What is "wrong" with the NRA?

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Elmer Fudd, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd New Member

I have seen some folks saying the NRA is over the top or corrupt or something. Specifically, what are their excesses to which you refer?

and things like 1) they support gun ownership no matter what, or
    2) they are supported by the firearms industry

is not good enough, that is simply who they are

HINT: they pi** off Obama and other liberals so they get two thumbs up from me to start with:thumbsup:

2. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

You know how there were polls that said 90% of Americans wanted gun regulation and then it didn't pass in part because of the influence the NRA had over lawmakers? That's why people don't like them. It's part of the hate on lobbyists who don't support the will of the people.

3. SiNNiK

SiNNiK Well-Known Member

What pisses me off most about them is that they take up all these dues from members and they waste it by hiring some celebrity to do a jingle for them. And the glossy photo mail outs? Jeez, how much did that cost? They could take a page out of the 2 Amendment Foundation's playbook and put their resources to better use.

4. SiNNiK

SiNNiK Well-Known Member

You mean the polls where they lied to you and you believed them? Yeah, I remember those. Matter of fact it was what prompted me and all my friends to start calling all of our representatives and telling them that in no circumstance should any our 2A rights be whittled away, period. The NRA had very little to do with that.

5. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

I have asked for these polls with the questions and demographics and not one of you who make this claim will supply it........

6. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

The sooner gun owners realize that the NRA is about gun manufacturers and right wing politics and not about gun owners rights then the better off we would all be. And if your entire political view point is to support someone who is disliked by the left then you are not thinking and thus ready to be one of the many sheep the right wing loves to fleece.

7. SiNNiK

SiNNiK Well-Known Member

Now, just so I understand, are you saying that the NRA benefits from manufacturers, or is it the manufacturers that benefit from the NRA?

8. Karma Mechanic

Karma Mechanic Well-Known Member

two way street.
    NRA is the lobby of the manufacturers who help the NRA raise money to pay people like that LaPierre bigot who makes about $1 million a year.

9. SiNNiK

SiNNiK Well-Known Member

Now if there had ever been any legislation, anywhere, ever, that stated something like:

"All handguns with a magazine capacity larger than 7 rounds will have to be registered as a weapon of war, except Glock. Oh and Ruger. They're exempt."

I could at least see how you would make that connection where the NRA benefits the manufacturers. But, there hasn't been any law, proposed or otherwise, that said anything remotely similar to the ridiculous scenario I just described. So why do you say such a thing?

And just how do the manufacturers "raise money" for the NRA? Do you reckon the gun makers just give money to the NRA? How does that work in your head?

And if LaPierre makes that much, good on him.

10. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

My only problem with them is they:

1) Never sent me the NRA branded duffel I was supposed to get when I renewed my membership, and
    2) Spam me relentlessly in both my email, and my physical mailboxes.

11. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

So what? Gun manufacturers and gun owners have a common interest in preserving gun rights, and since the "progressive" politics is is all about controlling people and taking their rights away (and not just the right to bear arms) then its natural that gun owners and manufacturers oppose "progressives".

More power to the NRA, gun owners, and gun manufacturers.

And since you hate this link between industry and people, you must truly despise unions and the "green" industry.

12. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

LOL, the money the NRA gets from Mfg is less than 4% of it's total income, the rest comes from NRA members. You sure have bought into the left wing propaganda.

13. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

So are yo going to explain why the polls were wrong or are you just going to say that without supporting evidence?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gallup.com/poll/162083/americans-wanted-gun-background-checks-pass-senate.aspx

14. SiNNiK

SiNNiK Well-Known Member

Why on earth would I have to do that? You have the very same Google I have. I googled it for grins, lookit what I found. I bet you can do that too.

"Indeed the notion that the NRA isn’t representing members of the NRA has become a common claim made by gun control organizations. But there were a couple major problems with these poll numbers: 1) People were really just being asked about whether they wanted to keep criminals from getting guns, not about a particular piece of legislation. 2) The surveys asked a vague question with no information on how the current system works.

There was a poll in April by the PEW Research Center that gets at the first issue and I think is much more accurate. It asks people whether they are happy that the Senate gun control bill was stopped in April. Apparently, both Republicans and Independents are generally happy that it was stopped by 51-to-34 and 48-to-41 margins."

15. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

where is the part that ways under these conditions that a data base must be created and everyone in the US will be in it? whether or not you desire to exercise your 2nd A Rights? I can do a random sampling asking if cell phones interfere with driving.......
    The question would read something like this:
    Should Americans have a background check to buy a cell phone who intend to drive and cell at the same time?
    Understand that so many accidents are cause by people who drive and cell at the same time.
    Yes or No
    See how easy that was?

16. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

The NRA doesn't lobby. The NRA-ILA lobbies. They are two separate organizations, monetarily.

17. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Just because the people as a whole want something doesn't mean it's a good thing. It's silly to make major decisions based on a recent crisis. For the most part, those things are knee jerk, and not very rational or even helpful. The laws proposed after Sandy Hook would not have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre.....

18. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

notice they don't discuss Bloomberg's baby, Mayors Against Guns and all the money (millions and millions) tossed out by Bloomberg and the lies Bloomberg spreads. They are just pissed because no matter how much money they waste, no matter how many lies they spread, the 2nd A still stands :clapping:

19. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

To get a bill even to the floor for a debate and a vote means that it has to go through the process that is designed to stop those sorts of bills. This is not something that was all of a sudden. The US has been rocked by mass shootings since Giffords about 4 years ago. When the senate got to the floor, it was with the push of 3 years worth of work, not something the mob wanted on a spur of the notice.

20. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Because as the person making a claim you have to back that claim up. It's so that we're on the same page, it means less confusion. So let's see the PEW research center poll. Or how about the story you quoted. I can't debate something when I don't know anything about who wrote it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry what are you saying is wrong with the poll? You asked for questions and demographics. Gallup poll did it.

21. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

rocked???? lmffao.....more people are killed in the Mideast and Africa. Dude, they've been after the Bill of Rights before the ink dried on the Constitution.
    Why would you surrender my Rights? You do not have in listed anywhere in your Rights to do such a thing.
    The 2nd A, like the rest of the BoR are Individual Rights, not collective. You can only relieve me of my Rights with Due Process, once I have violated someone else's Rights.
    Your Rights end where mine begin. Period

22. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

While it's any method, this is important to realize.
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/compare/85/rate_of_homicide_any_method/194
    My position in this this is why people don't like the NRA. I don't support a lot of what the gun control crowd is saying because I believe that it's not hitting what is actually causing people to go out and buy guns.

23. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

let's take a look at the poll again. It was done so soon after the SH shooting. Emotions were running high. The question did not explain the necessary information for such a question. Hence, my example:

[video=youtube;n02qgqtpRKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02qgqtpRKY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

You can design a question for a specific result

24. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

I realize several things.
    One, it is my Right, not privilege
    Two, the only ones howling about guns are the Progressive Liberals.
    Three, since there can be no correlation between criminals and the 2nd A, the arguments are worthless.
    Four, most of the lawful owners, who are not violating anyone else's Rights, the alarmists want to hold all gun owners accountable for the acts of a few.
    Here's a fact, in case it has been overlooked: The BoR are Individual, not collective

25. 1wiseguy

1wiseguy New Member

We already have gun regulation. What gun regulation are you speaking of and what problem was it going to sovle? The only proposals I am aware of were inane regulations that were being proposed only for regulations sake that that did nothing to slove any problems.