The MiG-31 Has Bad Engines

Discussion in 'Warfare / Military' started by Taxcutter, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

It’s rather remarkable that the Cold War era MiG-31 is still flying. It’s essentially a re-hash of the age-old MiG-25. Its temperamental, fuel-guzzling engines limit its usefulness. Yet it remains in service.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairfo/articles/20140826.aspx

They should suffice for crushing Ukraine, however.

2. KGB agent

KGB agent Well-Known Member

Just as remarkable as those F-15 and F-16 relics, i'll give you that.

3. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Taxcutter says:
    All but the F-15Es have been sent to Davis-Monthan. Same problem as F-14s and A-10s. Thirty-odd years of high-tempo operations has fatigued out the airframes.

The F-16s in service today are rarely more than ten or twelve years old. They can out-fight anything else in the sky - at least today.

The fact the F-15 A,B,C, and D models are in the bone yard is why is is such a disaster that production of the F-22 was stopped.

Back on topic (more or less) the engines in the F-14 (B models and later), F-15, F16, F/A-18 and A-10 were very reliable. Both the Pratt & Whitney and the GE engines. Good engines being reduced to parts.

I hear the Indians have given up on the dirt-cheap MiG-21. Not only is is obsolete But the engines have a tendency to flame out on take-off and they don't have "zero altitude" ejection seats like all the US planes have. The Chinese have the same problem with their MiG knockoffs.

4. KGB agent

KGB agent Well-Known Member

Yeah, taking into account that most of MiG-31 were grounded between 1991 and 2002, their resource should be fine, but not eternal.

I've met reports they are 24 y.o. on average. Don't know if they count only operational aircraft or the ones in reserve too.
    Until it comes to MiG-31, mentioned above, of course. F-16 will have it's ass kicked in BVR.

The ages of airframes themselves and the engines are close to 40 y.o. No wonder they are falling out of the sky by themselves.

Besides, it always comes down to maintance. USSR lost about 10% of it's MiG-21 park due to accidents, india managed to lost 1/3.
    They still can't develop their engine-building industry properly. According to the rumors, their best engines (particulary WS-10 clone of Al-31) have the resource of early series of Al-31, about 300 hours.

When it comes to a link you have used, you should be advised it is a American fanboys site and is not taken seriously by anyone, except American fanboys. But I am sure you are aware of that.

5. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

You are near to offend an object of cult ... a MIG! It can be an old rubbish no more able to fly, but it's anyway a MIG ... lovers of avionics adore that series of planes [I'm among them].

6. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

My understanding is that the MiG design bureau is being taken over by Sukhoi.

7. xAWACr

xAWACr Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28956792