Scotland - it should not be allowed to secede

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by munter, Sep 7, 2014.

1. munter

munter New Member

Why have a referendum at all?

If I want my local village to secede, there's no way it would be allowed.

The Scots joined the Union many years back and have created the UK

I say, 1. referendum should be scrapped, 2. if it must go ahead then let all residents of UK vote

seems like liberal pandering to me

What's gone wrong with this nation? The rot started with Thatcher and her cronies

2. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

From what I have understood, this eventual secession would follow the model of the Commonwealth, Scotland would keep the Pound as currency unit [so the Central Bank of England would remain the Central Bank also for Scotland] and the Queen would remain Queen of Scotland.

So the possibility exists, it doesn't seem to me it's a matter of being "allowed" by some other authority.

3. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

It's not gonna happen, whatever the surveys may indicate.

Nevertheless, I'd be very worried if I were living in Scotland to think my future rested on the votes of a bunch of spotty school kids, just in case.

I've read with interest what some of them had to say, and their total concern seemed to be freedom from paying university fees and/or freeeeeedom in general.

I sometimes wish it would happen. Some of the comments I've read on various websites make me think it would serve them right, but then I think of the millions of ordinary Scots who didn't want any of this and I know I don't really mean it.

I'll be glad when it's all over. I'm sick and tired of Salmond's horrible face on my TV set and I'm sick and tired of his bluster and lies. I can't believe anyone is taken in by it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what they have now.

The government agreed to accept the result of the referendum.

4. AlpinLuke

That's not "allowing" [it's not Cameron or the Queen who is making a personal favor to the Scottish people], that's agreeing in an institutional procedure.

At political level there is a great difference between "allowing" a process and "sharing" that process.

5. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

To be honest I don't think that this is a democratic referendum this is due to the required percentage of votes.
    And yes it shouldn't have been allowed but at least you can't say that our government isn't generous.

6. Pro-Consul

Pro-Consul Banned

Well considering that the youpoll survey consists of little over a thousand people I'd be leery of using it to predict the outcome.
    In fact I was lambasted for saying that I though it was rubbish.
    And now there are reports of belligerence amongst voters. Bloody scary
    From my experience it is the younger generation that tends to favour the yes vote.
    This is why 16 year olds shouldn't be given the vote because they don't have the experience or the knowledge.

I agree. I'm tired of the Scots blaming us for their problems. They have had an enormous amount of autonomy ever since they joined the UK.

Yes he is difficult to look at.

7. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Indeed and with that system in practicality the end of democracy - so Scotland goes back to being the country she was for hundreds of years longer than part of the UK so that her people may chose how they are governed.

8. DentalFloss

DentalFloss Well-Known Member

At least they're just voting. They could've done what we colonies did.

9. diamond lil

How do you mean?

10. diamond lil

No, they really couldn't.

11. AlpinLuke

If you allow you imply to be superior.
    If you share you imply to be on the same level.

It's a "United Kingdom" ...

If you want my "prediction", this attitude could orientate the Scottish vote towards a NO to the secession. So share ... never allow ...

12. Pardy

Pardy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Will the St. Andrew's Cross be taken out of the UK's flag?

13. munter

munter New Member

2 small nations adrift in Europe (England,Scotland) - who's that going to benefit?

14. AlpinLuke

It's a serious matter, there is a study by the U.K. Flag Institute.

There is also an hypothesis for the case of the victory of the "NO" [Scotland remains in UK].

They could take the occasion to add to the flag the colors of Wales and Northern Ireland [it would become quite modern ... take a look: http://www.blitzquotidiano.it/wp/wp...retagna_nuova_bandiera_uk_flag_institute1.jpg].

In case there will be a victory of the "YES" the Scottish colors will disappear for sure, but the introduction of the colors of Wales and Northern Ireland could be anyway considered. It would like the present Union Jack, but with the black instead of the blue.

15. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

I believe it should be allowed to secede. People inhabiting some region should have a right to decide about their governance, not those who dont live there. So if Scottish people want to secede, others should not interfere.

16. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

They haven't removed St Patricks saltire.

17. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

England, Wales, NI the channel Islands, and BOT's with an independent Scotland.

Catalans, Basques and other separatist movements. The conservative party who are almost guaranteed a majority in the next government if the Scots leave (provided the election is postponed) and dominance over the Rump UKs parliament for at least a generation. Anti EU activists who have lost a large broadly pro eu voting block improving their chances of pulling the UK out of the EU.

18. morfeo

morfeo New Member

there is thing called self determination right

19. morfeo

morfeo New Member

thatcher frankly saved uk from a sad decline, if only we could have had a thatcher in italy too.

20. DennyO

DennyO New Member

There are many in Scotland who have mentioned that the Act of Union of 1707 was corrupted by the English buying off the Scottish nobility to concede. There was never any consultation with the Scottish people. Robbie Burns would compare the actions of those nobles to Judas Iscariot, as traitors to their nation.

21. DennyO

DennyO New Member

If Scotland should secede, they will keep the monarchy and membership in the Commonwealth. Don't forget that Scotland and England shared a monarch for over 100 years before the two (three including Ireland) countries joined to form the U.K.

I think this would be fine with the Queen. She already serves as the reigning monarch for other Commonwealth nations, she has a castle there, and the whole family is steeped in Scottish traditions.

22. goober

goober New Member

That would be a very bad deal for the Scots, a country that does not have it's own currency is bad idea.
    You allow other countries to control your money, you give up sovereignty and end up like Spain.

23. AboveAlpha

AboveAlpha Well-Known Member

Scotland should secede????

How the HELL long have I been gone?

When did this happen....besides for the last 900 years?

AboveAlpha

24. AlpinLuke

It seems to be a fashion around the world:

not only the countries of EURO zone have renounced to the national currency, but also the countries of the area called "Western Africa" have got only one central bank, and one currency.

The CFA Franc is used in 14 African countries today.

25. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Was reading this morning that Cameron would lose his job and his back bencher's are fuming that he ever agreed to this Referendum - watch out Scotland it probably is the only chance. According to what I was reading so will Ed Milliband and neither of their parties in the event of a yes result is expected to win thenext election so watch out everyone maybe a UKIP win at next election or at least in a coalition. Hate the way England has moved Politically for the Past 30 years.

Anyway it is a very broad campaign up here. From almost the beginning people decided not to let the Yes vote be a vote for the SNP but instead it is a vote for an Independent Scotland.

Thought I'd put some of the different people working for yes here.

http://nationalcollective.com/

http://wingsoverscotland.com/

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/

http://radicalindependence.org/

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/

http://www.labourforindy.com/tour_of_fife?splash=1

http://www.womenforindependence.org/

and although it is true that Scotland has a long history of support for Labour to the best of my knowledge when Labour has got in, it has always got in regardless of the Scottish vote.

And yes another start difference England wants out of the EU, not Scotland.