The Florida Governors fan 'fiasco' (per the Tampa Tribune moderator's office)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cpicturetaker, Oct 16, 2014.

1. cpicturetaker

cpicturetaker New Member

I'm putting up a second thread 'cause this cuts through the SPECULATION. I called the TAMPA TRIBUNE about an hour ago to specifically ask what happened regarding THE fan. I talked to an assistant in the newsroom. Adam Smith, who was one of the moderators wasn't available. She read me the rule (whether she had the LIVE print out of the rules, I don't know--she could of just googled it).

She read "NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES" were allowed. I totally completely get THAT. No notepads/notebooks, Ipads, phones, no googling, looking up S with the aid of a device and no handler whispering in the candidate's ear through an earpiece. I 100% agree!! If these 2 clowns can't stand on their own 2 feet and speak coherently from their own brain, their policies and thoughts, I don't want EITHER of them. An 8 or 10 inch fan ain't an electronic device. The term 'prop' was an exclusion as well. That's a still a stretch. (And besides Scott whined about 'no electronic devices').

This Democratic Floridian thinks Scott was total ass about this! This 'political junkie' just thinks it was petty and bad political theater. He should have stepped out on that stage, kept his mouth shut and debated and if wanted to later, (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) about it. 7 minutes of 'dead air' was stoooopid and apparently phones all over the state are ringing this AM, not to mention it hit all MEDIA.

(Incidentally, Crist apparently has a small fan with him at most podiums or speeches wherever. So we now know Crist is a sweater. OMG).

"Are we really going to debate a fan?" Crist said while standing alone on stage. Several minutes later, Scott relented and joined the debate.
    "That has to be the most unique beginning to any debate," Rodriguez said as Scott walked onto the stage. From there, the moderators largely tried to ignore the episode.

And on Thursday, Scott tried explain why his opponent needed a fan in the first place. "I think he was sweating and he needed a fan. I'm surprised he didn't try to ask for dry ice," Scott said. That could have actually been a solution to the standoff that took up the first seven minutes of the debate because Scott's protest flamed over Crist's apparent disregard for a previous agreement that electronic devices would be banned from the stage

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/politics/florida-debate-fangate/index.html?hpt=po_c2

2. cpicturetaker

cpicturetaker New Member

This is an editorial from the same paper. The most IMPORTANT part of this is the fact that our governor couldn't remember legislation he signed into law! Now that's sad and he has ALWAYS skirted the impropriety of a blind trust he signed over to--HIS WIFE...(BS!)

Scott also got his facts wrong on several occasions. He denied he signed into law the legislation that bans the state's insurance commissioner from regulating health care rates for two years, when that is exactly what he did. The incumbent also incorrectly claimed Crist signed the 2006 law that enabled Duke Energy to bill ratepayers more than $3 billion for nuclear plants that are broken or won't be built. That was Gov. Jeb Bush. Crist called him on that and portrayed Scott as a pawn of the electric utilities, which have given at least $2.5 million to Scott's re-election effort and the Republican Party.

Asked about placing his personal assets in a blind trust, Scott again incorrectly suggested he is doing exactly what Bush and former Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink did in setting up blind trusts. In fact, Bush and Sink mirrored the federal blind trust law and listed both the value and the assets held in the blind trust. Scott's blind trust falls sort of that disclosure.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-crist-more-forward-looking-in-debate/2202317

3. PeppermintTwist

PeppermintTwist Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have to wonder if Scott would refuse to debate a candidate with a pacemaker. What a lame Scott is. He runs away from questions all the time, so I'm wondering why he ever agreed to debate in the first place.

4. Minotaur

Minotaur New Member

Fox13 Tampa Bay updated that the pre-debate team got signed edits that omitted that part about fans. Scott gave them a copy of the original rules without the approved edits it appears. That may be why he said he didn't come out for something else rather than the fan. Someone probably informed him. Either way it was a silly reason to boycott. lol

5. cpicturetaker

cpicturetaker New Member

I just came back from an errand, NPR was on. A Miami political reporter was laughing about this story. Seems old Charlie, has forever used fans. Even when he was a Republican. This guy says Charlies FEC filings for political/campaign expenditures included 'FANS'. He apparently has always used FANS.

I was talking to him (Charlie) a few weeks ago at an event. He's a really skinny guy but apparently he is a 'sweater'.

6. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Unless his fan was coal powered its clearly an electronic device.

7. cpicturetaker

cpicturetaker New Member

Scott has that 'bugged eye' look and half the time, whether being asked by press a question or voters, he looks TERRIFIED. I have no idea if he
    is or not, but he gets this 'deer caught in headlights' look frequently. So I wonder if he was 'freaking out' for some reason and saw an 'out' to the debate. As
    soon as Crist went on stage and started talking, SCOTT was 'forced' onto the stage. It was a weird moment.

8. cpicturetaker

cpicturetaker New Member

Take it up with this source....(Besides ELECTRICITY is often--too often--generated with COAL).

Our computer works with electricity, but formally speaking it's an electronic apparatus. A digital watch is also electronic although it works with electricity supplied from a small battery. A light bulb and a flashlight, which is pretty much the same thing, are electric appliances. Believe or not, your brain is electric. Emotion: smile

Electronic is used to refer to equipment, such as television sets, computers, etc., in which the current is controlled by transistors, valves, and similar components and also to the components themselves. Electrical is used in a more general sense, often to refer to the use of electricity as a whole as opposed to other forms of energy: electrical engineering; an electrical appliance. Electric, in many cases used interchangeably with electrical, is often restricted to the description of particular devices or to concepts relating to the flow of current: electric fire; electric charge.

9. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

How many fans has Crist bought if he has to buy new ones every time he goes out in public? Do they become obsolete after one use? That practice of continually buying fans indicates that he's fiscally irresponsible.

Scott is the typical dumb Rep, a total waste of oxygen.

10. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Oh, the Tampa Tribune...well, well....who could possibly question their un-bias opinion....or yours?

11. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

n. 1. a device depending on the principles of electronics and using the manipulation of electron flow for its operation.

12. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

The debate sponsors are with Scott. The rules explicitly said no fans (not just no electronic devices). The Crist campaign added somethign saying if there were temp issues, they should be allowed to use a fan. The temp on the podium was 67, the debate sponsors agreed that Crist shouldn't have had the fan. I do agree, that Scott handled it wrong, but he was correct. Crist's group did well in this guerilla warfare.

http://tbo.com/assets/pdf/TB1511016.PDF
    Emphasis added

13. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

You might want to ask the Mods to merge this thread with the other two existing threads on this same issue.