NRA: 'Children Can Have Fun At The Shooting Range'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

NRA: 'Children Can Have Fun At The Shooting Range'

by Christina Wilkie | Huffington Post | Posted: 08/27/2014 7:00 pm EDT
    Excerpts:

WASHINGTON - "Less than two days after a 9-year-old girl in Arizona accidentally shot and killed a gun range instructor who was showing her how to fire an Uzi, the National Rifle Association on Wednesday touted new ways for children to "have fun" at shooting ranges.

The nation's largest gun lobby posted a tweet Wednesday afternoon to its NRA Women account that read "7 Ways Children Can Have Fun at the Shooting Range." The tweet included a link to an article with the same title published on the website of Women's Outdoor News. A little over an hour after posting it, NRA Women deleted the tweet without explanation.

The story linked in the tweet lists a number of new and colorful targets that it says will engage young shooters who have grown bored with the standard bull's-eye. In describing a pack of zombie targets, the author, Mia Anstine, writes that children "can imagine they're getting rid of the monsters from their nightmares by shooting at zombie targets."

But a nightmare is precisely what unfolded on Monday, when 39-year-old Charles Vacca, a range instructor at Bullets and Burgers in northwest Arizona, stood over a 9-year-old girl holding an Uzi. The Israeli-made submachine gun can fire almost 30 rounds per second, according to the manufacturer. Police say the child lost control of the machine gun, and Vacca was shot in the head. He died later that day in a hospital.

The Arizona shooting has prompted a heated national debate over what guns are safe for use by minors, even under supervision. Experts agree that an Uzi was the wrong choice for a 9-year-old girl.

The timing of the NRA's tweet appears to be linked to this debate. Anstine's column about children's shooting targets was posted on August 20, almost a week before the Arizona shooting. Why the NRA would decide to push out this column to the more than 7,000 followers of its "NRA Women" account is unclear. The NRA did not immediately respond to a request for comment".

read:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/27/nra-children-gun-range_n_5725674.html

IMO: The NRA's macabre new piece entitled "7 Ways Children Can have Fun at the Shooting Range" which was tweeted by them just 2 days after a shooting range instructor was showing a 9 year old how to shoot an Uzi. She lost control, shot and killed the shooting range instructor with the Israeli made Uzi submachine gun that can shoot over 30 rounds per second.

The NRA tweet's message was that children who are bored with the bulls-eye method can 'imagine they are killing monsters from their nightmares with a 30 round Uzi submachine gun.'

What would be an earthly acceptable excuse for a 9-year-old to be handling a submachine gun in the first place? A 9-year-old should be active in volley-ball, softball, and sports that are not liable to kill their instructors. I believe that the parents should be made legally responsible for the trauma visited upon their child by use of a deadly weapon when they are clearly too young to be responsible for handling such a weapon.

I guess is that a 9-year-old is never too young for indoctrination into the NRA though, but this little girl will have many more monsters in her nightmares to contend with as she continues on with her Uzi carrying life at the instruction of her parents.

When will gun-toting American families ever learn to keep the whole gun carrying concept away from impressionable children. Who's fault is it that a 9-year-old has already killed another human being because of the warped negligence of her parents?

2. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

Ya know, this isn't a trend. It's an isolated incident. Alarmism here isn't called for. Ya think? That said, I don't see the need to be training 9 year old children with automatic weapons. But that's just me ( and maybe the poster of this thread). I don't carry an UZI. I don't feel the need to (so far). I don't belong to the NRA and I doubt that I subscribe to their philosophy regarding automatic weapons. But still, this was an accident. It goes along with the 10 year old that killed himself and his Dad and the driver of another car when he plowed into that car while his Dad was teaching him to drive on a public road. Same question, 'why does a 10 year old need to know how to drive?'

3. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes, in fact, I'm taking my 15 year old son to the shooting range after lunch today for practice with a 9mm.

4. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Children definitely can have fun at the shooting range. I know I did when I was a kid. You probably would have too if your parents ever took you.

5. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Please tell me what the NRA's philosophy is towards automatic weapons?

6. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

That was a fluke event which was the result of some poorly thought out instructor. It's extremely rare and more children die from pools, cars, playing with matches, ropes, plastic bags, etc... each year.

Here's my son @ age 7 with a single action, scoped .22. That is an appropriate gun for a 7 year old.

[​IMG]

Here he is at age 9 with a single action .22 revolver.

[​IMG]

To hand a 9 year old girl with no shooting experience a fully auto 9mm Uzi and then to stand to the left of her instead of behind her is not smart. The instructor made a fatal error. It was an extremely rare event, and anyone judging kids with firearms on that event. Is like judging a park uninhabitable because a person was once struck by lightening at it.

The leap of logic is too great for intelligent people.

Here's another 9 year old girl with a gun.

[video=youtube;wvbkCif-Ixs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbkCif-Ixs[/video]

Should I take my son's skateboard because a kid died on one last week across the nation?

7. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

It is much more than a trend...guns are killing people every day in America...it is more like an epidemic among so-called religious people that considers each life important. You can try to rationalize away the training of a 9-year-old girl to effectively handle a 30 round submachine gun, but eventually you have to come back to some pretty warped parents that won't allow their children to have a normal childhood.

