Negligence and Human Cruelty

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Gwendoline, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Gwendoline

Gwendoline Well-Known Member

An asylum seeker left brain dead after not being treated for septicaemia after cutting his foot at Manus Island.

He remains on life support. His name is Hamid Kehazaei. He is 24-years-old. He had sought medical attention but was denied for days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...azaei-brain-dead-in-brisbane-hospital/5716292
    http://www.news.com.au/national/ira...risbane-hospital/story-fncynjr2-1227046427230

Disgraceful government. Not only can't the government 'afford' a full-time psychiatrist on Manus Island, they can't have a frickin' doctor in place to treat the sick and injured. On the governments head, this one. Disgraceful.

2. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

I agree this should not have happened, but shouldn't your outrage be directed to the hundreds of homeless Australians that die through lack of medical care every year, than one refugee who pays a people smuggler $10,000 to smuggle them into our country illegally? Does your compassion and empathy only apply to refugees, and not to Australia's homeless people, who seem to be suffering in worse circumstances than the refugees you have empathy and compassion for?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-02/alarm-at-high-death-rate-among-darwin27s-homeless/3926842

You might like to spare some of your compassion for the 17845 homeless Australian under 12 year olds that were estimated homeless, and 402 sleeping on the streets in 2011. I don't these kids would mind some of your compassion and some of the tens of $billions being spend supporting and protecting your precious refugees.

http://www.homelessnessaustralia.or...ons/Fact_Sheets/Homelessness_and_Children.pdf

3. Gwendoline

I have compassion for both. My heart is big enough that it can stretch for both the homeless and asylum seekers.

The difference in this very particular case is that a homeless person can walk into a hospital and be treated for septicaemia. An asylum seeker on Manus Island who is ill cannot walk to the hospital to get medical attention and when it asks the Manus Island staff for medical attention it gets none. They are being kept prisoners and not afforded very basic human rights. This is NOT the Australian way to treat people with such indignity and lack of respect.

I don't have selective compassion. I have it for all who are marginalised and treated with indignity and for all those who fall through the cracks.

Asylum seekers is an issue on its own. The same as homelessness is an issue of its own. That you want to negate one and hold the other as more important or the only one that is important shows that you practice 'selective' compassion. And that's fine but don't mix these two and negate one for the other. Just admit you have disdain for asylum seekers and leave it at that.

4. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

The Abbott government has to go, not even human rights are on their carte.
    Its a shame for Australia, as we deny basic treatment to those in need.
    regards

5. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

The ALP set these ones up, but I agree if there are problems they should be fixed. Gosh knows everything else the ALP setup had lots of problems.

6. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

This from a government who sells their point about their compassion for human life by turning boats around filled with desperate people because of their concern for deaths at sea. They don't give a damnnn, as long as there are political points to be scored at the expense of human life they will continue to show disdain for human life and ones we are seemingly disconnected from.

7. axialturban

When safe to do so, and those desperate people are no where near as desperate as those real refugee's who can not afford thousands of dollars to pay smugglers to move through various nations in an effort to economic migrate.

Indeed, the ALP policy killed over a thousand that way didn't they?

Keep telling yourself that, over and over, sooner or later you'll have brainwashed yourself to avoid the difficult process of conscious thought and instead rely on your hatred to lead you. Actually, the ALP should make that an entry requirement (if they already don't)!!!

8. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's illogical and contradictory to suggest that rich asylum seekers make the dangerous trek for economic asylum. Again man, there is no originality with your comments, it's a weird case of parroting loose comments, which you tend to do on all issues. It's a typical trait from extreme right wing proponents.

Returning boats is killing more people!

9. culldav

If anyone is being selective in this issue with an obvious agenda to push, I believe it is you. I provided a specific link for you that stated in an eithteen month period, 80 Australians died in Darwin alone from sleeping rough (homelessness) 80 Australians died through neglect, and you don't raise your flags of concern, but 1 refugee dies, and you raise your flag in outrage and disgust.

Tell me Gwendoline, how many refugees have died in Australia due to being homeless?

Tell me Gwendoline, how many refugee children are homeless and sleep on the streets every night?

I believe your crusade for the welfare of refugees verses the welfare for homeless Australians is completely unjustified and unpatriotic.

No one is suggesting that anyone should be left without medical care and treatment, but did you see any headlines in the media when one of these 80 homeless Australia's in Darwin died?

Probably 30 words on page 10 of a neswpaper - just before the stock-market section, but for a refugee who pays $10,000 to be smuggled into Australia through the backdoor illegally - he is front page news. :roflol:

10. Gwendoline

I even suggested you leave it at that, but no.

Tell me, culldav, have you ever started a thread about the homeless in Australia? If not, why not? Start one and I will contribute to it. In the meantime, stop derailing the thread.

I repeat:

Asylum seekers is an issue on its own. The same as homelessness is an issue of its own. That you want to negate one and hold the other as more important or the only one that is important shows that you practice 'selective' compassion. And that's fine but don't mix these two and negate one for the other. Just admit you have disdain for asylum seekers and leave it at that.

