Bill Shorten - rape allegations.....

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Aug 21, 2014.

1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

2. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

It will leave a bit of a cloud over his head for sure but strange she would raise the issue at the time he became opposition leader. It would be interesting to know what kind of person she is and why she hasn't responded to her claims from police. I don't think this will be the last of it as is being suggested, not until people know a bit more information about this woman.

3. m2catter

Yeap,
    why wait 30 years to come out for something like that?
    And yes, if you throw enough mud, some will stick - but by now people would know that after we have seen it live in the run up to the last election....
    Regards

4. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Some victim's might not be able to handle having their perp in their face on the media all the time, and/or perhaps being successful.
    Out of sight, out of mind = no pain
    Splashed on the TV everyday = pain
    Therefore coming out with the story to shut off the pain.

Just because the Police cannot get enough evidence, doesn't mean he didn't do it. It's a shame the truth can not just be magickally known, as rapists should be held to account, and so must people who might lie about being raped.

5. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

Seriously, who the fukk cares? But I must say, women suddenly bringing up decades old grevinces against public figures seems to be the latest fad.

6. truthvigilante

Certainly lack of evidence does not suggest he is innocent but your pain equation is a little bizarre considering his head has been on our television screens constantly for several years now. :blankstare:

7. truthvigilante

No different to allegations made against priests. Anyway, I don't think one expects you to delve into deeper realms anyway, the shallow areas is where you seem to be comfortable in concocting your opinions!

8. axialturban

Constantly, for several years!!?? What TV are you watching? He has been on the sidelines of the Rudd/Gillard/Carr/Swan show.... even Combet got more press coverage then short man Shorten. He was not that public until getting the leadership of the ALP and that is when the complaint was made, unless a person spent a lot of time looking at ALP news.

Anyway to your point... occasional references of an ALP minister can be avoided by someone deliberately avoiding it (like a victim), but a potential future PM is hard to avoid in the present or possible future, hence the equation. Nothing bizarre about it, seems quite logical and realistic to me. If she was telling the truth she might have wanted 'Australia' to know her 'truth' about the man that might become the next PM. To me it sounds perfectly like how a victim would think.

What is interesting is to see how the different media outlets report it, and its also interesting to consider how much mud the ALP higher echelons have on them from their past union activities. I think Shorten was accused of other stuff at the Union investigations too, so consider he puts on such a soft face to the public I wonder if he is not bipolar or a deliberate two faced sociopath!? We'll never know because the media in this country does not bother to investigate or report anything negative about the ALP, even this was kept quiet until he himself came out about it. I can imagine if someone blamed Abbott for rape it would be frontline news for months.... like it was when someone accused him of pushing them hard in the shoulder equating Abbott as a violent person unable to control rage.

TLDR; So does this mean anyone voting for the ALP might voting for a rapist to lead the country?

9. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

Lets just hope Shorten and the team start pulling NO punches with Abbott and HIS mod. This is Abbotts doing, you can smell him all over this - the same way he went after Pauline Hanson like a rabid dog

They want to get personal, then I would be targeting the "little princess" for accepting that scholarship that wasn't offered to anyone else.

10. culldav

The tarnish of being accused of rape doesn't go away, there is will always be doubts, and those doubts cannot be associated with a PM, and Abbott and his attack dogs know it. Shorten is gone, and the ALP this time have to choose the right person, because they are looking like a spent force.

11. axialturban

Conspiracy much? Perhaps your right, but it would be a HUGE risk to take, when one was not needed to be taken. I doubt it very much.

Scholarships happen all the time for various reasons, its only the politically biased which see a problem in it.

12. robot

robot Active Member

One big difference between the two is that there are heaps of allegations made against certain priests. Plus a massive cover up. This is one woman without any further evidence. If there were heaps of women that would be a different story. Or some other evidence.

13. truthvigilante

In any instance the allegation is extremely serious and should be treated as such. Despite the woman's timing being a little suspicious and the fact it is just one woman with an allegation, one woman is enough to make voters uneasy and make his position untenable if it can't be fully verified. There was obviously a situation he was involved in, so it wasn't made up by some random woman. If she was drunk and he took advantage of her, his moral compass is a little concerning. More detail is required otherwise he is a goner I believe.

14. m2catter

Do you live in Australia? The ALP got its fair share in the run up to the last election, thanks to Rupert und his henchmen....

And how could this girl 30 years back know that this bloke might run for PM one Day?

Utterly bullocks....
    Regards

15. m2catter

I am sure you live on the moon, no one, and I mean no one can be biased towards one party that much that he lives with lies......

16. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

It was the Liberal's tactic during Opposition to just throw mud everywhere and hope some of it stuck.

17. robot

robot Active Member

How drunk was she? So drunk she was unconscious or very nearly? Or just had one or two? Just saying "I was drunk at the time" is not evidence of anything.
    Also since the passage of time memory alters. She may have said yes at the time then felt bad afterwards. Memory might be changed due to time so that she thinks she did not consent at the time.

Yes it might handicap Shorten we will have to see. I hope not.

18. truthvigilante

For the life of me, I can't understand these people putting up their hands knowing they have skeletons in the closet. If they are going to enter into politics and aim for the highest office at least ensure you are freakin clean enough to carry it out without pissing people off and messing people around. All parties need to do thorough background checks of their members and those that don't disclose should be expelled for misleading the Australian people immediately. I hope for his sake and the sake of having an appropriate opposition to rid ourselves of the clowns running the show at the moment that he is cleared without doubt in our minds.

19. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Would be interesting, considering it has been out there for two years, I don't believe shorten was opposition leader then but hey whatever you want to make up to discredit anybody you don't like... Just goes to show people will make anything up to support their own agenda.

20. robot

robot Active Member

No one is perfect. If that was a criteria for public office then there would be very few people who could stand. The police have said there is not enough evidence to prosecute, so we must assume he is innocent.

21. Gwendoline

Gwendoline Well-Known Member

Speculation works both ways. The other side of speculation is that she may have been raped. She claimed it upset her / prompted her to say something when his face kept popping up on the TV when he became opposition leader.

Rape is an incredibly under-reported crime.

Just to think of how Rolf Harris got away with so many sexual assaults for so many decades.

We don't know. And speculation isn't 'knowing'. Maybe the woman will come forward. In which case, we can hear her out.

22. truthvigilante

It certainly makes Abbott look like an angel. The libs won't try and gain any political ground on this, they know it will eat at people's conscience without their help. I don't think it can be swept under the carpet and I don't think it will help if the woman remains silent here on end. If he is innocent, he will need to pursue it to clear his name I believe. It will be interesting to see what the next opinion polls suggest.

23. truthvigilante

Absolutely, but rape is a very serious crime. It makes the claims about abbott's misogyny seem petty. Surely our society isn't that perverted that we don't have a substantial majority of political reps who can walk with confidence without serious misdemeanours laying silently in their hidden depths ready to be exposed.

24. robot

robot Active Member

The problem is that the allegations do not have to be true. If several women come forward and say they were raped by the same person then I would think there is something in it. This is what happened with Rolf Harris. Or if some woman says he did it yesterday and he is now under arrest for rape.

25. culldav

I think we know without being biased, that the fundamental principal behind a scholarship; is that they are offered to more than "one" candidate, and usually given on academic merit. Unfortunately, this scholarship was given on a merit based on "social privilege" rather than academic merit, and we both know it.