Equal Benefits for Veterans and Their Same-Sex Spouses Denied By House GOPers

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by TheChairman, Sep 12, 2014.

1. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

GOP-led House Committee on Veterans Affairs votes down equal benefits for same-sex spouses
    http://randyreport.blogspot.com/2014/09/gop-led-house-committee-on-veterans.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
    The GOP in the U.S. House has effectively denied benefits to veterans who are Gay and Lesbian. That's incredible. But since they have done that, why didn't they also cut off their having to pay their taxes as a trade-off one would just have to wonder?

However, they sure wanted those Gay and Lesbian veterans to go into the military service and place their lives in harm's way fighting for their country didn't they? That they actually demanded but when it comes time to give them what they rightfully deserve it becomes a horse of a different color. Talk about great Unfairness to our honored veterans who deserve far better from Republicans than this.

That can only mean that there is a continuing WAR ON GAYS AND LESBIANS by Republicans. It is an utter Outrage. There is no Equality in the GOP's thinking. It is all lock goose-step thinking. They want to rule over a veteran's life by hook or by crook. And they claim they are the party that believes in less governance. They should go and explain that empty rationale to a Pre-K child who doesn't know any better. All LGBT veterans and their supporters should be outraged by this and answer Republicans back at the voting box in the next elections.

2. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Frustrating, but I don't see this standing. The decision will be reversed as it has greater impact on veterans and the results become more public.

3. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

I hate how much our benefits are tied up in politics. I wish we could just keep TriCare, drop the VA, and have around the board benefits based off rank, time in, and discharge. In stead, families, gender of spouse...etc can mess things up. Both parties have messed with my paychecks over the last 10 years. In 2011 I didn't get paid for 4 MONTHS because the house democrats blocked blocked the Republican bill. I remember my platoon sgt telling us that we may not even function as an Army until the democrats agreed to pay the EOR. 4 months was a long time not to get paid, I was LUCKY I was on title 10 orders and on base. Had I not been I would have thrown a much bigger fuss.
    Anyywaayyyyzzz. Both sides hurt our benefits in one way or another. leave us alone

4. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

Actually, they want to rule over everyone's life by hook or by crook, except, of course the top 10%, corporate sponsors, and the religious right..

5. freemarket

freemarket New Member Past Donor

The politicizing of all issues is an indoctrination tactic used to get people used to the fact that the gov controls every aspect of our lives. If I were gay I would keep it to myself same as I do now. It is no ones business. They are doing the same thing to us and cutting out spouses medical benefits. Older couples are living together now so the gov doesn't take their ss benes. Why is a piece of paper so important. Keep your bedrooms a private issue between you and your partner and tell the government to stick their permission where the sun don't shine.

6. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I can't tell if that sound I hear is the Republicans big tent ripping open or if someone is sewing the entrance shut more and more tightly. Turns out Big Tent is just the name of the place, not a description of it. Kind of like how you'll find some heavyset guys with the nickname "tiny".

7. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

It needs to be equalized. Either the government needs to remove all benefits for marriage for everyone, or they need to stop arbitrarily excluding people. Either is fine by me because the root issue here isn't that the government owes people, it's that the government must treat people fairly and objectively and they are not.

8. dixon76710

dixon76710 Well-Known Member

Actually Republicans did what they could to keep them out of the military.

9. birddog

birddog New Member

Many people are not allowed in the military due to disabilities and abnormalities, and queers should be in those categories. If they slip in, DADT is barely acceptable.

10. freemarket

freemarket New Member Past Donor

I agree. Everyone should be entitled to the same constitutional rights (no more, no less) but beyond that their PURSUIT of happiness is not the governments responsibility and there is a sever price to be paid if you become dependent on them to provide it..

11. TRFjr

TRFjr Well-Known Member Past Donor

gays are what about 2% of the population If that
    Im getting sick and tired of 2% of the population cramming their perversion down our throats wanting to turn the institution of marriage into a perversion so they can feel normal
    guess what no matter what they try to do to feel normal and excepted wont work because it is a perversion of natural and they know it

12. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

First of all, virtually all major medical and scientific organizations have declared that having a same-sex orientation is not perverted or unnatural. But further, Is that why Federal Court after Federal Court is overturning Gay Marriage Bans in literally all of the states where there have been challenges and lawsuits and continue to overturn them (20 to date) because they see it as such a perversion? And many of those judges are Conservative and appointed by Republican presidents. And is that also why the U.S. Supreme Court (Very Conservative) ruled to Legalize Sodomy in all 50 states in Lawrence vs. Texas? How little you know.

But I suppose you and others who think like you see yourselves as the picture of perfection plus -- aborting children (the perversion of human life), divorcing right and left (against God's law to marry for better or for worse, etc.), getting Herpes (unnatural to maintaining good health), etc. You're Wrong! God created everyone EQUAL. If there's any judging to be done for either group, Gay or Straight, it will be done by God. And it's time you get off your high horse thinking you're so high and mighty and understand that well.

