Where is this Union Going?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by alexa, Sep 22, 2014.

1. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have to say it was interesting to hear the moment the vote was in of English intentions to bring in a similar thing to Scotland for the whole of England! This was never what was perceived by Charter 88 with whom John Smith announced his intent to bring democracy back to the United Kingdom. The intention was always Regional Assemblies in England, not one block...but of course this has not happened. Partly because of the way it was presented to them - just more bureaucracy to pay for, or fear of London running off with all the loot, these were rejected....and so now, with I have to say the development of English Nationalism which does certainly as presented by UKIP appear to have a heavy does of ethnic Nationalism in comparison to the inclusive civic Nationalism of Scotland we find England sees itself as being devolved as one piece regardless of the reality that it has over ten times the population of Scotland and twenty times that of Wales.

Yesterday I began to get a hint of how this might end up in resolving Scotland's issue of Independence through this article

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-lie-wont-fly/#more-61925

but today I have found a much more interesting one suggesting what has been going on and where we are headed.

Enjoy!

What do you think? How do you see the Union developing or crumbling?

2. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

I had trouble deciding where to put this. It would fit in several threads. Looks maybe it was Redwood who gave Cameron the idea to lie about the Barnett Formula by just making Scot's pay more tax instead. Really do not understand how that one is supposed to be getawayable with. Anyway, I looked at the comments after the Redwood text I am referring to and found this one

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2014/09/19/does-devo-more-mean-more-money-for-scotland/

Obviously this is of a muchness of many posts and what they want - to screw the Scot's and enjoy getting Labour at the same time and it is true Labour is moving in the direction of the Tories here. I suspect Peter Arnott possibly has the situation quite well in the OP. Interesting times of intrigue.