Is it too late? Abbot Point, Great Barrier Reef

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Aug 28, 2014.

1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am not sure if there was ever another PM being so much hated as this fricking loser. Even his own flock is abandoning the ship.......

http://www.news.com.au/technology/e...s-i-got-it-wrong/story-e6frflp0-1227040230696

Please do whatever you can to stop this monster party because they will destroy Australia:

http://www.change.org/p/tony-burke-...hancock-s-coal-export-terminal-at-abbot-point

There are different petitions going, where you can sign up to stop those lunatics from destroying the Reef for their greed.

In my humble opinion, if you don't fight the Abbott Government (peacefully, as I don't believe in violence), please leave Australia...

Regards

2. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

Going to a protest on Sunday.

3. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

So what is bad about the LNP reducing the size of the ALP approved port?

It was going to be something like 12 times bigger under the ALP. Were you folk protesting against the ALP then, is it just hypocrisy from the political left, or do you actualy support destruction of the reef by fighting its reduction in size?

Under Labor, there were at least 12 port and dredging projects approved or considered for
    Abbot Point and the Port of Gladstone alone, with more than 93 million cubic metres of
    dredging proposed or approved.
    The Abbot Point approvals by the Coalition Government will permit a total of 3 million cubic
    metres of dredging – less than a twelfth of what was proposed under Labor.

I think I worked it out.... the ALP supporters are upset about this is 'actually' because it means less blue collar work - youz dont give a stuff about the Great Barrier Reef do youz!!! Perpetuating lies for political gain - the only thing the ALP is good at.

4. m2catter

I am against a port there, within the reef, regardless which government is in place. It is one of a kind, the reef, and needs our protection, for us, our children, their children and so on.
    Regards

5. DominorVobis

What are you raving on about now, honestly, you are so right winged EVERYTHING else is left to you because there is nothing more extreme right than you.

Read this, it doesn't matter who builds it or what size it is , WE DON"T NEED IT TO SURVIVE, it's about the rich getting more rich at the expense of the environment. Surely even an Abbott baa lamb like you can see that.

6. DominorVobis

This guy is soooooo caught up in Abbott speak, EVERYTHING he thinks is good is because of the Libs and everything else is wrong therefore it must be Labor. Oh to be so blind as him, life must be so easy not having to have a single thought of his own.

7. axialturban

Oh well, you should be thanking the Libs and Abbott then for reducing its size so dramatically. A balance is needed between not touching the planet and making jobs and taxes and coal is a huge part of our nation. I dont think we could just stop, else the nation might be in the dunny faster then electing an ALP government.

8. axialturban

Get over your personal agenda for me, it makes you look desperate. I understand your anti-Lib because you were conned when you were young, but that is no reason to support left propoganda that is spread around by the media and unions like monkey excrement - because its nearly always wrong. Stand up for the truth and be your own man instead of always someones 'con'.

- - - Updated - - -

Troll much? The OP was very heavily focused on blaming the Libs for the project, and you jumped on board about how you were going to protest against them. I just pointed out the facts about the port project and in fact it was the ALP who were going to do it much worse - so anger at the Lib's should be proportionate to anger to the ALP for what they wanted to do - else its hypocrisy. All your arguments with me are personal because your politikfu is weak.

9. m2catter

The media landscape in Australia is mainly owned/dictated by the Murdoch group, just in case you wouldn't know.
    So please do us all the favour and post some true facts, and not that garbage...
    Regards

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

It's just a bad decision, Liberals had the chance to change the decision, the minister has all the power, but they didn't. It's just the cheapest solution for the coal industry. They could just use shallower vessels to transport the cargo out to the larger ships and not do any dredging at all, or they could dump the dredging material onshore where it's far easier to deal with the environmental fallout instead of dumping it into the world heritage reef that is already under pressure with largely unknown, but definitely not positive, consequences.

11. axialturban

Which bit is garbage, and why?

12. m2catter

Well,
    as the majority of our press//media belongs to the Murdoch group, there will always be more anti Labor comments/themes/subjects and so on.
    To take your quote that it is the other way around just shows, that you can't be taken serious....
    Anyway, best regards

13. axialturban

Lol what!? You said my quote and information was garbage so I invited you to point out which bits you meant.

You did in the OP call the Libs/Abbott the "fricking loser", "monster party" and " lunatic" and rallied people to fight them because they wanted to put a coal port at that location near the Reef..... so now I've indicated the ALP actually were about to do one 12 times larger at the same spot, do you feel much more angry at the ALP?
    Or is that reserved for when information seems to agree with your political view, in which case wouldn't that be disingenuous and make you a hypocrite!?

I'm curious, and they are simple enough questions which are valid given you've not provided any additional information which overrides mine. I'm open to learn new info but perhaps your just speaking out of your bobbrown!!?

Either the ALP was going to have it 12 times larger and no-one in the political left complained (unsure about the Green's but they were part of that ALP government), but now the political left cry like babies that its the end of the world and the Liberals are vandalizing the Reef because they REDUCE the size of the port to REDUCE the impact on the Reef. It just makes the left look absolutely insane and out of control.

