Ebola

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by mister magoo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Why is it I have absolutely no confidence in the Federal and State Governments
    of Australia protecting Australias population from Ebola?
    Maybe ActionMan Abbott can shirt- front the disease....that'll do it.....:frown::frown::frown::frown:

2. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

About time I was wondering how long before this subject came up and wow you have solved it.

3. DominorVobis

Abbott has told the world we couldn't handle it and that we make crap subs but australia is open for sale I mean business.

4. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

It's up to the medical advisors/SME's to provide effective advice to government. Look at the US, they were so caught up in the technical definition of it not being airborne that they didnt use proper procedures to avoid droplet transmission and infected their own nurses LOL. Its the stupidity of the workers and administrators who mess stuff up, not the politicians who trust the responsible parties to do their jobs properly.

The ALP seems to think we should be sending medical people 13000km over to the other side of the world. Considering Spain is only 3000km away, I think Europe can much better handle this situation then little ole Australia which does not even have the equipment for it, even the US is half the distance away then we are and they are hugely more capable. The ALP just whinges about anything because they like to appeal to the lounge chair heros/haterz.

5. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Garbage...no plane from Africa should be permitted to land in Australia...that denial has to come from the PM...
    This Government couldnt find its arse with both hands...let alone handle an Ebola outbreak....medical authorities cant even get the correct order for disrobing....wouldnt you take off your gloves last...not your headgear...
    Blind Freddie can see that.....incompetence...sheer incompetence...

6. axialturban

Which pair, your supposed to have at least 2 pairs of gloves for Ebola. I'd assume you take your outer off first because its the main point of contact, then disrobe layer by layer with the inner gloves last.

7. axialturban

[​IMG]

Totally inadequate. As learnt in the US, you cannot have any exposed skin.

8. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Exactly...and have someone else with gloves on taking your gloves off...but according to the bureaucrat interviewed
    by Lee Sales last nite on 7.30, you take the headgear off last...???

9. DominorVobis

who takes the gloves off the glove takerofferer, someone has to be last, someone has to take off their gloves with their bare hands.

10. axialturban

Wash em with disinfectant before removing them;

SUSCEPTIBILITY TO DISINFECTANTS: Ebolavirus is susceptible to 3% acetic acid, 1% glutaraldehyde, alcohol-based products, and dilutions (1:10-1:100 for ≥10 minutes) of 5.25% household bleach (sodium hypochlorite), and calcium hypochlorite (bleach powder). The WHO recommendations for cleaning up spills of blood or body fluids suggest flooding the area with a 1:10 dilutions of 5.25% household bleach for 10 minutes for surfaces that can tolerate stronger bleach solutions (e.g., cement, metal). For surfaces that may corrode or discolour, they recommend careful cleaning to remove visible stains followed by contact with a 1:100 dilution of 5.25% household bleach for more than 10 minutes.

11. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's a complete non-issue; an excuse to burn a few hundred million more of our dollars.

12. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

I think thats a naive attitude...

13. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why? It's not a very contagious virus - not much worse than HIV/AIDS.

Even in a worst case scenario where tens of thousands contract it, we'd simply take the same precautions we do now with HIV. The main difference is that Ebola stays alive on its own a lot longer: a few days.

[hr][/hr]

I'd bet my savings that in 20 years we'll view the current hysteria around Ebola like we do the hysteria around HIV in the 80s.

Keep flights to and from West Africa open, I say. Don't even screen at airports.

14. axialturban

Dont trust the authorities too much, they are downplaying it to avoid panic... I'm not sure why. It's not technically airborne, but can be caught by coughing and sneezing. Perhaps the nurses and doctors unions want it to break out to make the Lib gov look bad LOL just kidding.

If it was not dangerous, so many healthcare workers in protective gear would not have caught it. It is out of control in West Africa. Hopefully it will be contained in Africa, but if it gets out anywhere else then it's not a good sign and might mean containment is not working as planned.

15. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Compared to what? What kind of authority or structure do you believe would do a better job? What is it about current governments that you think should change? Given this general attitude to the perceived competence of governments long pre-dates the Ebola issue, what have you ever done about it?

Not defending any governments, just interested in what is behind such statements (and whether they're reasoned or instinctive).

16. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Here is an example of the incompetence which runs our country...

