My 2014 CFB Top 10 - Week 4

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NightSwimmer, Sep 21, 2014.

1. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

1. Alabama
    2. Florida State
    3. Oregon
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Auburn
    6. Texas A&M
    7. Baylor
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Ole Miss
    10. UCLA

Also Receiving Consideration:
    Arizona State, BYU, Mississippi State

2. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

curious... how is beating the brakes off a crappy UF team warrant a jump over a top 25 matchup win.....

I love how when GA beats Clemson... its "OMG.... GA SHOULD GO TO DALLAS"
    but when FSU does it... with their BACKUP the entire game.... people be like "FSU didn't win, Clemson lost"

#secbias

also, Oregon pass interfered on that 3rd and 12.... it wasn't even close.... it was so early, that's why they missed it I think. either way, instead of 1st and 10 at the 20, on a potential game tying drive, it's 4th and 12 and SACK.... game over.

Oregon may have won in OT, anyways.... but they are not looking good.

Oklahoma looks good. out of the top 4, that's the team I would least like FSU to face in round 1.

And again.... LSU..... they, to me, epitomize #secbias

They were a 5 loss team last year, still finished in the top 25.... lost 9 good players to the draft, yet, somehow come back preseason HIGHER than they finished the previous year.....

They lost to a 1 player Miss State team.... When are people going to admit... LSU is not the elite team they were back in 05-08 anymore. Yet, they are still in the top 20 now.

They will eventually play bama, and play them close, and lose, and the sec faithful will bust a nut over how strong the SEC is.... but losing to bama close, does not make you a better team than you really are.

3. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

It doesn't. Clemson is a lousy football team. Otherwise, the lowly UGA Dawgs could have never defeated them. Oklahoma looks very impressive to you when they mount a late comeback to escape a loss to a West Virginia team that you considered a little sister of the poor when Alabama defeated them. FSU has not been impressive in any of their games this season, whether their problem child quarterback played or not. LSU had an impressive win over Wisconsin, but their loss to MSU dropped them out of my Top 10 ranking. Of course, if you were an LSU fan, then you'd be arguing that they should still be ranked.That's just how you roll. Oregon's win over Michigan State was impressive, but they dropped due to their poor performance against whatever that little Podunk team was who almost defeated them last Saturday. Washington State Junior College, was it? ;)

As I've said before, this ranking only reflects my own opinion. You're more than welcome to create an alternative list and post it here.

4. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

WVU lacks athletes that Bama and OU have... The game plan is good, it just takes a little more sometimes. you can say FSU hasn't impressed you, but 19 in a row says they are doing something right.

Wisonsin is garbage too.... All I hear from SEC is big x is weak.... (unless the sec beats them, then they are a good team) Goes back to the "when GA beats Clemson ..... HUGE QUALITY WIN..... if FSU does it .... meh.

Bama has played duke more in the past 5 years, than FSU has.... Bama played the 2-10 duke, noone batted an eye and the SEC posts a stat that they continue to beat the ACC head to head. But FSU plays them in a championship game, and sec be like "duke is garbage"

UF vs UM last year..... oh, great game
    FSU vs undefeated top 10 UM..... UM is overrated.

meanwhile.... FSU keeps winning, and teams like Bama, claim beating a 4-8 team is a quality win.

I'm still not convinced OSU is as bad as the SEC marks are hoping they are. unranked OSU almost beating FSU sounds better to the agenda than FSU beating the Big XII champs in a close game.... Time will tell on that one.

meanwhile, FSU keeps winning

South Carolina almost loses to Vandy.... SEC fans be like "SEC is tough" even though UMass took Vandy to the end.

Meanwhile, FSU keeps winning

My remaining worries for the season, barring some wild upset....

Louisville on a Thursday
    Notre Dame (although beating Mich is not as impressive as people want to make it out to be)
    Miami and UF because they are rivalry games

5. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I do understand your hatred for the SEC. It's nothing new. The East Division of the SEC is no better than is the ACC. I'd never try to deny that. Plenty of football left to play. We'll see how it shakes out. I'll post my opinions, and you can post yours.

6. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

why is the west better....

Bama
    AU

that's it.

How is that different than FSU/Clemson on the same side of the ACC? and FSU/Clemson at least won their BCS games, whereas, AU/Bama did not.

lsu was not a good team last year with 5 losses
    aTm was not a good team last year with 4 losses
    arkansas?

