does , that's why there had to be laws against discrimination...so people who thought they were supreme rulers wouldn't be able to discriminate based on their own flimsy morals or their own bigoted standards.

11. Imnotreallyhere

Imnotreallyhere Well-Known Member Donor

Personally, I question why and whether a gay person would want to be part of an organization that thinks gays are inherently evil. It seems masochistic to me. The same with Fundamentalist Christians working for a LGBT organization. Why work to further the views of a group you disagree with and which despises you?

This legislation will have little practical effect IMO. Which means to me that it was just another piece of politically correct fluff the politicians could throw the gay community and the religious could whine about without doing anything worthwhile.

12. FoxHastings

Right again! :) You ignored it......got into the kitchen but couldn't take the heat :)

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Sam, if the KKK were a charity feeding the poor....but its racism lost it Federal funding....

would you object?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually most Christian churches CLAIM they don't think gays are inherently evil, just homosexuality.

But apparently that claim is false.

14. The Amazing Sam's Ego

What makes you think that claim is false?

15. Imnotreallyhere

Imnotreallyhere Well-Known Member Donor

Actually, I think I addressed your question in post #11, directly after you asked it.

16. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The KKK hates blacks. Christians dont hate gays. I myself, respect all people, even if I disagree with their lifestyle.

By your logic, the federal government should stop funding LGBT organizations who don't hire Christians. Why would a gay rights organization want to hire people who don't agree with their beliefs? If gays have the right to do that, without risking losing federal funding, then why should it be any different for Christians?

For example, I will quote imnotreallyhere, because I totally agree with his views on this, to an extent.

What he said was inaccurate. Christians dont hate gays, but for the most part, I agree with what imnotreally here was trying to argue. Why would a Christian work for an LGBT organization, or why would a gay person work for a Christian organization? It's illogical for that to happen. Therefore, to punish a Christian organization by stopping federal funds, just because they dont hire gays, makes zero sense, because why would a gay person even work there in the first place?

17. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Sam- part of the KKK's rationalization was that according to the bible(ask them why) blacks were inferior to whites. I am sure the KKK would argue that they don't 'hate' blacks- but they don't want white people to have to associate with them.

How is that different from a Christian organization that doesn't want to have to associate with gays?

And by the way- it would be just as wrong for a Gay rights group to refuse to hire a Catholic because of the stance of the Pope.

18. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Why would a true practicing Catholic, not just a religious person, but a Catholic who truly practices their religion, even work in a gay rights organization in the first place??

- - - Updated - - -

Because racist people hate blacks. Christians dont hate gays.

19. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

Paycheck.

Maybe they support gay rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you trust a klansman that said he wasn't racist?

TheChairman and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

I said TWO things, Sam.

But I'll answer your question to my 2nd first....if they hate gays, then they are LYING when they say they don't hate them, just homosexuality. Would you like me to cite some anti-gay rights conservative ministers making that claim?

"Regardless of what the media may say, Family Talk has no interest in promoting hatred toward homosexuals or any other group of our fellow human beings."---Dr. James Dobson, Focus on the Family

http://drjamesdobson.org/Solid-Answers/Answers?a=a361e250-c414-4bd7-bdb4-42ffc2bccacc

But what's "odd", Sam....is that the only actions that guys like Dobson engage in....don't go after homosexuality.....they go after PEOPLE who are homosexual.

It's like saying "I don't hate black people....I just hate African genes."

Now...what about my first comment?

If the Ku Klux Klan were a charity feeding the poor....but its racism lost it it's Federal funding....

would you object ot it losing its funding for "all the good work" it does?

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

JEFF nailed it.

David Duke never said (to the general public) "I hate black people."...in fact, he denied it. But he DID claim he just "wanted to protect white people...or white 'culture'." And everything he wanted was to discriminate against blacks.

22. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The KKK is a hate organization. Christians dont hate gays. I don't know any Christian who hates gays.

23. FreshAir

how many churches are forced to hire gays... see how that works

now if a LGBT group starts a BUSINESS, they too have to not discriminate

24. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Say being gay is a religion?

25. FreshAir

a non-profit is a non-profit... not a business - different rules

guess what... a tea party non-profit can't be forced to hire a democrat

and a lib non-profit group (can't think of any off hand) can't be forced to hire republicans