On the 7.30 programme today...Queensland Heath Officer Dr Jeanette Young stated that Ebola could only be
    transferred by touching the person with the Ebola symptoms....not correct...
    Ebola can be passed through perspiration...therefore if the sick person visits the toilet...sits down...or even
    simply places his perspiring hands onto parts of the cabin...then the virus could be transferred if someone else touched the same surface.....
    Also...be aware...this virus has the potential to be far, far worse than HIV....therefore my concerns
    for the competence of our authorities to handle this virus are well placed...if you are not concerned, then you are very, very naive.....

- - - Updated - - -

You dont live in Australia, do you.....

17. axialturban

Governments set policy based on advice in these situations. Its not the governments, its the healthcare providers..... for many its just a job and not a profession.

18. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

All you need is one sick guy coming from that part of the world, eg. in a plane, and we are in business. Of course, that is also Labors fault......
    It doesn't matter how many ks we are away, one sick person is enough....
    Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Strange,
    wasn't it you who had the complete opposite stand while the subject was on roof insulation?
    Bloody Liberals.....
    Regards

19. HonestJoe

That depends on what she said exactly. I've seen too much spin, misinformation, misunderstanding and simply poorly worded statements to take this kind of thing on face value.

I'm not aware of any evidence that is likely. I don't think Ebola virus has ever been identified in perspiration and the amount of fluid a person might leave behind in such circumstances would be minimal. There is also the fact that patients are only infectious after they become symptomatic.

For general public advice in western nations where there are no general outbreaks, it's not necessarily beneficial to highlight such a minimal risks given the overreactions and panic it could trigger. Advice is often more effective simple than detailed though more accurate.

I never said I wasn't concerned, I actually only asked about your general attitude towards government. Surely if the government is doing so much wrong you'd want to quickly establish what those things are and who would do better. Simply complaining hardly seems constructive, especially in these circumstances.

No, but your opinion of government is hardly exclusive to Australia and my questions were intentionally general. I don't see how where I live affects your ability to address them.

I note that you haven't yet. :wink:

20. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

If you lived in Australia, you would know that the Beattie/Bligh Government in Qld was kicked out of office three years ago, and the Newman Government won the election with a huge majority. Labor only won seven seats from memory.
    The reason...or one of the reasons was that the Labor Government was selling off all our assets.
    When the LNP came into power under Newman, he started sacking 12,000 public servants...nowadays, he is also selling off assets...
    The Federal Labor Government under Rudd/Gillard/Rudd was kicked out because of their overall incompetence, and nowadays, the Abbott Government is trying to balance the budget which is currently in the hole to the extent of $40billion+...they are also selling off our assets...Abbott is a tosser and Hockey is a tool...anyone in Australia would tell you that....
    Im not going to go into other State government track records, except to say that, atm politicians in Australia are pretty much on the nose.....perhaps some of the coalition or Labor haters can add more to this list of incompetence...I have just scratched the surface....

Oh and by the way...a little googling will tell that Ebola can be passed on through sweat/perspiration...

Cheers...Im going to bed

21. HonestJoe

As I said, just complaining isn't very constructive. Saying what the alternatives should be is more important, especially if you're linking it to something as time-critical as the current Ebola outbreak.

A little googling, like a little knowledge, is a dangerous thing. There is no evidence that anyone had been infected by sweat, especially not indirectly and the science suggests that while it's theoretically possible, it remains unlikely that it would be a source of infection.

As I said, the information put out to the public needs to be structured to be effective without being excessive. That's why the lists of "bodily fluids" includes everything to avoid confusion but the practical precautions advised just say "contact". Anyway, all of that information is coming from the medical organisations like the WHO so isn't really relevant to your position on government.

22. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Hmmm,
    one day all incoming flights from Africa might be cancelled. I don't like the idea, but before a whole nation is infected or under thread, what can you do?
    Trust our doctors or medical boards? Hmmm, nope.....
    Regards

23. axialturban

The difference is the ALP didnt listen to the advice from industry about safety standards in roof insulation... while the Libs are seemingly listening to the appropriate advice, which would seem to be inappropriate. Bloodly lefties, cant think past their agendas.....

24. DominorVobis

OMG, you want people to find the facts before they post, what a unique idea. By the way, do you know what the first thing that goes through my mind when someone prefixes their name with "honest"... and are you a car salesman? I know your not a politician you are too smart.

25. axialturban

Problem is Ebola is not that well understood, as evidenced by the failures to date. It has even been demonstrated as an aerosol in the lab, but its not really known how that translates to out in the field - I'd rather over engineer safety then under.