This is the problem with over ranking teams like LSU. It serves one purpose... to help whichever team from Alabama that's winning so they can count it as a "quality win"

my top 4, is

1. FSU
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Bama
    4. Oregon

Mich State is close
    Auburn is my 5th team

Beyond that... not real concerned as 6-25 is a lot more fluid . I will say, aTm is way high right now. They beat a SC team, when SC is not that good this season... But they play bama and AU, so we will see which of the 3 is the legit team as the season progresses.

7. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Michigan State? ;)

That's funny!

8. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

they hung with Oregon right up til the end....

I'm not saying they are world beaters, but they are close to the playoff spot, so long as they win the big x, and teams above them lose out.

if you figure, aTm AU and Bama, all teams ahead of MSU, play each other, they could eliminate 2./3 from being ahead of them.

a good point was made at the Oregon game.... if you automatically eliminate MSU out of playoff contention because they chose to travel to Oregon, and lost, you punish them for seeking out tougher competition. when they could have just as easily, scheduled Miami of Ohio, won, and would still be undefeated and very much in the talk of all the playoff discussion. Teams like Ok State, MSU, will quit scheduling Oregons and FSU's to play, and only play their conference games, and creampuffs

9. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

You got one thing right. Teams will be eliminated from contention as they lose and when Top 10 teams play one another, one of them must lose. That is what is reflected in my weekly Top 10 ranking.

10. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

it's why I just want to stick to who I think will get into the playoffs.

Having AU or Bama both in it is unrealistic as they play in late November. It would have happened last season though, I realize... but I don't think it will this year.

11. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I don't think that I've ever argued that it will happen. Auburn looks like a 9-3 team to me so far this season. They were very lucky to get out of Manhattan with a W. I gave Oregon a lot of credit for beating Michigan State, but that was before I realized just how bad the B1G actually is this year. The SEC East is weak. They probably will be until such time as Florida and Tennessee get their houses back in order. The SEC west will cannibalize one another and it will be impossible for a single West Division team to end the season undefeated. Still, looking at any measure (bowl wins, OOC wins, National Championships), the SEC has been the most dominant conference in college football recently, and over the long term. It is what it is.

12. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

I know you didn't say it.

I see AU the same way... they haven't had back to back 10 wiin seasons since 89

Oregon.... MSU.... hard to say.... Oregon did not look good against Washington state, and a ref not calling pass interference saved the game for them

but think of this... how many times has 2 undefeated teams played for the title? def not in a a few years.

I think 1 will be an undefeated team, and 2/3/4 will be a one loss team. If the SEC is the undefeated team, look for a 1 loss sec team to get in the 4th spot. If the SEC champs are a 1 loss team.... I don't see how a 2nd, 1 loss SEC team gets in.

13. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I'll just wait until the season ends to see who the top 4 teams are. It's difficult enough to speculate about what will happen next week.

14. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

wow... way to predict the future, after the season is done.... is that so you can say you were right? are you ready to make your "predictions" on AU vs FSU game from this past January?

15. sec

sec Well-Known Member

hmm, why the hatred toward me :eekeyes:

anyway, LSU has shown that they lack a QB. MS state is a solid team but by no means a top 4 team. It was painful to watch Les not make a QB switch during the game. Heck, even the JXVL Jags swallowed their arrogance and put Bortles into the game against the Colts. Jennings just doesn't appear to have what it takes to deal with pressure. IMO, Harris should be given the nod and let's see what he can do.

I screamed every time Bama coughed up the ball because that keeps Muskrat in FL a little longer. I also yelled at the TV when Bama took their foot off of the pedal and wanted to see them break 50 points.

16. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I'm not here to make predictions. The only predictions that I made were in the preseason rankings. You can fantasize to your heart's content about how this season will end. What I'm doing here is adjusting my rankings based upon the results of each week's games. I overestimated the quality of South Carolina's team in my preseason ranking. I also overestimated the overall quality of the B1G conference. I gave both LSU and Oregon too much credit for their wins over Wisconsin and Michigan State. I never believed that Clemson would have a good football team this year, and I was right about that. LSU suffers from youth and inexperience, but they are still better than any team in the SEC East, in my opinion. Mississippi State has a very good football team this year. We won't know how good FSU is until they play Notre Dame.