13. dixon76710

Care to point to even one such organization determining what is and is not "perverted"?

Perversion is a type of human behavior that deviates from that which is understood to be orthodox or normal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perversion

Orthodoxy (from Greek orthos ("right", "true", "straight") + doxa ("opinion" or "belief", related to dokein, "to think"),[1]) is adherence to accepted norms, more specifically to creeds, especially in religion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodoxy

Normal is also used to describe when someone's behavior conforms to the most common behavior in society (known as conforming to the norm).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_(behavior)

???Pretty much by definition.

14. TRFjr

TRFjr Well-Known Member Past Donor

then you need to explain to me and everyone else what is natures intention of homosexuality? it does nothing for the survival of a species. it does nothing for the advancement of a species. there is none there for it is unnatural a perversion and the truth of the matter if homosexuality is in to great of a number in a species it jeopardizes the survival of a species

15. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

The following, just two of many other sources, refutes your belief that homosexuality is a perversion.

Six Things Straight People Should Stop Saying about Gay People
    http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/six-things-straight-people-should-stop-saying-about-gay-people/

MAINE SUPREME JUDICIAL COURT SITTING AS THE LAW COURT LAW
    DOCKET NO. CUM-06-453
    https://www.apa.org/about/offices/ogc/amicus/ra-ma.pdf

It is important to read the information contained on these two websites for a better understanding of what professional associations and organizations within the medical community and scientific community have to say about this subject matter.

16. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

It most certainly does not. How could it jeopardize the survival of the species? And yes, Gays and Lesbians are born out of Straight, Heterosexual parents, that is a known fact. But another fact IS that homosexuals are in the minority. Some claim them to exist at only about 10% world-wide, others as low as 2% or less. So, how could they, in any way, with such low numbers like that possibly have any effect or threat on the procreation process?

Gay and Lesbian citizens are the offspring of Heterosexual, Straight parents. Let's never lose sight of that FACT.

Their sexual orientation, despite misinformation from the right, is not "chosen." Such people would never willfully choose to be taunted, hated, scorned, ridiculed, bullied, despised, whipped and beaten, and even killed, if they had a choice.

These are ordinary citizens who work, pay their taxes, go to worship in church, have or adopt children as part of their family, and even enter into the military to fight for our country and provide us with freedom so that you can enjoy espousing your prejudice in the way that you do against them. THAT'S what Gays and Lesbians are all about. What they seek is nothing more than Equal Rights to what you and others already have that they too should have under the Fourteenth Amendment.

But to say that they present a threat to society because they cannot reproduce is a Big Fallacy. Of course they can reproduce! Gay men still produce sperm therefore they are fully capable of reproducing if they so choose. Lesbians still produce eggs capable of becoming fertilized so that they can reproduce and many do, either with their Gay friends that they may even marry or through artificial insemination. You have to remember that they are still women with motherly instincts within their sexual orientation.

So, you need to cut your prejudice of these people as you are wrong in continuing to marginalize them and consider them perverts when virtually all professional medical and scientific associations and organizations have found just the opposite to be true.

17. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

The following is IMPORTANT information as it concerns "Ex-Gay" activists, etc. Information that is a MUST to read.

UNMASKING SO-CALLED "EX-GAY" ACTIVISTS
    http://www.glaad.org/resources/unmaskgayactivists

18. dixon76710

19. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

Nonsense. They are being quite pragmatic about this matter and do not succumb to hate, intolerance, and prejudice like some people.

20. dixon76710

Nonsense. Declaring what is and is not a peversion is not pragmatic.

Orthodoxy (from Greek orthos ("right", "true", "straight") + doxa ("opinion" or "belief", related to dokein, "to think"),[1]) is adherence to accepted norms, more specifically to creeds, especially in religion.

21. TheChairman

TheChairman New Member

And so the little men of the world continue to foolishly argue for and try to defend that which is indefensible. Meanwhile, the courts continue to sock it to the bigots of the world thereby helping Gay rights to advance at an incredible rate and most times with the help of Republican president appointed judges. How does that grab your apples? ;)

22. dixon76710

Actually, the European Tribunal of Human rights, the highest court in Europe recently declared there is no human right to gay marriage. The charter of Human rights declares a

“fundamental right of a man and woman to marry and to found a family”

and this the court held

"enshrines the traditional concept of marriage as being between a man and a woman [and] cannot be construed as imposing an obligation on the Contracting States to grant access to marriage to same-sex couples"

23. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Next you will be quoting court cases and proceedings in the middle east and Africa.
    Gotta find somewhere to support your agenda , eh?

Feel free to quote some recent rulings by the US courts (preferably within a reasonable timeframe if you can contain yourself).

24. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

the GOP has truly become a party of angry old white men.... they are on the wrong side of history

25. dixon76710

The chairman is the one who brought in the "world". Probably no binding court in the world whose decisions effect more people than this EU Tribunal. But of course, thats why you need to minimize their decision.