Music festivals ban native american headresses.

Discussion in 'Civil Rights' started by The Amazing Sam's Ego, Oct 17, 2014.

1. The Amazing Sam's Ego

The Amazing Sam's Ego Banned at Members Request

https://www.yahoo.com/style/glastonbury-festival-takes-action-against-cultural-100184184428.html

I'm Christian, and the cross is a sacred symbol in Christianity. However, it does not offend me the least bit when non-religious people wear it casually as part of fashion. Even if it did offend me, am I going to whine and overreact about how "offensive" people are being by wearing crosses casually.

Some people say it's demeaning for white people (the people who historically oppressed natives) to wear the clothing of natives.

But it's ridiculous that native Americans today would associate the white people of today with their ancestors of thousands of years ago. By that logic, it's okay for blacks and Asians and Latinos and middle eastern people to wear headdresses-but not whites, which is discriminatory logic that makes no sense.

I am Italian, and I have some native american friends, and they dont dislike white people because of what their ancestors did. The past is the past. People move on.

Is it wrong and offensive for non french people to wear berets? Or non Mexicans to wear sombreros? Or people from the eastern US to wear cowboys, which is part of southwestern culture? Or non Scottish people to wear Scottish hands? Or non Irish people to dress up in Irish clothing? The list goes on and on. Cultural appropriation is not offensive or wrong. Cultures adopt different aspects of different cultures.

2. The Amazing Sam's Ego

3. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

Hell we are at least 1/8 th Indian somehow or another. We is a melting pot for the love of Pete. Get over your bad selves.

4. Unifier

Unifier New Member

People who are excessively sensitive create their own daily hell. It's sad that we train people to be this way. Because nobody is born such an abject pansy. It is a learned behavior.

The more you believe in "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," the happier you'll tend to be. Just something to consider.

5. AKRunner88

AKRunner88 New Member

Wow, how ridiculous. To me this is the same as that bull(*)(*)(*)(*) controversy over the Redskins name. If you go out looking to get offended you're going to find a reason to be.

6. The Amazing Sam's Ego

How would you respond to people who say, "a non native wearing sacred clothing casually is disrespectful our culture"? I am asking you this because I havent gotten into a discussion with my friends (who are native american) about this topic yet, and I want to be prepared to give a good counterarguement if they disagree with me.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. If you want to be offended for whatever sensitive reason you have, go right ahead. But that is no valid reason to tell people what they cant wear at a musical festival.

7. Unifier

Unifier New Member

Being offended is a choice. Every single day, every one of us is exposed to things that can potentially offend us. The choice we have is whether we allow those things to ruin our day or whether we choose to shrug them off and go about our business being happy and productive anyway. Too many people waste their entire lives trying to micromanage the thoughts, words, and actions of others. And not only does it irritate the people they are trying to control, but it doesn't even grant the complainers any peace. Because there is always something else to be offended about. They don't realize it, but those people are stuck in a never-ending cycle of hurt feelings. It is their mindset that is causing them so much distress. Not the world around them.

I'll give you another example. The Redskins team name. If you're offended by it, do you know what the easiest way to fix that would be? Turn off the tv. It's really that easy. One click of a button and the offending stimulus is gone. And that's a hell of a lot easier than wasting years of your life on exhausting social crusades to petition and coerce others into begrudgingly acquiescing to irrational demands that won't even bring the demander any peace once they are met.

8. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm surprised we even have the nuts to use the words "Native American headdress" in an articles title anymore....surely someone's cheeks must clench up on seeing the way it looks in print.

9. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Darn tootin'!

That's what I think if someone pees on or burns the flag....don't get your knickers in a twist....:)

10. FoxHastings

What? No more self bumps?? Gone all quiet...was it something I said?

:roflol: :woot: :roflol:

11. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

cultural appropriation. simple as that really. iwould have signed the petition too and its good that glastonbury has decided take the stance. many dont have morals and principles so this is difficult to understand. its similar to christians who where a cross pretending to be egyptians.

