My wife said her health insurance is going up 20% to 40% next year.

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by slackercruster, Sep 22, 2014.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

My wife's job warned her all the employees health plans are going up next year 20% to 40%. I thought Obamacare was going to improve things. Her health plan went downhill in coverage, deductible way up and is skyrocketing in cost.

2. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Unionize. Bargain for your benefits package. Best way to help control costs. My benefits are bargained for and my health care has been totally unaffected.

3. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

tell us what plan she had and which company plan she is getting... then maybe we will believe you

cost before and after will help too

is she adding you this year, adding kids, more details please....

is your employers plan cheaper, may want to check.... maybe it would be cheaper for you to pay for her coverage then for her to pay for yours

4. FreshAir

pre-ACA

"Wal-Mart Memo Suggests Ways to Cut Employee Benefit Costs " 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/business/26walmart.ready.html?pagewanted=all

"Wal-Mart executives said the memo was part of an effort to rein in benefit costs, which to Wall Street's dismay have soared by 15 percent a year on average since 2002. Like much of corporate America, Wal-Mart has been squeezed by soaring health costs. The proposed plan, if approved, would save the company more than $1 billion a year by 2011."

"Ms. Chambers acknowledged that 46 percent of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million United States employees were uninsured or on Medicaid."

an interesting Article, Walmart claims Healthcare raising by 15% a year back in 2005 under complete republican control...

5. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

They can't. they are a small company with enough people to demand insurance by Obamacare but not enough for a union.

6. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

Don't have any of the details. She had Bluecross for a few years. I don't know the costs, we keep our finances separate. Her company has a record of changing health plans every few years so don't know if it will be Bluecross for next year. No, no additions. She is getting older 61, maybe every year you age in your 60's hits you hard?

I don't have insurance myself, so I don't pay much attention to her details. We can see what happens with the other people out there. She said this is the season for health plans to be fixed for the following year. So if it is going to be a common thing we should know soon. It may well be unique to her company. Either other peoples plans will stay the same, go down in cost (did that ever happen?) or go up.

I can say last year they reduced benefits over the last couple years. 2 years ago there was no deductible for her. Last year she had a big deductible.

7. Riot

Riot New Member

Wait I thought Obama said no one will be exempt form obama care and doing their fair share. How did the unions get exempt?
    Another Obama lie.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...nt-as-other-self-insured-groups-get-scrooged/
    Why only the unions? Obama said no one will be exempt. How and why did this happen?
    Surely the unions care about the sick and the poor to do their fair share.
    Obama lies again and the lefties here don't care

8. gamewell45

Just a quick question; how many people work for the company?

9. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

My wife said her sister, who is a nurse, is getting a premium boost from $130 to $268 per pay period. As I said the season for next years health plans is at hand, so will see who else gets hit.

I have never voted, I think politicians are power hungry (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)s, both sides of the fence. So I don't play favorites. But the mandate always struck me as a scam to make it illegal to not have ins then we have a captive audience to rape at will.

If the raises keep continuing year after year then that is what it is. If the fudging politicians had their way they would tax you to breathe and make it illegal to take a breath without paying tribute.

But we will just have to wait to see how it all turns out.

10. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Sounds like her employer is giving her the business and she hasn't figured that out yet.

11. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

I've found over the years that when it comes to insurance inexpensive policies are crap and you dont find out how bad they are until you try to collect....if someones policy has shot up in price 20-40% since the changes were mandated that indicates to me it was a crap policy to begin with...

12. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

that indicates to me you had a good policy, the bottom line wasn't effected by new regulations....

13. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

You mean you didn't save $2500 per year and keep your plan/doctor? Wut? Couldn't be.

EDIT: before I get blasted for not realizing the difference between a plan bought on the exchanges and an employer plan, let me add "/sarcasm" to this.

14. gamewell45

You are absolutely correct on that. Our medical benefits plan not only met, they exceeded the new regulations and as such, there were no changes for us.

15. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

I found out this week that next year is the last year our company will offer a regular PPO plan. After that, it's all high deductible plans. I don't know anything about costs yet, but I can imagine...

16. hudson1955

hudson1955 Well-Known Member Past Donor

this has already started happening to many employees working for smaller Corporations and smaller businesses. But wait until the small employer, small group health insurance mandate kicks in the next month or two. More small group insurance that small businesses have carried for more than 20 plus years, such as ours; will no longer be available, unable to be renewed and will be to costly for us to carry and offer our employees. Our options will be to increase their salaries while dropping health insurance all together. Hoping they can find affordable coverage through the exchange. And as for the employer and his family; they will likely find it difficult to find insurance as costly as they previously had and will find themselves paying for coverage they don't even need and will never need due to their ages.
    And as far as small business that are not incorporated and pay taxes on their income at ordinary tax rates (not corporate rates). They will not be able to afford small group insurance, forced to drop it and many will not be able to raise their employees wages due to loss of the health insurance deduction, which will lead to them paying higher ordinary taxes.

Then, it will be employees left to find coverage and pay for it out of their own pockets. A those that earn too much will not get a premium subsidy and those that earn too little also will get no subsidy. Those in States that expanded Medicaid will possibly qualify for their States Medicaid, welfare program. Those in States that refused to expand Medicaid, will not qualify for Medicaid and many will not qualify for the premium subsidy. These individuals are in what I call the "insurance donut hole", much worse than the prescription donut hole the dems blame republicans for.\

No one speaks of the Insurance donut hole, not mainstream media or Congress. They don't want you to know about it.

17. smevins

smevins New Member

My BC/BS policy is going up 25% this year. Just got the notice this week.

18. CourtJester

So how does BC/BS justify the increase?

19. smevins

smevins New Member

Don't know. They just said "This will be your new monthly rate" and I did the math from there. Don't recall if they gave an explanation as to why. I quick read it and tossed the letter about a month ago. Isn't like I have a choice in the matter. For me in no subsidy land, there isn't anyone else really that would be cheaper since I am on a grandfathered policy. I write it off as a business expense, so less tax dollars for the Democratic crack vote-a-thon either way ;)

20. CourtJester

If you can actually write it off as a business expense then you are truly in subsidy land. Maybe you are part of the problem if you don't care enough to remember how the increase is being justified.

21. FreshAir

Obama compromised with republicans, we did not get the public option

- - - Updated - - -

my BC/BS policy stayed the same, weird

22. Lil Mike

Negative. I don't know why you guys keep pimping this false line. Republicans didn't have anything to do with the public option. Obamacare was a Democrat only bill.

23. FreshAir

"Obama, GOP's Snowe work on health care compromise"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/02/health.care.compromise/

"The compromise plan would lack a government-run public health insurance option favored by Obama, but would leave the door open to adding that provision down the road under an idea proposed by Snowe, the sources said."

republicans got there way on that one, we have the individual mandate, rather then Obama's public option....

24. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

But we got the very plan he promised but it didn't really contain any of the promises. Republicans didn't make him lie about it.

25. Lil Mike

Those talks collapsed. Snowe didn't vote for the plan. Why do you guys want to share credit for this crap plan...oh yeah!