11. axialturban

No its not illogical or contradictory. It could be if they were rich by our standards, but it's pretty obvious the quality of life, stable government/society and economic environment here is much higher then most everywhere else in the world and I doubt boat people are rich by our standards, else they might buy a boat and skipper for a personal attempt at entry. I think your reaching against my argument, again seemingly like most left orientated posters, you cannot accept anything anti-left or pro-right. It goes against the ALP supporters militancy gene. The point is the real vulnerable refugee's are the poor ones who cannot afford to travel half way around the world breaking immigration laws to try and 'arrive' here. It's also common knowledge they are being told by refugee advoates and people smugglers to turn up with no money or papers, so to better their chances of being classified as refugees. If you think its a good idea to promote such a security vulnerability then your crackers - the real refugees are the one's who barely make it out with their lives to a refugee camp, where they wait for placement in foreign nations - not the scum who break the law sneaking around paying criminals to get them in the back door.

It's funny you left folk complain about the truth being repeated, and even call it not original. If people want to post inane BS to rile up anti-Liberal posting then its perfectly valid to expect truthful counterarguments to be presented. This is not an ALP forum...... though perhaps that what some of you are used to.

12. Gwendoline

The scum you refer to are donating their son, Hamid Kehazaei's organs to Australians after he is dead from Australia's negligence and human cruelty.

Scum? Blow it out your ear. This family has more decency and compassion than the whole of the government put together.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...be-donated-20140904-10cfzh.html#ixzz3CQYBmF9b

13. axialturban

Well.... its not like he is using them anymore.

14. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Now you have run about announcing about how it is all from the negligence of Australia this person died....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...azaei-brain-dead-in-brisbane-hospital/5716292
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...eis-organs-to-be-donated-20140904-10cfzh.html

Now I could get many more articles that clearly show that these people laying claims about this issue have really no idea what happened. They are just jumping in with their opinion based upon limited information and rumours. So the question has to be, IS Australia negligent in this??? That is your claim perhaps you could supply some evidence of such??? Or are we just going to hear the political scoring of detractors without the truth of the situation...

15. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

I suppose there'll be a coronial inquiry? The causes - proximate and distal - will have to be identified and culpability - if any - should be attached to those who deserve it. This is a death in custody and in Australia we investigate those and deal with anyone who is culpable. The coronial inquiry and inquest should be very interesting.

16. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Again only if it is truthful and provide decent safeguards to try and stop this type of thing happening again.

17. Gwendoline

In spite of Morrison's assertion that:

UNCR who inspected Manus Island don't see 'outstanding', but something closer to 'appalling':

Hey, Scott Morrison, how 'outstanding' is this? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Morrison is blatantly lying and being 'negligent' in his claim that asylum seekers in detention receive 'outstanding' care. He could have said 'adequate' care which still would have been a lie, but the breathtaking dishonesty and bald-faced lying and exaggeration to call it 'outstanding' care beggars belief. Welcome to Australia, where it's OK for politicians to tell humongous lies to try and cover their arses at the expense of someone tragically losing their life while under Australia's 'outstanding' care.

http://www.kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au...u.au/files/offshore_processing-conditions.pdf

18. Gwendoline

Hey, Scott Morrison, here's some more of your 'outstanding' care handiwork:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/09/04...us-with-doctors-swamped/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

19. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

A reasonable point - and one would think a Coronial inquest would be truthful and avoid cheap and shoddy politics. I would think that such an inquiry would stay right away from the politics or morality of the situation, accept that the establishment of the centre is within the law and focus on what went wrong, why it went wrong and recommendations for how to to it properly. That's the useful thing about coronial inquiry, it's not about procedural truth like a criminal trial, it's about actual truth and finding out what happened and how to prevent it happening again.

20. Gwendoline

Solicitor Ruth Hudson has been appointed to act on behalf of Mr Kehazaei's family in Iran:

21. Gwendoline

Two deaths on Manus Island in last six months. One murder, one negligence and human cruelty. It is well documented that the living (if you could call it that!) conditions on Mauns Island are appalling in every respect. You cannot throw people away like this, throw them on an island and neglect them and punish them. The indignity and hardship meted out to these people is tragic.

Australia has gone too far in its treatment of asylum seekers. Too far in its mistreatment and contempt of them. It get worse and worse... and the politicians continue to lie and try to sweep their inhumane deeds away. John Howard started the heavy-handed meanness and craziness towards asylum seekers all those years ago, and successive governments, left (Yes, you Rudd!!) and right, have continued on this dark, dark path. Appalling.

22. culldav

Abbott will close any inquiry down, because he knows his government will be found guilty of neglect in this instance.

23. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

They'll just wait a few years and then release everyone and dismantle most of the detention center.

24. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

Yep, life can be tough. This, and worse, happens to lots of Australians every year, why doesn't that outrage you? This gate crashing economic migrant most probably didn't present in time to get treatment in time to save his life. Happens to Australians too.

25. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

mmmm.... This does raise a few questions. Who is paying for the lawyer?