Which way to elect?

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by Arphen, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Arphen

Arphen Banned

Every newly elected president for us is like the Wizard of Oz for Dorothy. We all hope that he will make our lives better, by giving someone brains or good future to other...We believe in his promises...
    Like a russian roulette

2. sec

sec Well-Known Member

let's look at the current POTUS

in all honesty, what promises has he not kept? You can say he has not closed GITMO but that's minor.

He has taken the first step toward socialized health care by making insurance more expensive for the working stiff and "affordable" for the takers.With premiums continuing to rise, along with out of pocket costs, people will beg for full govt run health care. So, by breaking a good system he is moving toward a promise he made

He vowed to raise or keep high energy prices. He has succeeded

He said he would bring home the troops from Iraq. Who cares what the fallout was, he kept his promise. Even if troops go back (and they are) he did "bring them home"

He said he would get the UE number down and with more Americans not in the labor pool, the number has dropped. More part time jobs have been created so 2 people get work vs the old method of a single full time worker. Again, promise kept

3. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

The reality is...

Sometimes we elect people with ability, character and experience... hoping they will fix the ills of the country, help to protect the country from enemies, or in general help to provide a better way of life.

Other times we vote for celebrity, popularity, and skin color.

4. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Ooooooo! Very nice! A word of caution though; Left or Right, not all of our posters are all that good at recognizing satire. I find that it pays to preface such things with the caution of "A bit of political satire folks . . . "

5. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

In regards to the United States presidential elections, here's what I do -- when I am considering a GOP candidate for the presidency, I study the criticisms flung at him (or eventually her) by the Left. But whenever it is a DEM candidate I study the criticisms flung at him (or eventually her) by the Right; and I do so from the standpoint of honestly trying to decide if those criticisms are germane to the issue at hand; i.e., voting for the most qualified and competent candidate possible who's at least in roughly the same geographical region as I in regard to basic ideology.

But ideology takes a distinct third place to either background qualifications or a history of over all competence . . . which is why I voted for Hillary Clinton during the 2008 primaries and then after her defeat, I held my nose and reluctantly voted for John McCain; because both of those contenders were vastly more experienced than Barack Obama in ways that actually counted and both of them had a record of being fundamentally competent whereas Barack's political record over all gave new meaning to the term 'super featherweight'.

Nonetheless one can be skunked even if one's chosen candidate wins. Look at Barack Obama for instance where sane Dem Party voters are concerned. The man not only has turned out to be a disaster as president -- to this point in time anyway -- but has been actively hurting the Dem Party's chances of holding on to any meaningful degree of power or influence in this nation.

But Right of the political divide can be just as iffy. Bitter dead-ender types aside, few Republicans or conservatives ended up being happy about G.W. Bush when all was said and done. Compassionate Conservative? Really? Who in the hell ever bought into that load of bilge water? Self-serving warmonger (where the unprovoked invasion of Iraq was concerned) is more like it. So . . . no matter what, it boils down to -- usually -- trying to decide between bad and worse. Sad . . . but there you have it.

6. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have never, not one time, ever... had a candidate I could enthusiastically vote for. In 2008, in my disgust with GWB, and in my disbelief that the GOP would allow Palin onto the ticket, one pacemaker glitch away from the BIG chair (not because she's a woman mind you, but because she's an idiot), and in my fear that McCain would just bring more GWB idiocy, I shamefully voted for BHO. My thinking at the time was, here's a guy who has absolutely no executive experience, no foreign policy experience, no economic experience, but has an iconic presence and the country could use a 4 year term of "healing" with this guy who will be totally out of his league, and will probably do nothing of note.

Man, was I wrong about that one. Electing BHO has been like turning a 5 year old loose on a bulldozer; laughing hysterically as he drives aimlessly through downtown flattening everything in his path. You can't really blame him for his stupidity or the damage he does, because after all, WE put him on the bulldozer.

I have lost any hope of honesty, integrity, or competency ever returning to our government. If I detect a candidate with two out of three of those qualities; (s)he'll get my vote regardless of party affiliation.

7. sec

sec Well-Known Member

not at all

if you carefully parse his words, our POTUS has kept his word