Middle Eastern Situation, NATO Failure

Discussion in 'Security & Defenses' started by Luke77b, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Luke77b

Luke77b Newly Registered

Well this is my first post, so go easy on me.

Arguably, the thing that makes me most angry (lots of things make me angry) about global affairs is that other countries are completely all talk. For example, take a look at the situation with ISIS in Syria and Iraq. They are clearly a credible and viable threat, as they have taken important land holdings in both of these countries. In my opinion, intervention was necessary otherwise I feel they would have steamrolled right through Iraq and taken the capital within a couple years.

Yet again, our good friends in NATO refuse to provide any tangible military support. A combined air effort, rather than just the United States, would be far more affective and would expedite the process a lot. Countries like the UK, France, Turkey, etc all seem to think that shoveling weapons and money at these middle eastern nations is the answer. I do believe that there are stable factions in this region (Kurds), but I do not believe they are capable of defending themselves. If their land was captured, this money and weaponry would be taken under control of the enemy, greatly increasing the power of a ruthless terrorist organization. A combination of financial aid, weapons, and military support (whether it be through air strikes, advisors, etc) is the right answer.

You guys are probably going to call me a typical warmonger American, but how can you say that these stable-minded factions of the Middle East have the power to defend themselves from organizations like ISIS and Al- Qaeda descendants, with just money and weapons.

What do you guys think of this situation, and our allies' refusal to become involved militarily with us?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

Refused?

Exactly what country in the region has asked for NATO support? I seem to have missed that part.

3. Mayerling

Mayerling Well-Known Member

As an American, this is what I think.

1) Egypt has enough on her hands keeping the same terrorists at bay both in her territory ( Northern Sinai) and on her borders (Libya and Gaza).

2) I think Israel should get involved with boots on the ground as obviously they have a lot at stake.

3) Let the Gulg states do something for a change, the owe us- ESP Saudi Arabia and Kuwait

4. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

You miss something ... EU countries [France, Italy, Estonia ...] are supplying weaponry to Pesh Merga to fight against ISIS, UK is already airlifting vehicles from Jordan to Kurdistan. It's obvious that we European don't have that all American mania about medias [you are always under spotlights], so that you don't see on FOX or CNN EU military units doing something there, but who cares? We are already doing something.

Not enough? Absolutely not enough. It will take time, but be patient, we are coming ...

5. AlpinLuke

1) I agree, Egypt can deal with those bands of thugs without a great effort.

2) I don't agree! The involvement of Israel would set the region on fire and it would give an argument to motivate extremists and fundamentalists to join ISIS.

3) I agree, I'm expecting a lot from Saudi Arabia this time.

6. Mayerling

Mayerling Well-Known Member

I agree with you regarding point 2 although there are many many Arab states who have been supportive of the Israeli state in the past.

7. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Saudi Arabia is doing something... They are funding the Lebanese Army to keep ISIL out of Lebanon and they are training Syrian troops on Saudi soil.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Jordan has asked for support from NATO.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Jordan has asked for support from NATO.

8. AlpinLuke

You're right, and actually, to make an example, Egypt is still taking part to the blockade of Gaza [just to underline that political Arab leaderships know well "realpolitik" like the Western ones]; but I'm more concerned about the so called "Arab masses" who seem to be quite sensitive to anti-Israel propaganda.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

Yes they did, on 1 September.

And they were not refused.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/09/02/Paper-NATO-Ready-To-Back-Jordan-Against-Islamic-State

They are already getting assistance from both the US and the UK, and more nations are promising assistance. We actually have a fairly close relationship with Jordan, and members of it's military regularly train with their counterparts in the US (there were 5 members of the Jordanian Army in my class at NCO school 2 years ago - ranging from Corporal to Sergeant Major).

I am not saying that no nations have asked for assistance, just that none who have asked have been refused assistance. And if they have been refused, I would love to see a reference to that. Turkey is a member of NATO and has refused NATO help in their country. Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt are all actively working with NATO to fight ISIS. Libya has refused to allow an active ground presence, but are working with NATO intelligence agencies, and Iraq is still sitting the fence, wanting help in the form of intelligence and weapons as well as air support, but not wanting ground troops. The only country currently fighting ISIS that has refused to ask for help is Syria (and if they ask it might even be given - with appropriate concessions of course).

I am not denying that NATO has been asked, I should have worded that better. I was trying to ask which country had been refused assistance after asking for it, which was the claim.