What are the last names in your family?

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Ronstar, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

My family has the following last names, in no useful order:

Levitch
    Jung
    Beckerman
    Mayer
    Maslin
    Goldschmidt
    Kaplinsky
    Steinberg

2. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Lincoln
    Ford
    Mercury

3. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Martin
    Van Slyke
    Burr (Yes Aaron was in there)

4. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

God.
    God.
    Of course, and God.

:D

5. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sorry mate, that's pretty personal information, especially since the name I carry is almost exclusive in America to relatively close relatives (that is, to my knowledge, everyone in America with my last name can trace their ancestry through one man who came here in the early 20th century). But the names I didn't take are common: Stone, Reynolds, and Whitmore.

6. wolfin

wolfin Member

Hulstein, Vandermeer, Johnson, Karlsson, Weigman, Peterson, Beekman.,Armstrong

7. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Family on my dad's side has been traced thru DNA to Lord Bracewell who came to America from England around 1652. Lots of similar sounding names on that side of the family.

8. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

Allen
    Cowley
    King
    McCurdy
    Wilcox
    Jr.
    Sr.
    I have geneology books for the Wilcox and McCurdy branches, but I don't know where they are at the moment. The McCurdy book goes back to the 1680s, when the first McCurdy came to America. (the first one I know of in my tree) McCurdies were also involved in the founding of Atlanta. My Wilcox book goes back to my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was a Captain in the Confederate Army. The book included a copy of his will, written before the Civil War.

The McCurdy clan was almost wiped out in the 1500s during a clan war. 3 brothers escaped the slaughter on a boat and luckily 2 of them survived overnight to land on an island before being lost at sea. The McCurdy name carried on, but the clan and the geneology history is gone. The geneology charts break for about 60 years because of lack of information, but before the break, the McCurdy ancestry goes back to Scottish Royalty that can be traced to Solomon's daughter in the Bible who married the Son of the Queen of Sheba. This is from vague memory of the McCurdy and Wilcox books that I read 20 years ago. The facts are kind of fuzzy in the memory, but the books are somewhere in my house.

My King ancestors are related to the former governor of Texas in the 1800s.

My Choctaw Indian roots are found in my Allen or Wilcox roots. I don't know the details.

Maybe one of these days I will get serious and trace my family tree and my wife's family tree for my kids.