Here's the quote again, please provide corrected info if its wrong;
    "Under Labor, there were at least 12 port and dredging projects approved or considered for Abbot Point and the Port of Gladstone alone, with more than 93 million cubic metres of dredging proposed or approved.
    The Abbot Point approvals by the Coalition Government will permit a total of 3 million cubic metres of dredging – less than a twelfth of what was proposed under Labor.
    "

14. m2catter

The problem with you is that you worship the Libs and Nationals so much, that whatever you come up with almost make me sick. You do have racist tendencies, and sorry to say, there is a line for everyone....

To me Labor is the lesser disaster, but as guilty with this harbour project as those which now have given the thumbs up.....

However I would vote for the Greens, as their values and concepts are much more in line with mine then the other parties.

One day all those dreadful decisions will haunt us, that's for sure. Once the Reef is fukked, all those coming and visiting and spending their money from overseas will stay away, which will make the coal sales look like $1 shops in respect.
    Coal is out, mega out, but some can't see the sign of times.
    Regards

15. DominorVobis

You think so, just because EVERY post he makes is parroting the Liberals nearly verbatim means nothing. Just because EVERYONE who disagrees with him or his beloved Liberal Coalition is a lefty, an ALP or Green's puppet. Just because every comment is extremely fascist, just because most of it makes no sense what so ever, after all it's ALL SOMEONE ELSE's fault. He says he looks at each topic for what it is and makes his own decisions, which we should believe, even though he does not believe us. After all he is a Liberal supporter, he MUST BE RIGHT.

16. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

What proposals come before the government are pretty much irrelevant, it's the ones they approve that matter. ALP just kept delaying a decision, much to their discredit. Hunt has to make one now. Still hoping that he will have the balls to come up with a different solution. From what I've heard the coal industry does have some flexibility, I'm sure they don't want to undertake a project that will be endlessly delayed by protests and court action, etc, if there is another option. I really don't see how everyone can't just sit around a table and come up with a plan that they can all tolerate. Surely it's not that hard.

17. axialturban

I see you cannot defend your point so you decide to get personal. Show my the evidence of racist tendencies or I'll report you.

18. axialturban

Trying to be a bully are you, repeating personal attacks because I disagree with you and supporting anyone who disagrees with me!? LOL, you playing the coward now Dom?

I adjusted what you wrote and it sounds exactly like you!!!

How about that DominorVobis, EVERY post he makes is parroting the ALP nearly verbatim means nothing. Just because EVERYONE who disagrees with him or his beloved ALP is a righty, a Lib or Murdoch' puppet. Just because every comment is extremely fascist, just because most of it makes no sense what so ever, after all it's ALL SOMEONE ELSE's fault. He says he looks at each topic for what it is and makes his own decisions, which we should believe, even though he does not believe us. After all he is a ALP supporter, he MUST BE RIGHT.

Gets lame quick when all people have as an argument is admitting they are too stupid to understand or have nothing to counter, an argument. No wonder you guys on the left are getting personal. An eye for an eye and eventually everyone will go blind. If you cannot win an argument, admit defeat like a man - dont cry like babies with their fingers stuck up their noses.
    :thumbsup:

19. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Of course they cannot defend their point. You hit the nail on the head when you stated, "Or is that reserved for when information seems to agree with your political view". That of course hit a note because it is exactly what is done...

I would not be upset by the racist taunt as has been demonstrated on many occasions the people making and supporting them are the great pretender racists themselves. That is to say they bleat about racism in effort to offset their own racist intent often overcompensating for it.

Clearly these people are far more ignorant than those they attempt to bully into submission with their overcompensating racist pretence...

20. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Bleaching kills a third of Great Barrier Reef coral...
    :omg:
    Mass coral bleaching destroys at least a third of Great Barrier Reef
    Tuesday 31st May, 2016 - Mass coral bleaching has destroyed at least 35 per cent of the northern and central Great Barrier Reef, Australian scientists said on Monday, a major blow to the World Heritage Site that attracts about $5-billion Australian ($3.59-billion U.S.) in tourism each year.

21. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

22. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - it's the end times...
    [​IMG]
    Scientists Issue Climate Change Alert for Australia's Great Barrier Reef
    March 18, 2017 — New research warns that Australia’s Great Barrier Reef can be saved only if urgent steps are taken to tackle climate change. The study, published in the journal Nature, says parts of the world’s largest coral system will never fully recover from repeated bleaching, caused by spikes in the water temperature.

23. m2catter

Waltky,
    who cares?
    Certainly not our Federal Government, coal coal coal, that is our future and the death of the reef.
    And voting for Labor doesn't change much.
    The Greens are my only hope, despite the fact that they still are a developing party....
    Have a great Sunday,
    cheers

24. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

The bleaching is more a direct result from sustained high sea temperatures in the region. The Coral sea has not seen much cooling since Cyclone Yasi in 2011. Since then the North of Queensland has seen one of the worst droughts in living memory, and the Wet tropics up until recently have seen a reduction in average rainfall.

With all due respect Cats, I am not sure the Greens can do much about the Bleaching, it is nature to a point. As most on here know I am not a mining fan, but in all fairness the bleaching is not necessarily caused by man. If some scientists are pushing that agenda then they need to be mindful of their position and responsibility to the public.

25. m2catter

sf,
    with rising global temperatures, you don't think it has an affect on the water temperature as well?
    Our waters here tend to loose 2 degrees during winter, and gain up to 4 degrees during summer, depending on water depth.
    We are responsible I believe....
    Cheers