My point about the right to defend ourselves

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Arphen, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Arphen

Arphen Banned

This time I don`t mean the prohibition of the right to bear arms. No, it is our right, prescribed in the Constitution. We are willing and able to defend ourselves. And that's good. But there is another side to the coin.
    I believe that for self-defense at home is enough for me to have a hunting rifle or a simple pistol. I do not need to buy an automatic and a large and strong gun to scare away a thief or show someone that I can protect my home. Yes, it is enough to have simple rifle at home. And that's what I am talking about. Only crazies buying automatic guns and powerful guns on the pretext of self-defense. We do not need to restrict the right to defend ourselves. We need to restrict the sale of heavy guns.

2. Toefoot

Toefoot Well-Known Member Past Donor

Love me some heavy guns, always dated heavy guns and in my harem heavy guns rule.

Please google heavy guns.

3. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

What do we use to defend ourselves against thieves using body armor? A .22 won't do it like my 12 GA.

4. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

You are within your right to decide FOR YOURSELF what constitutes adequate self-defense based on your situation, and I fully support your decisions. Once you make the leap to suggesting TO ME what is adequate for MY situation, then we have a disagreement. If you go a step further and propose that you will use the strong-arm of government to MANDATE what is adequate for others, based on YOUR perceptions and YOUR situation, then we have a real (*)(*)(*)(*)ing problem.

*I* am responsible for my self-defense, and *I* will make the decisions on what is necessary to secure my home and family. I hope you respect my right to do that, as I respect yours.

5. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

and why is it you dictate how, where, and with what we defend ourselves? Any further restrictions border on lunacy/registration/confiscation.

6. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

Who are these people you are referring to that are buying automatic weapons to defend their home?

Do you know what it takes to privately own an automatic weapon in the US?

7. Arphen

Arphen Banned

We may only own a machine gun that was manufactured and registered with the BATF before May 19, 1986. Weapons manufactured after that date are restricted for Military and Law Enforcement use only. Automatic weapons can be owned by private citizens, but there is a federal licenses, which are considered to difficult to obtain. But, in our corrupted to the roots country you can get any license you want

8. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

Then you also know that ownership is rather rare. Knowing that, what are you using as the basis for your assertion that people are using automatic weapons for self-defense?

9. emptystringer

emptystringer Active Member Donor

What gives you the right to tell me ,what I need to defend myself? My needs and you're needs are probable very different. I'm also curious as to what you call a "heavy gun" . Is anything more the a 22.cal a heavy gun to you? Oh and please show us here ,where are all those crazies,that are buying these automatic firearms.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Let me add my two cents, I need to be able to defend myself any where I am, nit just home. That is my right. A simple rifle to defend your home is a horrible choice for both home and public self defense as you have a greater risk of your rounds going further that you intended, automatic weapons are tightly controlled and I can't recall if I have ever read about anyone using an automatic weapon for defense of a home. Shotguns would be very effective for home defense with an open line of sight but are practically useless for self defense in public as you would be hard pressed to carry one concealed. Nope the overall best choice even with tradeoffs is the good old handgun. I don't really care how heavy a gun my pistol is.....:wink:

11. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

Just so you understand, when someone bashes through my front door in the wee hours of the morning your beliefs will be the most irrelevant thing in the world. Second thought it matters not if someone is bashing through my door as to the relevancy of your beliefs.
    Now that you understand that perhaps you could refashion your beliefs appropriately.

12. Texan

Texan Well-Known Member

This is reasonable. I found my choice of hunting rifle for home defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLp6DQjDjxw

13. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

First of all you do not sound like a gun guy to me what exactly is a large and strong gun? And automatic rifles I have a lot of guns and runaround with gun guys and I have never talked to any one with an automatic rifle I find it hard to believe that is a big issue. But never the less who are you to dictate what someone should have. I know people with 338s they are fun guns. Does that bother you? Why can't we just buy what we what? Myself personally own around 40 guns. What is wrong with that why can't I purchase as many guns as I want? Most guns I have not even used I just purchased them for the beauty for them. Nothing quite as pretty as a trapdoor color cased hardened with an octagon barrel. Talking about nice. Why don't you just leave me alone and worry about yourself.

14. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Please explain what heavy guns means in your eyes. Is a 12 lb hunting rifle a heavier gun than an 8 lb AR?

Also, what do you mean by automatic guns? Automatic guns are all but banned (you can own them, but there are many restrictions on them).

15. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your ideas are very vauge. What is your interpretation of what an "automatic" is? Is it a semi-automatic---a gun that automatically reloads after each shot is fired? Or a true automatic, that fires full-auto as long as the trigger is depressed? Do you, like Bloomberg's anti-gun leaders think that an assault weapn is any gun that can fire more than 10 rounds a minute?

Elaborate on what a hunting rifle is. Can it only be level action or bolt action or single shot? AR-type rifles are very common hunting rifle these days.

What is a "simple" pistol? It can't be very large or strong. It must be so small and weak that it cannot scare a home intruder away.

What, pray tell, are your weapons that you say are enough? Share them, please.

My personal suggestion for you would be a single shot .22 pistol or a BB gun.

16. emptystringer

emptystringer Active Member Donor

It seems the op has went into hiding,and is afraid to answer our questions.

17. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

18. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

The only times I have had to defend myself from other people have been when I was in the outdoors. Sometimes, a semi-auto centerfire pistol is the right gun for the threat. I thought my AK was all the rifle I needed, until some clown decided to shoot at me from over 100 yards away. The AK would work just fine to kill him, but I don't want to kill him. I want to blow up the can of beer he has sitting on his hood first. If that makes him stop and go away, that's fine. So I set up a heavy barreled AR for varmint hunting. If the busted beer can doesn't impress him, then I have the accuracy I need to try again. I'll keep my right to choose, thank you. So far, those choices have kept me alive.

19. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

So because you don't need it that means other people must not need it.

I don't need one myself, but the difference is, I believe in the right for the adult to choose for himself if he or she wants one.

And a right is not based on need, it is based on choice and limiting government power.

Remember, what you give to the government the government can take away from you too.

20. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

once they have your Rights, you cannot recover them

21. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

You can you just need firearms. That's what the second amendment is for.

22. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

I so agree. Without the means to protect your Rights in the 11th hour, we would find ourselves directly screwed....let's use Ferguson as an example of what's to come with the militarized police state.

23. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

As a big defender of 2d Amendment rights, I say BRAVO. However, I would extend this to the right to defend yourself on the street against government brutalism and crime. This is why I call for the citizens of Ferguson and every inner city in the USA to fully arm themselves in accordance with their constitutional rights just like the Black Panthers did in Texas. The police there were forced to stop their crimes and it will work nationwide if this corrective step was taken. Let's hear a big endorsement from all NRA and Tea Party members of this forum.

24. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Has the troll come back yet?

25. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

no, but the other one is back :roflol: