Attacking a Police Officer

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Crawdadr, Aug 28, 2014.

?

If a Person attacks police officer will they get shot?

1. Yes

60.6%
  2. No

3.0%
  3. Other

36.4%
  1. Crawdadr

Crawdadr Well-Known Member

If a person attacks a police officer are they most likely too be shot?

After answering the poll please tell us if the police are justified in that situation or not and why.

2. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Political Forum DJ

It really all depends on the situation which has too many variables to be a simple yes or no question.

3. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

You can't expect any decent results based on that very vague question.

Does the attacker have a weapon?
    Does the cop have nerves of steel?
    Is it a screaming woman or 300 pound man on PCP?

You have to remember... there are people in these forums who whine they are being "attacked" when someone dares to correct their stupidity.
    It's a very subjective ideal.

Shooting them would be another poll I guess....but I know my vote.

4. Crawdadr

My problem was that I did not want to influence the poll. So it is more of an "in most cases" situation. But I agree there are always situations either way.

5. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

unless it's a 5 yr old having a temper tantrum, then yes the officer would be justified if he felt his life was at risk

6. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

I voted yes, but I think your question should ask "should" the person be shot, not "would" he be shot.

Who knows if he would.

But he should.

I posted a link in another thread about a full service, open casket church funeral for a K-9 officer who was attacked and stabbed. The cop handler shot and killed the stabber. Rightfully so. The stabber was attacking a 4-legged officer of the law. The dog was a fully recognized officer of the law and was being attacked. The stabber is dead for it. And good riddance.

Rest in Peace, Kye!

7. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

I think you did a good job, basically you are saying,, Can there be fatal consequences should you attack a Cop? Sure shooting is just one, but most people are aware they are risking getting shot.

That's really the point right?

If you attack a Police officer are most people aware deadly force can be used against them? I cant imagine anybody saying,,''I didn't know that''

8. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck Member

It's called "suicide by cop"

9. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

You might get shot but the odds are you wouldn't get shot. It really depends. I had a man as big, or a bit bigger, than the "Gentle Giant" in Ferguson. It was a family fight. We had known each other for years. He said, "I'm so mad I have to hit somebody. What will happen if I hit you?" "It's a hypothetical question, Darnell, because as big as you are you could kill me hitting me. So, you come for me, I shoot you dead." "You would, wouldn't you?" "Yep." He laughed and didn't come to hit me. Would I have shot him? Yep? A couple of years later he was shot in the head twice in Las Vegas. The car he was in had gallons of gas poured in and lit. Darnell was never meant to have a long and happy life.

On the other hand, another police officer and I arrested a woman for attacking another woman at a wedding dance. The woman big the other officer and drew blood and kicked him hard enough in the balls to get his attention. As she kicked him she said, "I'm going to hang your balls on your ears, dickhead." She didn't get shot.

I had occasion to take some guns away from people without shooting them.

No, I'm sorry to say but real life doesn't fit the political rhetoric of the left.

10. rangecontraction

rangecontraction New Member

The police are the law and should reserve the right to shoot and kill all thugs who attack them.

God bless Darren Wilson.

11. Imnotreallyhere

Imnotreallyhere Well-Known Member Donor

I voted 'yes' in the poll. I live near Chicago. Chicago cops are still Daley cops.

Being a cop is a hazardous, sometimes violent profession. A cop should be entitled to protect himself in his work as much as an ordinary citizen is entitled to protect him- or herself.

IMO the true question is about the threat: was it real and what was the level of damage possible?

12. Imnotreallyhere

The police are not in fact the law, nor are they above it.. They are simply the first step in the legal process.

That said, I believe they should have the right to protect themselves. Their job includes protecting others.

I don't think we'll ever be sure of the facts surrounding the Brown shooting; in the absence of such surety, Wilson must be set free.

13. Crawdadr

Exactly I assume and I have told my children this that if you attack a policeman you will most likely get shot. Kind of like I tell them if they cross the street without looking they will get run over. Will they get run over or shot? Maybe, but I want them to understand the risk and act accordingly.

14. rangecontraction

rangecontraction New Member

And God bless him.

15. Imnotreallyhere

I refuse to call a blessing on a man for shooting another, justified or not.

16. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

What if the police attacks the suspect first which is what happens a lot.

If I am not resisting and the police has me down and is kicking me do I have the right to try and fight back?

17. flounder

I think it's a shame some expect Cops to take just about anything, if it was them would they? A Cop has to make such fast calls in deadly situations to themselves, are they supposed to chance it? If a person has the nerve, the audacity to actually attack a Cop, then he has the audacity to kill him. That Cop better shoot, in my opinion.

18. flounder

I guess in theory you do, but I would just lay there myself. I do not know how you could come out ahead unless there were cameras.

19. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Inspired by your signature:

function bool do_i_shoot () {
    if(is_attacking == true) {
    return true;
    }
    else if (is_mentally_ill == true) {
    return true;
    }
    else if (hallucinating == true) {
    return true;
    }
    else {
    return true;
    }
    return false;
    }

20. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Political Forum DJ

A little JavaScript action FTW!

21. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

I tend to say "Yes".

This is a very sensitive matter in Italy, since it has happened, in Italy, during demonstrations that attacked policemen have opened fire [also killing civilians]. Similar events have started incredible complaints and protests, but let's think to a real case.

During the riots in Genoa, in occasion of a G8 meeting, the protesters isolated a vehicles of the Army of Carabinieri. They were violent [the protesters] and they were attacking the vehicle. One of the officers saw a guy handling a fire extinguisher with the evident intention to throw it against the glasses of the vehicle. The officer opened fire and the protester died [with a bullet in his brain].

Some officers on a common vehicles isolated among hundreds of violent and aggressive protesters ... I don't see which alternative they had, but to open fire.

If I walk along the street and I attack a policemen ... I will go to jail soon. If I do this during a protest or a demonstration ... should I deserve a civil medal ????

22. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is no yes/no answer to this question as posed.

Every citizen, cop or not, has the right to defend himself using whatever means is available to them. Posing some scenarios will get you more meaningful answers.

23. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

The poll talk about attacking ... it sounds as an active action, an aggressive behavior, it's not about defending yourself from a violent policeman ... at least this is my impression.

24. flounder

Here at PF we call it,,,, ''Suicide by Mod''.......LOL

25. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

badly posed question. you don;t ask "attack with what?? gun, knife, pipe, fist, car, acid.... what? " Your question has the flavor of baiting... not sure from what direction though.