How do you feel about tattooed people?

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by markt2530, Aug 8, 2014.

1. markt2530

markt2530 Banned

Whenever I see tattoos on a person, I can't help but associate them with being a drug addict or some other type of criminal. And I don't know how anyone who isn't tattooed can look at tattooed people and not feel disgusted.

2. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

Some cultural trends are tough for older folks to swallow. But it's not our time, it's theirs. There's nothing you can do about it. I think it's stupid to cover one's body in ink, but I'm not going around bickering about others doing it.

3. birddog

birddog New Member

Sometimes I ask them, "Oh, were you in the Navy?" Sometimes they say yes.:smile:

4. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Well, my thinking is evolving on that issue. I used to think like you, but now I just think they are dumbasses. I just wish I had a bit more investment capital--I'd invest in tattoo removal technology. Fresh tattoos usually look good on young firm skin..... Faded ink tattoos don't look so good on wrinkly older skin.

5. cenydd

cenydd Well-Known Member Past Donor

Precisely. Cultures develop and change over time. Not so long ago people would have been horrified at a lady showing her ankles in public, or a gentleman out of doors without a hat, or (heaven forbid) ladies wearing trousers and men with long hair!

Tattoos used to be the preserve of the military, prisons and the drug-and-lawless fraternity. Times have changed, tattoos have gone 'mainstream', and many, many perfectly ordinary and respectable people choose to have them for no reason other than that they like them and think they look good. Whether they do or not is a matter of personal opinion, of course, but that's the tricky thing with FREEDOM - people just have to accept that other people are also free. They are free to make their own choices, and it's not up to anybody else to judge them or condemn them on the basis of the choices that they make. As long as they don't have an effect on someone else directly (and nobody is forcing anybody else to get inked!), it's a matter for them to decide whether anybody else enjoys their aesthetic or not - that's just the price of living in a free society.

An alternative kind of society might have no tattoos, of course, but personally I don't think it would be likely to be a society that I'd prefer to live in. That being the case, rather than finding them distasteful, perhaps people should really be celebrating the existence of tattoos on others as visible evidence of the freedom of the society in which they live.

robini123 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to get a tattoo, myself, just not quite enough to spend the money on it. Whenever I've got a few hundred bucks lying around ('cause I want a good tattoo), I end up spending it on something more practical.

7. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

The last statement is spot on. Unfortunately, people see abortion as visible evidence of freedom, too. If freedom means getting tattoos, abortions and smoking weed to you; thanks for making life easier for my kids. That just means less competition for them. Not you personally, by the way.

8. MisterMet

MisterMet New Member Past Donor

A little tattoo on your arm or leg, no biggie. Basically something that can be covered up when you're doing business or dressed up. You start tattooing your face, neck, and hands...you better be self employed.

Facial tattoo's are like the white flag in the game of life.

9. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

You could work in an industry which doesn't care about the tattoo. . .like a tattoo artist or professional skater :)

But it is the reason I will never get a tattoo, there is no way in hell I will want to be looking at that same doodle when I'm 80. They look good when you are young, tattoos on middle aged folks just look bad.

10. FrankCapua

FrankCapua Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think tattoos on a woman make her look cheap, and a bit trashy.

Just my opinion.

And on men, a cry for attention.

11. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

Isn't that the truth. I think it's stupid to inject ink into your skin with a needle purposely. LOL, when I was young, back in the '70s and '80s -high school, college in my 20s, tatoos where uncool, you laughed at the old people who had them, they where usually navy vets or something, with a ship, anchor or hula girls tatooed on them! You could never imagine then that it would be popular with hip young people? And it's odd, as America has become so "health obsessed" no drinking, smoking, just eat lettuce etc. injecting ink into your skin has widespread acceptance?

12. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

The statement in the OP is a definition of bigotry.

13. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

My Grandpa had "NAV" tattooed on his arm. He sobered up before the "Y" was started! :roflol:

14. NothingSacred

I saw this heavily tatooed mother/daughter combo in the Super Market one day. They looked exactly alike, one was in her 20s, the other in her 50s or older, they where both in shorts and a tank top, the young one was hot, even though I think she'd be hotter with less or no tatoos, but I thought, doesn't she realize that in 30 years she'll be all wrinkled and ugly covered in ink like mom? The older one looked horrible, lol. Their choice I guess, just doesn't appeals to me.

15. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

Wear jewelry.

When it goes out of style, as tatoos invariably will, once the cycle runs its course, you can buy new jewelry, but the tramp stamp is forever.

16. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

You would think there would be a bigger market or advancement in long term temporary tattoos. I think I would rock a tattoo during the summer if I could just take it off in a few months.

17. NothingSacred

And the worst is getting "sleaves", OK, get a nice tatoo on your bicep, fine, but I don't get the desire to cover entire arms, or even bodies?

18. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

What a person does to decorate his/her body is none of my business. However I do not find them particularly attractive.

19. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Unfortunately jewellery has become relatively expensive since europeans lost control of most of the mines in Afrika and Asia, so they had to revert back to traditional celtic methods of body art, tattoos.

20. Tahuyaman

Tahuyaman Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with a tattoo or two, but some can over do it. I just wonder how many people come to regret their decision later in life? Also one thing I've noticed is that many of the people who over do the tattoos are the people who can afford it the least.

21. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

It's popular in the military to get a tattoo, maybe "Semper Fi" or a tattoo of your unit patch. It's a long and colorful tradition in the Navy. The military is getting more selective now, they prefer that no ink shows while in uniform, in fact it's cause for separation in certain cases. It is treated as defacing government property.

One thing I can say for sure...
    Military officership and tattoos do not mix, leave the tattoos for the enlisted. You want a career killer, get a tattoo as a commissioned officer.

22. Tahuyaman

Tahuyaman Well-Known Member

In the military, the issue with tattoos is more about gang and extremist organization affiliations.

23. domer76

domer76 New Member

Not so much since I've come to know many. But I do question their judgement, especially the heavily tatted ones.

24. nra37922

nra37922 Well-Known Member

Years back I dated a beautiful woman with a tattoo of a small rose on a beautiful location on her body. Didn't bother me at all. Now the clowns that look like circus freaks are another matter.

25. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

A woman I know has tattoos that cover one side of her body. They run from just below her ear, down over her hands, and on down to her feet. She applied for a job as a receptionist in a very prestigious law firm. She didn't get the job and was whining that she thought it was because of her tattoo.

A man robbed a bank in our town and was caught a few minutes later sitting in a bar. Sure, he wore a pair of pantie hose over his head but the speider web tattoo that covered his face was still plainly visible.

A police officer got her face tattooed. She got a unicorn and a shooting star on her cheek. I thought, and still think, that was incredibly stupid.