This goes far beyond a nine-year-old fatally shooting an instructor, it is a matter of Big Bucks in the indoctrination by the NRA of lethal force in America, and the programming of this is evident in the programming that led to the entrance of a mother and child to get that training! What kind of twisted thinking would parents have that would ever justify training a person to shoot at bull's-eyes first, then chase their nightmares away with serious training on "how to imagine they are killing their monsters in nightmares" to perhaps being trained to serve in some kind of 'children's militia' to fight our National Guard. Those children pictured on the firing ranges did not appear smiling, happy, or confident...they appeared like zombies.

Guns are not our friends...guns hurt people...guns are not for use by children...negligent, paranoid parents should be fined for each "accident" that happens when their children cause pain or fatalities through their 'playing' with firearms.

8. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

The NRA is not about 9 year olds with automatics. You are making crap up.

Pools are not our friends...Pools hurt people...Pools are not for use by children...negligent, paranoid parents should be fined for each "accident" that happens when their children cause pain or fatalities through their 'playing' in Pools .

Cars are not our friends...Cars hurt people...Cars are not for use by children...negligent, paranoid parents should be fined for each "accident" that happens when their children cause pain or fatalities through their 'playing' in streets with cars.

9. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Please stop trying to take away the ability for a woman to protect herself from large male rapist.

10. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

8 children die from gunshot woulds every day in America.

11. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

The place for a 9-year-old child is definitely not a shooting range, but a place where insecure parents can hang out training their kids to be future killers if someone aggravates them. Children should be allowed to experience their own childhood without being trained in the use of a 30 round submachinegun, Israeli made, Uzi.

Thanks to the NRA we have progressed from people using guns for "hunting"...to "protection"...to 9 year-olds being trained to shoot a gun that shoots 30 rounds of bullets in 2 seconds..it is terribly twisted thinking on the part of the parents, dangerous for instructors, and dangerous for neighbors' kids after they bring that Uzi home from the shooting range. That is when the kid is 9 years old...wait until she grows up and her Dad says she cannot date at age 14, or her Mom says she cannot pluck her eyebrows. I can see the statistics from my house!

12. Brewskier

Gun deaths are way down from where they were 20 years ago, all while the number of guns in society has increased. That's a problem for your narrative.

If you really want to do something about people being killed by guns, tell your HuffPo masters to start talking about inner city crime between black and Hispanic minorities.

But we know you won't do that.

13. Athelite

Athelite Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sex is more fun than any shooting. That's what you should teach your young kids to do instead of shooting.

And accidents don't result in death, only life.

14. Brewskier

The NRA didn't cause a transition from "hunting" to "protection". Guns were used for protection since the very beginning of American society. The Constitution's protection of gun ownership was not built on hunting.

15. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

I totally agree and I am fine with people who choose to have their kids go there and do this, having the freedom to do so, as long as they don't fkkking whine like bychhes if one of them dies! I support your right, freedom and liberty to do this, and I don't care what happens to your kids, that's your problem.

16. Brewskier

So you're advocating for parents to "teach young kids" to have sex?

Nice endorsement of pedophilia there, guy.

17. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, I have to disagree with OP. While the timing for this is pretty stupid on the NRA's part, the idea within is sound. With proper supervision, I would much rather kids learn about safe gun handling and proper usage, rather then just buying a gun with minimal knowledge of safety.

I was going to gun-clubs and shooting ranges since I was a kid, as both my Dad and Grandpa were/are trap shooters (Grandpa still travels around for tournaments).

I say more education means less gun accidents (though no amount of education can save the stupid....)

18. Brewskier

Usually in the hood. Though you never speak about that.

19. Libertarianforlife

Libertarianforlife Well-Known Member

More kids die in car crashes every day. Ban all cars!

20. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

I'm all for their parents excercizing their 2nd Ammendment rights, that's more important than the lives of THEIR children (but not mine), so I'm good with that. FREEDOM & LIBERTY baby! Collateral damage for the greater good!

21. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Pools have lifeguards and parents ther to guard against accidents, children driving cars are disobeying laws made to safeguard people's lives. The thing that hurts people most, are parents that are so paranoid and brainwashed by a profit making organization that they will train their own children to give up normal happy childhood to become proficient is some lala-land of subversion that would take place when the NRA alarm has sounded.

In the meantime they will take your kids, train them, and send them off to play with MY kids? Hell NO!!

22. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

Kids die constantly in pools, on beaches, falling off their bikes, ect. They're NOT getting killed at shooting ranges daily or will some of the ignorant liberals here care to LIE about that too? Lets BAN those activities that truly are the most dangerous, shall we? Nah, that would be about as stupid.

23. Louisiana75

Louisiana75 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am a 39 y/o woman who knows how to handle a firearm and possess a conceal carry permit. With that said, I'm usually packing whether in my purse or my car. I'm far less likely to be a victim of a rape or other attacks since I am trained to defend myself. It's important to begin this training at a young age, in which parents can determine with each individual child. The majority of people teaching their children on how to handle a firearm and firearm safety are not using uzi's. This was a very isolated incident as gun ranges are safe in general. I can use common sense and know what my sons can handle. They are also well trained in safety. There is nothing wrong with this and they will carry these lessons with them in life so like me, they will be far less likely to be victims of certain crimes.

24. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

,,,and would you say that you have been successfully indoctrinated by the NRA? Are you a dues paying NRA'er, or do you send them money for anything? Do you receive anything from them in return?

25. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Negligent, paranoid parents don't teach their kids gun safety and; thereby, insure an 'accident' will happen.