I'd love for a Creationist to state and defend their time-line

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Gorn Captain, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Just once.

Not the usual "poking holes in Evolution"....but honestly and clearly state their believed chronology for the Creation ....year started, etc.

You know come out and say "I believe in the Genesis account. I think the first Day of Creation was in 4004 BC. Day One...Light, heavens and Earth. Day Two...sky. Day Three...dry land....etc."

And stick to it....answer the "tough questions"....."Was a 'day' a day? If not, why are other words in the Bible not open to 'interpretation'?", etc.

Now, I'll note we have a person who does his own interpretation of Creation....and uses the usual scientific, cosmological, even evolutionary time-lines......but tries to say "A 'day' in Genesis was 300 million years...then later a 'day' became 50 million years....then it became a million years"

But that's just trying to plug the Bible into accepted cosmology, geology, and paleontology and trying to fit a "Genesis" peg in an "Evolution" hole.

I'm looking for a real honest-to-gosh Creationist...who'll state his beliefs and defend them.

2. Imnotreallyhere

Imnotreallyhere Well-Known Member Donor

You do know that it's not only Christians that believe in creation, right? Most scientists believe there was a definite starting point in time for the universe, for instance. Their timeline is just as much a matter of conjecture as any religions; there is no experimental proof.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Imnotreally...what do YOU believe on the formation of the Universe, the Earth, and rise of life on this planet? And along what chronology?

4. Eternal Footman

Eternal Footman New Member

I would echo imnotreally's points. Furthermore, it seems as though you're essentially baiting creationist to lay down finite dates and times and happenings. Consider the fact that a creationist believes there is no beginning to God. He knows all before, after, inbetween. I believe Einstein illustrated this by using a bottle with liquid. Slowly dumping out the contentment, this was man's concept of time. He then plugged the opening and slowly let the liquid slosh into itself as it met the end. All at once was mixing together. Any account of the creation process is going to be would be a pretty difficult undertaking filled with assumptions.

5. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

You seem to be assuming that all creationist believe as the bible literalists do in a 6,000 years old earth, based on the begats of the bible and some wild imagination by some dude in the (iirc1600s).

Creationists and science are not mutually exclusive.

A jesuit proposed the Big Bang theory, he firmly believed that god created the universe and he used science to discover the mechanism of that creation.

Should abiogenesis be definitively proven, that would also not preclude creation of our universe and provision of our environment thru process by a supreme being. It would just elminate a ton of nonsensical religious dogma.

I personally think a supernatural being creating our universe is nonsense. I also think that anyone that believes the earth is 6,000 years old is perpetuating deliberate ignorance.

6. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the OP knows all this, but is looking for the "6000 year old earth" creationists.

I hope he/she gets some responses, meantime. I'd like to know this stuff also.

7. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Creationists are very dishonest people and you won't be able to have an open and honest discussion. They will use any number of dirty tricks to turn the argument against you.

8. Imnotreallyhere

I believe the world and universe were created by God according to scientific laws He laid down. Ergo, the timeline laid out by our current scientists is my best guess. I don't pretend to have enough education to defend it. I am not now, nor have I ever been a Bible/Koran/Bhagavad Gita/whatever literalist. However, it seems reasonable to me that a being that exists at least partly outside the universe exists outside time as well. I don't see that your position in the OP has real difficulty; Any literalist could merely claim the days were not consecutive.

9. Imnotreallyhere

This is what is called an ad hominem statement. It is an argument against the person rather than against the position. It is generally considered a fallacy, though there are people who argue this way almost exclusively.

10. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Then you don't typically fall into the category of "Creationist"....but of "Theistic Evolutionist"

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Sadly, I have found that mostly true.

They'll spend all day trying to "punch holes" in Evolution....but even with teeth-pulling refuse to state their "alternative time-line" for the rise of life on Earth....or even the creation of the Universe, which according to Genesis occurred within the same "six days".

- - - Updated - - -

I am asking them to honestly and openly lay out their "alternative theory/chronology" for the rise of life on Earth and/or the formation of the Universe.

How is it "baiting" someone....to ask them to state their views???

13. Imnotreallyhere

Learned something new then. Thanks.

14. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

The people in general have not understood the six durations were long units of time measured by the Geological clock.

In time they will see that the Bible and Science are both correct:

[​IMG]

1. Formative/Cosmologic Era-Hadean Era/ = First Day

2. Hadean Era-Archaean Era/ = Second Day

3. Archaean Era-Proterozoic Era/ = Third Day

4. Proterozoic Era-Paleozoic Era/ = Fourth Day

5. Paleozoic Era-Mesozoic Era/ = Fifth Day

6. Mesozoic Era-Cenozoic Era/ = Six Day

7. Cenozoic Era-Common Era/ = Seventh Day

15. cupid dave

Yes,... we all must work to teach these Old Heads that the Bible is correct, and Evolution is part of the story.