12. longknife

longknife New Member

First of all, I know of NO American Indian tribe that EVER permitted women to wear ceremonial headgear like that!

So, to wear it is entirely disrespectful of native culture! :steamed:

Second, the headgear shown is phony as a $3 bill! Probably made in China.

This is a REAL Comanche War Bonnet

[​IMG]

And only a very senior war chief would wear it.

13. FoxHastings

So burning the US flag or wearing it or peeing on it is OK with you.....????

Where did you disappear to.......don't like your own thread???

14. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Women (Lana Del Rey, for example) wearing feathered headdresses looks very pretty, in my opinion.

Native Americans have every right to be offended. Their feelings are not the issue. The issue is them creating rules to push their views on others. If women want to wear headdresses at events because they like it, that's their right. If a native is offended, that's their right. But why do you think its right for them to control what other people can or cant do?

I dont think non natives wear real bonnets at music festivals-thats illegal.

15. The Amazing Sam's Ego

What's wrong with cultural appropration? Is wearing a Mexican hat wrong? Is wearing a cowboy hat (from western culture) wrong? Is it wrong for a cross to be worn as a fashion statement? I dont think so. Cultural appropriation is okay.

How many native americans do you think attend a festival in England? Very few! So why are they trying to control others and telling them what they can or cant do? If their clothing offends you, dont watch videos of the music festival! Our society is so full of politically correct bull(*)(*)(*)(*) these days.

16. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Why are you accusing me of being inconsistent? I thought you agreed with me that banning the headdresss wasnt neccesary.

17. FoxHastings

WHERE did I accuse you of being inconsistent ? NO where....got a guilty conscience?

As usual, you sure can avoid those INCONVENIENT questions...LOL!

18. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

of course not, many mexicans wear them. if you mean is it wrong for saxons to wear them then it could well be wrong. idont go around wearing an ancient egyptian cross because its appropriation. and given the western media has forever attempted to superimpose europeans into the AEgyptian history then its safe to say lets nip this native american thing in the bud before its too late. we all know what happens next dont we.

19. FoxHastings

"""Our society is so full of politically correct bull(*)(*)(*)(*) these days. """

So you won't care if anyone spits on our flag or wipes their nose in it or throws it in the mud and tramples on it....

20. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Whats wrong with cultural appropriation and why should it be banned? Just because natives think it's wrong for women to wear it, doesnt mean they have the right to tell other people what to do at musical festivals that they dont even attend.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be offended, but I would respect peoples right to do things that they choose to do. If people want to wear T shirts with upside down crosses and anti christian symbols, of course that would offend me, because of my religious beliefs. But would I have the nerve to tell them what to wear at concerts? Of course not.

21. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

its a decision glastonbury made, dont be such a tyrant. the decision was cultural appropriation. its like americans pretending the messiah was a saxon, thats cultural appropriation taken to the extreme through centuries of dictatorial rule.

22. FoxHastings

Well some people have the nerve and if they don't like something they take a firm stand.....if everyone was like you we wouldn't even have a country....but you certainly have a right to do nothing...

23. The Amazing Sam's Ego

Why should they take a stand against something that doesnt even affect them? People wearing stylish clothing at a music festival that some people find offensive, is not a good reason to ban it. As Unifer said, if they get so offended, they shouldnt focus on what other people are doing.

Native Americans dont even live in Europe, so why do they care what people do overseas? I say let people wear what they want to wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Comparing the American Revolution-the British controlling the colonists, to this.....people wearing offensive clothing that you can just choose to ignore? Not a valid comparison.

24. J0NAH

J0NAH Banned

Whether native Americans live in Europe or not is irrelevant as they have concerned citizens like me who know full well what this could eventually lead to if its not nipped in the bud.

25. FoxHastings

How do you know it doesn't affect them ?
    Or how much it affects them or why it affects them?
    There ya go again, insisting everyone should feel as you do.....it just doesn't work that way.

Why didn't YOU just ignore the whole thing???????