George Bush delivers possibly the best ALS ice bucket challenge yet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CatholicCrusader, Aug 21, 2014.

1. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

2. sec

sec Well-Known Member

He's probably one of the last presidents we will have who had faith and moral values to ground him.

3. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

President Bush is, and always was a classy guy.

4. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

Amen.

..and Amen.

5. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

6. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

JavisBeason, that post is so incredibly stupid its unbelievable.

First of all, Bush gives more money to charity than you will ever even see.

Second, your leftwing Hollywood and Hamptons friends waste more water on their plush lawns then that kid in the photo will ever see.

Your post in nothing but sheer leftwing ignorance.

RichT2705 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

your anger is expected.... but a little misplaced.... I'm not leftwing... AT ALL.

I'm just not a fan of pious acts only done so you can post it to facebook and get pats on the back for it. I donate time and money too, I'm not going around bragging about it on social media (this example excluded)

Charity is not about how many people see you do it..... donate privately what you feel you can afford and be done with it.

of course, I also realize, this campaign is targetting the ones who don't normally donate and that can be guilted into it. I don't fall into that category....

8. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's always a little funny and awkward when someone jumps on you for being a leftist for having moderately different views to them. Especially when you let them know and they're all apologetic.

I must admit I have a soft spot for Bush Jr. - not in terms of policy of course, but he seems like such a chilled guy. I'll forever picture him as ripping that joint in Harold and Kumar: Guantanamo Bay. I'm sure that's what he'd be like in real life :p

9. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

I like W.... policies and for like you described.... I like how he's stayed out of politics after leaving in 08. It would only serve to divide the country if, around 10-11 and now, if he were to start ripping into Obama's policies.

I also like how he called out Bill Clinton in the challenge, and not just a partison political friend like Condi Rice.

This ice-water challenge is a double edged sword. If you are political, or in a job in the public eye.... you almost HAVE to take this challenge because if you don't, you get crucified for disagreeing with the theory behind it.

and didn't this use to be the ice-plunge challenge or something? and someone drown, or had a heart attack or something after jumping in a freezing lake or pool?

10. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

If that's true, then what is the point of posting that picture?

11. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

well, considering your "facts" (that I'm a leftwing nut) is wrong.... I'm doubtful of the rest

The facebook explaination is explained a little more in a different post.... I'll recap though....

politicians have to do this.... but their careers are based on pious gestures.

Everyday people who do it on social media are just doing it for the backpatting they will get from it.

So this challenge works on many levels.

W. doesn't need the back pats, but average Joe sure seems to relish the attention....

12. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think the challenge is fine and social media is getting people that normally would not donate to participate. There are plenty of bad ways to die but ALS is one of the worst. My childhood buddy's father died of it and it was horrible. A nicer man you would never meet.

13. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

The ice bucket challenge is perfect for our narcissistic times. It combines charity with self promotion.

14. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

because the entire idea is stupid. now careful... I'm not saying donating to ALS is stupid....

but if it takes such a pious demonstration for you to donate to (name a worthy cause).... are you doing it for the right reasons? Sure, the cause gets badly needed money which is fine... but I find, the people who get most offended by that picture, are usually the ones that don't make it a habit to donate to anything in the first place.

I'm peer pressured and wear pink in October. I don't like pink, so I don't own pink stuff normally. But if you don't wear pink, you spend more time explaining why you disagree with pious gestures that doesn't change how much I've given to charities in the past. So I found a cheap $5 rack pink polo. None of the proceeds went to the Susan B. Kohlman charity, it was just a pink shirt that was marked down because noone bought it. I wore it for 4 fridays in Oct and I got all the back patting like I just stroked a check for 100,000$ when in reality... I didn't do anything.

I didn't do it for the congrats... I did it so I could focus on my job, that kept getting interrupted every friday by "oh, you don't support cancer awareness" No, I'm already aware that cancer sucks....

- - - Updated - - -

this.......

15. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

Nice post.

That may be true in some cases, but I don't think so in this case. I mean, Bush engaged in "self promotion"? To what end? He's not running for office and he's not trying to sell anything.

16. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

yep... that's what I meant by "target audience" those who don't donate, but who are narcissitic and can be guilted into it.

I set a "donations" fund in my budget, without having to post about it on FB for the world to see. I give what I'm comfortable giving to various charities.... Out of that budget, ALS could be included, but then a different charity already on my list, would get less.

Money is finite, and choices are made.... I'm comfortable donating where I donate

17. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

don't forget, "bush" is a name that may make a run in a couple of years.....

you have to admit.... having a bush call out a clinton is much better looking than a clinton calling out a bush considering names for 2016 being thrown around as possible candidates

18. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Bush is a moron.

The world is falling apart thanks in part to his stupidity.

Now he dumps water on his head like a reformed drunken fool and the lazy bum who took Bush's place in the White House plays golf on Martha's Vineyard.

America is in decline because of bad presidents like Clinton, bush and Obama.

They can all go to hell.

19. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

nice guy horrible President, that said those complaining there was no ice in the water or that it is wasting water should get a life.

Want to conserve water........great. There are ways to do it. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth for a month and you probably save enough water for all the ice bucket challenges done so far.

21. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Bush is a nice person.

So what?

He's also a fool.

22. CatholicCrusader

CatholicCrusader Banned

I highly doubt it. As unfair as it is and as unfair as W has been treated, the name is still tainted now, rightly or wrongly. Jeb won't run, and even if he does he won't get nominated.

There is some odd friendship between the Bush's and Bubba that nobody has been quite able to fully understand.

Only a moron would say that.

Bush was a great president. The first 6 years of Bush were way WAY better than Obama's reign of terror have been.

And why were the last two years of Bush bad? Here is why, as I posted before:

23. eleison

eleison New Member

Regarding the word "fool", did you vote for Obama :) hahahaha... after it's all done and said, I think Bush will be proven to be one of the better presidents.. Water boarding??? Who cares about water boarding when the enemy is cutting off heads?

24. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Member

The purpose of the ice bucket challenge for ALS is to bring attention to the cause. Nearly all the celebrities, politicians and many of the regular people will donate to it, as well. By doing the YouTube videos they bring it forefront of a lot of people's minds if only for a short time. Think about it, there are many people who had never heard of ALS before this started going around.

No matter what anyone thinks of him as a leader, no one can really dispute that President Bush has been a class act since leaving office. On numerous occasions people have tried to goad him into talking about his successor. He refuses. He's been clear. The job of President is hard enough without anyone who used to be in the office criticizing your every decision. He also did not allow any presidential administration pranks to be played upon Barack Obama, the incoming POTUS. Even though his predecessor's administration had removed many of the door handles and the letter "W" from nearly all the keyboards.

25. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

one of the last drunks to find God at the bottom of a bottle the right will ever vote for... that can't be a bad thing

that said, good for Bush to help get the word out....