I know that there is an unwritten rule among the AP and Coaches poll voters to leave the returning champion from last year in first place until such time as they lose a game. I have no problem with them doing so, but it is an irrational rule. My rankings won't adhere to that rule. That may cause you to get your panties in a wad from time to time, but FSU only needs to win their games to receive the respect that they deserve from me. In the end, first place won't matter until after the playoff. I'll be surprised if the current top 4 teams in my ranking are not the four teams that qualify for the playoffs when all is said and done, but that's why they play the games.

17. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

I like the "start where you finish" idea.... that way, #secbias doesn't put a 5 loss team at the end of the previous year, who loses 9 players and then magically, they end up in the top 15....

18. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

This is the final BCS ranking for 2013:

1. Florida State
    2. Auburn
    3. Michigan State
    4. South Carolina
    5. Missouri
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Alabama
    8. Clemson
    9. Oregon
    10. UCF

I'm sure that you like the ranking for the #1 team, because of your #FSUBIAS.

This was my preseason ranking:

1. Florida State
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Oregon
    5. Auburn
    6. Ohio State
    7. UCLA
    8. Michigan State
    9. Baylor
    10. South Carolina

Which one would you say provided a more accurate assessment of where we are now?

19. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

well, that and they actually won. I support all defending champs getting the #1 spot, but I think it should apply all the way down.

I never claimed where they start is where they will finish this season... that's why we play. Preseason polls starting where they finish allows a better chance of giving teams like Boise State their chance to win or lose it, instead of finishing #5 every year, then starting #25 the next year, only to finish #5 again.

I don't think Boise could beat the elite teams... but they never get the chance either..... meanwhile, Bama gets 2 chances

20. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Boise opened against Ole Miss. They had their chance.

FSU will have an opportunity to prove that they belong in the discussion on October 18.

21. sec

sec Well-Known Member

that's the beauty of college ball as the teams change yearly. Sure, UCF ended as #10 but would anyone consider them a top 25 pre-season this year?

LSU showed no evidence of having an offense this year and thus why I was on the fence about them

MS State should not really surprise anyone and they will have a decent season

GA suffers from Richtosis where the coach has occasional lapses in common sense. GA is a quality team

as of right now, I am pulling for Tenn, LSU, GA, FSU, Mizzou, Vandy, S Carolina and even E Kentucky

I wish them all easy victories over FL

22. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

I have both Georgia and Texas A&M on upset alert this weekend. I think they're both overrated.

23. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

losses will correct that.... but it's not fair, if they are like Boise State, to end in the top 10 year after year, only to be just a little too far out to have a chance.

#secbias

they lost a LOT of good players, from a 5 loss team, yet somehow, I'm to believe they are a #13 preseason?

The difference maker is their qb.... it's amazing what the right one man can do. Ask AU with and without Cam Newton

I can't disagree....

FL is in process of a full out meltdown.... you have Emmitt Smith, and some other HOF reciever, all openly criticizing Driskell (like he is the problem) UF's problems are WAAAYYYYY more extensive than QB. I do chuckle at the complaints. I remember them all "I can't wait til Brantley leaves, he sucks" now they are saying the same thing about Driskell.

Here's an idea... coach up your qb's better. UF fans expect every qb to be Tebow apparently, pre-made, no coaching necessary. Tebow's, Cam Newtons, and Jameis Winston's don't just show up at your doorsteps every year. Either get better at recognizing and recruitting the next Tebow/Winston out there.... or coach your talent up. Brantley wasn't a bad qb. But when you try to run a wildcat with a pocket passer, disaster happens. He was set up for failure by UF's unwillingness to adjust to his strengths.

24. JavisBeason

JavisBeason New Member

GA UT..... well, I don't deny UT is better, I gotta cheer for GA since the wifey went there. I dang sure will be pulling for UT NEXT week. But I also have a buddy who is a diehard UT fan.... I shall have fun bugging him, taking pics of me in GA swag and posting on his facebook. It will be a fun schmack talk weekend..... if GA wins.

aTm/ark..... I think aTm is very overrated right now. Well, maybe overrated is a bad term.... I don't think SC is that good, so beating them is not as impressive to me, as everyone is trying to make it out. They haven't been truley tested yet is the best way to put it.

25. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer New Member

Even Coach Spurrier admitted that the Gamecocks aren't a very good team this year. A&M hasn't really played anyone besides SC. Arkansas is a much better team than they were last year. On paper, Georgia should win by 2 or 3 touchdowns. They have better talent. Tennessee is very young and inexperienced, but I still like their chances to pull an upset on the Dawgs. Mark Richt may be a nice guy, but he's a lousy Head Coach.