Question about jury selection

Discussion in 'Law & Justice' started by Moriah, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

Last week I was called for jury duty. I wasn't chosen for the jury, but I had to sit thru several hours of watching how they select the people who will be jurors. The defendant was in court with his lawyers. The district attorney's office was represented also. The thing that struck me about this process is this: They ask the prospective jurors lots of personal questions right in front of the defendant. Questions like: Where do you work? What part of town do you live in? How long have you lived in this town? Where does your spouse work? I'm thinking "What if this guy is found guilty, serves his time and then comes looking for the people who put him away?" All he'd have to do is remember their faces. He'll already know where they work and live. I think the defendant should be kept OUT of the courtroom when the jury is being selected. Just to be on the safe side. Does anyone agree with me?:confusion:

2. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Considering Ive never heard of this happening, I think its rather far fetched. Lots of other people are more involved with a defendant's incarnation including the arresting cop, prosecuting atty and judge. Jury members would be way down on get - even list IMO.

Last time I served it was a hung jury because we had one ignorant woman on the panel who thought she was in an episode of CSI. Kept saying, "I need more info." Dumbass caused a mistrial. After it was over, the defendant came up to me in the hall and thanked me. I refused to shake his hand when he offered it because, IMO, he was guilty as hell.

Got another summons for Sept 17. Ugh, can't wait.

3. Moriah

Moriah Well-Known Member

You have some good points, Smartmouthwoamn. I guess I'm just kinda paranoid about some things. I hope I am never picked for a jury. I know someone has to do it, I just don't want it to be me. Good luck on Sept 17th.

4. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Thx, Moriah. Thing is... the great majority of cases are about boring things like DWIs (not that DWIs are unimportant, but drunk is drunk... and you'd be amazed at what they try to get out of one). I even had to sit on a jury for dog court once. You'll prob never be called to sit on a murder trial or anything like that. So you shouldn't hope to avoid sitting on a jury. It can be a very interesting experience... even entertaining sometimes! And it's nice to feel you've done your civic duty. Just think, if everybody avoided it, our judicial system would be in big trouble! ;)

5. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would have thought the identity of jurors and the details of the selection process would be (and need to be) part of the public record of the case anyway, all part of "justice being seen to be done".

Even without that, I don't think it would be possible to keep the identity of the jurors from the defendant (and anyone associated with them). There are obviously occasional cases of jury intimidation during or after a trial but I don't think they're all that common, especially in day-to-day courts which, as has already been mentioned, usually involve lots of very mundane cases.

In particular cases, say major gang members or organised crime bosses, I'm sure special consideration is given to the safety of everyone involved but even then keeping the identities of the jurors secret isn't likely to be viable.

6. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Maybe things are done differently county per county and based on the severity of the crime. I don't recall the defendant being in for jury selection, just the lawyers, but that may vary. Maybe the defendant has the right to sit in and my option out, trusting the lawyer to handle it.