The 22 extinct humans that were in our emergence as modern men, arriving as three original Races, is all mentioned in the Genesis genealogy.

16. cupid dave

Yes, it is great to get the whole story clear so these old heads can understand that from the Big Bang "beginning for the heavens and the earth" each verse in Genesis adds more details that concur now with Science Theory.

Some Facts are so strange, but true, that the Bible appears very MORE divinely inspired that previously thought.
    The visible light did NOT occur with the Big Bang, but suffered 400 million years until the stars formed is one of those event, as mentioned in gen 1:3-5.

And Pangea is another example where gen 1:9 says "all the waters under heaven were gathered together into one place."

17. crank

crank Well-Known Member

with respect, your first comment seems a little like a theistic knee jerk response brought on by early 'don't question god' indoctrination.

as to the second comment, of course it's all assumptions. assumptions and wish thinking. but still they insist that they KNOW. it's the claim of knowledge that attracts all the questions. they will say "I KNOW SUCH AND SUCH", and when someone asks "please describe this such and such" or "how does such and such work" or "where can I find such and such", they respond with either anger or with slippery non-committal answers, revealing their LACK of knowledge.

if they were honest enough to admit it's all assumptions, and that no one really has a clue, we'd go a lot easier on 'em :)

18. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

Dave, I already mentioned you in my OP-

"Now, I'll note we have a person who does his own interpretation of Creation....and uses the usual scientific, cosmological, even evolutionary time-lines......but tries to say "A 'day' in Genesis was 300 million years...then later a 'day' became 50 million years....then it became a million years"

19. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

I'm an Atheist but if this deity created the Universe it could have easily made the universe look old to the finest detail, so it can appear to be ancient and it also be under 10,000 years old. I think its moronic but the position that "god did it so its the way the Bible says" is at least honest if one sticks to that as an act of faith only.

20. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Well, if you're looking for alternate stuff, here is a webpage on Vedic Archeology.

Vedic Archeology really incense western archeologists because they think they have a monopoly on Archeology.

http://gosai.com/writings/vedic-archeology

21. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

My opinion is that "God" got better and better and better at creating over infinite time in the past......long before the most recent major Big Bang event of roughly 14 billion years ago........ I am not sure exactly when the revolt of Lucifer/ Iblis occurred.... but my guess would be in the last 4.5 billion years... after the creation of the earth.......... The revolt by Lucifer may have been one of the major events to kill off the dinosaurs............. This could well have been millions of years before Adam.. maybe not????!!!

In linear time I do believe in an actual Adam and Eve created about six millennia in the past. The Book of Adam and Eve adds some interesting details to this event.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7715259/

NDE of Dr. Richard Eby verifies old earth and gap theory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was impressed with the explanation given for the fall of Lucifer which would quite possibly fit with an earth that may well be 4.5 billion years old.

Apparently a lot happened between the original creation of the earth and the time when the repairing of the earth was made necessary due to an attempted coup d'etat by Lucifer and the angels who decided to follow him!!

.near-death.com/forum/nde/000/91.html

22. DennisTate

One of the most fascinating questions that I have ran into over these past 24 years as I researched the paranormal is the difference between the time line presented by Edgar Cayce with the one that the Jewish and Christian scriptures seem to explain.

I have serious leanings toward the accuracy of the Edgar Cayce time line with ATlantis and Lemuria and lots of other strange and unusual events filling our history???!!

23. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

OK, suppose there is such a magical Being. By our definition of life it has to eat and eliminate. So what does it eat? Did its food exist before it did? Or did it pop into existence from nothing and then decided that it needed to eat so it created food for itself? If its food existed before it did then it didn't create everything. If it popped itself into existence from nothing did it have any idea what it had done? If it was the only thing in existence where did it get the material to create everything else?

24. DennisTate

Fundamental energy would exist in primarily two forms......(I think)..... Super Strings and Super Waves......…

A being composed of fundamental energy that operates at some trillion times the power level generated in a particle accelerator would not really understand the concept of hunger... that was an invention... for our benefit to humble us.....

http://www.politicalforum.com/relig...rings-super-waves-super-energetic-matter.html

Do you believe that The Creator/creators, evolved or learned?
    Voters:10. You have already voted on this poll.

Yes, all of us learn... so why not G-d/YHWH/ Creator too??!!

5..................50.00%

No.... G-d had to know everything instantly... or by definition... is not G-d!!??

5............50.00%

Multiple Choice Poll.

25. Finley99

Finley99 New Member

This is one of my favorites. Someone who believes the literal verbiage in the bible should have to show folks his/her faith:

Mark 16:
    18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

View attachment 28940