Problem with Robocalls.......

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by everyman2013, Aug 20, 2014.

1. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

Anyone here been getting calls 3 or 4 times a day from unknown source(s)? I have gotten 6 in one day from differant area codes, and when I try to redial, the message says the number is disconnected/out of service. I managed to track one number to what appears to be a company that offers a switching service, but no luck finding out who owns/runs it. If anybody has made more progress than that at tracking down the source of these calls, I would really appreciate some feedback.
    Thanx.

2. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

I'm getting lots of them from various states and so is my wife. It just got heavier in recent months. Must be via a forwarding service of some sort, at least some of them, because return calls to those numbers usually result in a message that the number is not in service. Could be an outgoing only line but I am guessing they spoof a number for caller id and make the call from another location.

3. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

Yeah. The outfit I tracked one number to is Inteliquent (formerly Neutral Tandem) out of Chicago. I filed an e-complaint with the FTC-waiting on a reply, if any. I'll try to keep you posted.

4. everyman2013

everyman2013 New Member

I just happened to find something that may help you in an old Consumer Reports. Go to Nomorobo.com. It's free and is advertised as being able to block robocalls if your carrier qualifies, something having to do with a feature called simultaneous ring (their sevice can't help with Verizon or TracFone). Luck.
    Enjoy!

5. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

No more robocalls...
    :thumbsup:
    U.S. asks phone companies to provide 'robocall' blocking technology
    July 22, 2016 | WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission on Friday pressed major U.S. phone companies to take immediate steps to make technology that blocks unwanted automated calls available to consumers at no charge.

6. Zorroaster

Zorroaster Well-Known Member

This is mostly, as I understand it, due to malfunctions in computer systems that are used to automate telemarketing systems.

I handle this by using a good call-blocking app for my smartphone. We have ditched our landline, so it's no longer a problem.

7. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

If I get a live sales call and I have time, I keep them on the line as long as possible. Not only does it tick them off when they realize they won't get the sale, it also keeps them from bothering several other people. Win win. I make sure to ask to be removed from their call list before getting off of the phone.

8. richf710965

richf710965 New Member

I had a call the other day from a woman with a very heavy foreign accent. She told me she worked for "Windows" and my computer had been infected with a virus and was sending them signals. I told her I didn't own a computer. Apparently she hadn't been programmed for that and became very flustered. Before hanging up on me she screamed I was a liar and going straight to hell.

Made my day.

9. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

Those are good ones. You should have told her a fake name (Jim Shorts, Mike Hunt, Richard Cranium, etc.....) and then give her a bunch of false info. This is one of the few times where it is perfectly acceptable to take advantage of somebody's lack of English language skills. You could eventually tell her that your computer is an Apple.

I get a lot of calls to buy an extended warranty for cars I sold years ago. After a few minutes, I admit that I sold the car. They then try to sell me an extended warranty for my new car. I start giving them information that I have an F-150, it's a 1998, and it has 367k miles. That's where they usually hang up.

They are the kind of people who prey on the elderly. I do all I can to screw them over.